Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2023 12:19:06 PM EDT
Who owns a Freedom Ordnance FM-9? Who wants one? Looking to get feedback for the future of 9mm belt fed products.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've wanted one for some time but they have not produced them in a while.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmBeltfed] [#2]
We are currently trying to decide what direction we want to go with the project
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I’m in for at least 1. Likely 2.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d be interested. Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bd_p98] [#6]
I want one, been waiting a loooong time! Also, likely to buy 2.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I want one too assuming the run with a binary trigger
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 3:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#8]
I have one.  It's been great.

FM9 9mmKynshot A5 no weight

Freedom Ordnance FM-9 Cyclic rate and LinkTesting

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:
I have one.  It's been great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBjdyqlLaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thFfHQPW5a8

View Quote

Im glad to see its still running strong.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmBeltfed] [#10]
I am guessing everyone in this thread has or is in process of acquiring a registered lower
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingschronicles] [#11]
Originally Posted By 9mmBeltfed:
I am guessing everyone in this thread has or is in process of acquiring a registered lower
View Quote

RDIAS here. It would be really nice if the upper was able to utilize a Cryostructure BFAR lower.

Edit: That would make switching between a Fightlite and the 9mm upper a breeze
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kingschronicles:

RDIAS here. It would be really nice if the upper was able to utilize a Cryostructure BFAR lower.

View Quote

I have no idea what that is lol do you have a link? If its a milspec lower then youre fine if its something custom that's where the issue would be
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
No link…….I fear I’ve already said too much….
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]

I have no idea what that is lol do you have a link? If its a milspec lower then youre fine if its something custom that's where the issue would be
View Quote

I've IMed you a link.

Previously someone with connections to the company selling them were advertising it on ARFCOM with out having a vendor account.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:11:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kingschronicles:

RDIAS owner as well however, I run an MGI lower.
As pictured below, I have a standard AR magwell, that was cut to take the SAW boxes/nutsacks directly AND still accept mags and drums.
I also bought a Cyrostructure BFAR lower just so I could copy the dimensions as I want to make my own magwell that is wider than a standard AR lower to give the SAW boxes more support AND still take mags.

Regarding the FM9, I use my Shrike custom magwell with the FM9 but I have an extra FM9 ejector insert and so I cut it so it is shorter so it matches my magwell and then I just use a SAW nutsack and stuff it with 9mm.

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a registered lower.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I will buy one if you make it. I've been waiting forever for one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#18]
RDIAS owner as well however, I run an MGI lower.
As pictured below, I have a standard AR magwell, that was cut to take the SAW boxes/nutsacks directly AND still accept mags and drums.
I also bought a Cyrostructure BFAR lower just so I could copy the dimensions as I want to make my own magwell that is wider than a standard AR lower to give the SAW boxes more support AND still take mags.

Regarding the FM9, I use my Shrike custom magwell with the FM9 but I have an extra FM9 ejector insert and so I cut it so it is shorter so it matches my magwell and then I just use a SAW nutsack and stuff it with 9mm.

https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/magwells-1024x768.jpg
View Quote

This is very interesting can you send me some video of how all this works together?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m in for at least 2. Plenty of post samples to use.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:04:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vague] [#20]
In for the outcome. Interested in how it works.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:20:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#21]
I have owned one of the original FM9 units for many years (ever since they were first released).  I was part of the original set of purchasers via the pre-order arrangement at the time.

I would love the opportunity to get some spare parts, an extra barrel or two,  or update the unit to a Gen2.  Unfortunately I sort of feel like the platform was abandoned by the manufacturer a couple years after release without any available spare or repair parts available.  Thankfully I bought thousands of links so I am set on that front.

I have registered M16 receivers and a couple of registered lighting links. I milled & welded up my FM9 units bolt carrier to use it with a RLL out of concern for FCG pin hole damage on my registered receivers given its blowback design.  One day I like to get another bolt carrier so I could have a full auto spec BCG as well.

I was also on the belt loader in stock notification for years and it seemed like Freedom Ord never made the belt loader after the initial batch was released.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an original upper and finally dug it out of the closet to start using.

Have had issues with the belt stretching a link apart and breaking with any length greater than 10 rounds and have had zero response from the manufacturer.(see my posts in the beltfed and M16 sections)

I know that these types of produces tend to be popular and then disappear but the company still exists and doesn't seem to support it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By okent:
I have an original upper and finally dug it out of the closet to start using.

Have had issues with the belt stretching a link apart and breaking with any length greater than 10 rounds and have had zero response from the manufacturer.(see my posts in the beltfed and M16 sections)

I know that these types of produces tend to be popular and then disappear but the company still exists and doesn't seem to support it.
View Quote

email me [email protected] and I will get you taken care of.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawkin] [#24]
I was in on the original sale. Love mine. Would like to purchase some extra links and a belt bag. They are always out when i check and the price keeps going up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By hawkin:
I was in on the original sale. Love mine. Would like to purchase some extra links and a belt bag. They are always out when i check and the price keeps going up.
View Quote

We are getting an order of half a million links going. Belt bags I don't know on at the moment. Prices are going up because costs have went up since we ran production years ago.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I have one with a RR and it works well. I don't use it as much since I bought the cmmg radial delayed upper for 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Update:  I got in touch with Josh and he is going to help figure out what the issue is.
Glad that the company is continuing to be available and support the product, even though I have had it sitting a closet for literally 3 years!

Thanks Josh
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
I have owned one of the original FM9 units for many years (ever since they were first released).  I was part of the original set of purchasers via the pre-order arrangement at the time.

I would love the opportunity to get some spare parts, an extra barrel or two,  or update the unit to a Gen2.  Unfortunately I sort of feel like the platform was abandoned by the manufacturer a couple years after release without any available spare or repair parts available.  Thankfully I bought thousands of links so I am set on that front.

I have registered M16 receivers and a couple of registered lighting links. I milled & welded up my FM9 units bolt carrier to use it with a RLL out of concern for FCG pin hole damage on my registered receivers given its blowback design.  One day I like to get another bolt carrier so I could have a full auto spec BCG as well.

I was also on the belt loader in stock notification for years and it seemed like Freedom Ord never made the belt loader after the initial batch was released.

View Quote
+1 similar experience and concerns.
I was told I was customer 1 or 2 that got their delivery.  I too wanted to get some spares but by the time I looked I could see there were Gen2 parts but not in stock.  Not clear what differences the Gen2 brings either.

I have the same concerns with the FCG pin hole damage being straight blowback.  I had anticipated that although it is straight blowback, it does seem smoother than most straight blowbacks due to the amount of energy required to operate the belt feed mechanism.  That said, I run mine with a RDIAS mainly because I dedicate my RR to full auto 22LR setups like the LM7 where I run a lighter hammer spring.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 similar experience and concerns.
I was told I was customer 1 or 2 that got their delivery.  I too wanted to get some spares but by the time I looked I could see there were Gen2 parts but not in stock.  Not clear what differences the Gen2 brings either.

I have the same concerns with the FCG pin hole damage being straight blowback.  I had anticipated that although it is straight blowback, it does seem smoother than most straight blowbacks due to the amount of energy required to operate the belt feed mechanism.  That said, I run mine with a RDIAS mainly because I dedicate my RR to full auto 22LR setups like the LM7 where I run a lighter hammer spring.
View Quote

The gen2 allows you to hand cycle and will generally feed the last round. It was something we did because so many people were complaining they couldn't cycle through belt and I would generally tell them it works great to delink when you fire it lol. If you aren't having issues with a gen1 there isn't a need to buy a gen2 top cover. If you ever needed to send it in for warranty and the top cover needed to be replaced you would get a free upgrade. It's what I told everyone who bought a gen1 when we released the gen2. Save money unless you reeeeally want to cycle through ammo by hand in your living room.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow I forgot how long these have been out.  I was also one of the early purchases. Got my in Sept 2015.  

Josh, it's great to see you are still at Freedom!!  Happy to hear you guys are continuing to support these units.

Reminds me I'm over due getting mine out and running some belts through it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 I want one of these badly.  I search from time to time looking for one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:49:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Any time frame for a "re-Release" date?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Would love to have one to go with my RR. I've looked high and low for them, but to no avail. If you make them again, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#34]

The gen2 allows you to hand cycle and will generally feed the last round. It was something we did because so many people were complaining they couldn't cycle through belt and I would generally tell them it works great to delink when you fire it lol. If you aren't having issues with a gen1 there isn't a need to buy a gen2 top cover. If you ever needed to send it in for warranty and the top cover needed to be replaced you would get a free upgrade. It's what I told everyone who bought a gen1 when we released the gen2. Save money unless you reeeeally want to cycle through ammo by hand in your living room.
View Quote

I would personally upgrade from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 since my upper doesn't feed the last round in the belt probably 90+% of the time.  My personal opinion is this attribute isn't great from a safety aspect as it leave the shooter with an impression that the gun is empty/done but there is almost always a live round left in the feed tray after the gun "runs dry".  Even if you cycle/lock the action back and look in the chamber to confirm its empty you probably won't see that live round still sitting in the feed tray unless you know to pop the top cover and look.

Personally I try and mitigate this live round left in the feed tray issue by always loading a snap cap on the end of my FM9 belts.  That way if a loose round is ever left in the feed tray accidentally by somebody who doesn't know about this issue (and to pop the top cover and sweep the remaining live round out of the gun) its a dummy round vs. a live one that gets left in the gun.

If I could get a top cover that reliably loaded the last round in the belt I would probably upgrade for that feature alone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#35]

I would personally upgrade from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 since my upper doesn't feed the last round in the belt probably 90+% of the time.  My personal opinion is this attribute isn't great from a safety aspect as it leave the shooter with an impression that the gun is empty/done but there is almost always a live round left in the feed tray after the gun "runs dry".  Even if you cycle/lock the action back and look in the chamber to confirm its empty you probably won't see that live round still sitting in the feed tray unless you know to pop the top cover and look.

Personally I try and mitigate this live round left in the feed tray issue by always loading a snap cap on the end of my FM9 belts.  That way if a loose round is ever left in the feed tray accidentally by somebody who doesn't know about this issue (and to pop the top cover and sweep the remaining live round out of the gun) its a dummy round vs. a live one that gets left in the gun.

If I could get a top cover that reliably loaded the last round in the belt I would probably upgrade for that feature alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Maybe I got lucky but I don't think I have that issue.  I think mine always fires the last round.  I need to take mine out again and try it again but would think I would remember if it did that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: linuxgnar] [#36]
I've put my name on the "notify when available" list a couple times over the years.... Never have heard from them though. I just checked and the prices are much higher than I remember, but still oos.  

I'm still 100% interested in one with an extra barrel or two if they're ever made again.  Assuming it'll work with a RLL.  To be honest I just sorta assumed the "second batch" is vaporware at this point.

I'd love to be proven wrong!

ETA: and if you're looking for other ideas.... The world could use a belt fed 22LR upper (that's available).
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#37]
How about a .308 belt fed upper? There must be a way. And if you should find the way, I will pay.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I put my name on the list every year, but never got any response. I'm definitely in for use with an RLL.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I have one too and love it
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hawkin:
View Quote

Price of everything in the world keeps going up. Nobody can make something out of metal for 2016/2017 prices
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By pa123guns:
Wow I forgot how long these have been out.  I was also one of the early purchases. Got my in Sept 2015.  

Josh, it's great to see you are still at Freedom!!  Happy to hear you guys are continuing to support these units.

Reminds me I'm over due getting mine out and running some belts through it.
View Quote

I actually left for awhile then came back April of 2022 lol. It's good to be back and I am excited about many products we are working on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By rcramer:
Any time frame for a "re-Release" date?
View Quote

Unfortunately no but the owners are aware of the traffic we get and have gotten for the belt fed. To explain the whole process of how and when a product gets made is exhausting but the beltfed going out of production wasn't because we didn't want to make it anymore. You always have to be realistic with market conditions, product penetration and how to make a company successful. Sometimes you have to build a product that will grow the company and keep families paying their bills, even if it's not the coolest product in your lineup. I would never buy our belt fed even at the original price it just wasn't something that I would budget that kind of money for, that's why I am the only employee that currently owns one as it was a Christmas bonus and I love it. The market is full of people like me who just cant afford it that's why it is a low volume high dollar specialty item. Regardless of what answer you may have gotten the conversation of bringing it back has never left the table. With me back at the company I will figure out how to get it back in some form.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:51:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmBeltfed] [#43]

View Quote

On this one I will put a disclaimer, I am speaking from my personal point of view from my experience as an owner of an FM-9 upper and not as a company rep. Being it will not feed the last round and the round stays in the feed tray this is the same to me as a magazine holding a round and it's not in the chamber. It is as safe as you could possibly get with a round still on the firearm somewhere. You should also never hand the firearm to someone without checking all of those things as standard safety procedures. Finally the person being handed the firearm should be taught to open the top cover, lock the bolt back (checking for anything in the feed tray) closing the top cover making sure the latches closed then load the ammo. This is again one of the two recommended ways in the manual and my recommended method for someone not familiar with the system already.

Now my company rep hat back on, we are not currently selling any parts everything we have at the moment is for warranty work. Even when we launched the gen2 top cover to allow the last round to cycle and let you hand cycle through links I told customers if your gen1 is working dont pay to upgrade it's not that much benefit. If you ever had any issues that involved the top cover we would do the upgrade as part of the warranty process.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:54:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9mmBeltfed] [#44]
Originally Posted By TheBrandonEntity:
How about a .308 belt fed upper? There must be a way. And if you should find the way, I will pay.
View Quote

That was discussed in the beginning I wont say never but if it did happen it will be awhile lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe you could go even further boutique and make a 9mm conversion kit for the 21e/23e.

Looking forward to seeing the FM9 back in production.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Maybe you could go even further boutique and make a 9mm conversion kit for the 21e/23e.

Looking forward to seeing the FM9 back in production.
View Quote

No idea what that would even take.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#47]

No idea what that would even take.
View Quote

9mm E barrel
9mm E feed mech
9mm E bolt head and locking piece
Lots of tinkering
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

9mm E barrel
9mm E feed mech
9mm E bolt head and locking piece
Lots of tinkering
View Quote

The lots of tinkering part in a production shop is the expensive part lol
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn't mind getting one if the price is right. 07/02 with post sample receivers and DIAS
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd be interested in one and an extra barrel and links.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top