User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2022 1:03:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo]
Thinking about ordering spares

barrel, bolt, BCG refreshing kit, feeding mechanism springs, etc

What have people heard failing on them? From prior threads

oprod lug (snapping off the bolt carrier? )
charging handles (I can believe this)
e-clip on the carrier roller

just some ideas and prices

MCR 12.5" Adjustable Heavy Barrel (BBL-006) $789.99

MCR Belt & Magazine Dual Feed Bolt Carrier Assembly, Full-Auto (15064) $1,189.99

or just the bolt assembly and rehab kit
MCR Bolt Rehab Kit (15019) $146.99
MCR Bolt Assembly (15060) $379.99

MCR Feed Roller Assembly (15067) $255.99

MCR Upper Spring Rehab Kit (15014) $33.99

MCR Charging Handle Assembly (15082) $255.99

ETA: I've had no feeding problems with mine (up until this past weekend when norma brass bulk pack wouldn't feed right from magazine) but I found this
https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27576-wts-shrike-mcr-feed-guide-insert/
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaska-Shooter] [#1]
You definitely need a spare barrel if you only have one barrel.

I had one of the early uppers with the crappy aluminum feed tray.  The steel feed tray is much better.

The only part I’ve worn out so far is the ejector spring.  I haven’t put massive amounts of ammo through it though.  I do have a spare bolt that I bought with the upper.

I was looking also at spares but:

- I can’t figure out if I really need anything and

- I choke on their prices
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
20% off going right now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By H1-HUMMER:
20% off going right now.
View Quote

Yup.. Been talking about buying spares for a while, this pushed me to get off my butt and do so.

I ordered barrel, bolt and upper rehab kit. $20 shipping.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had some spare money to buy some spare parts
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:28:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#5]
I keep one of the upper rehab spring kits and an extra one of their extra power action springs on hand (because it worked great for me since day one).  Other then that this threat has me thinking.

Barrel assembly - want but pricing is $$$ then you gotta buy the handle and front sight still :/
Bolt carrier assembly - want but pricing is :/ prob will skip
Charging handle - might get one
Op rod - might get one
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know, yes spare parts are $$$ but one day they won't be available or prices went up as everything does. I have spares for spares. You can sit on them and one day have no problem selling them maybe for even a profit. Of course my wife has no idea what any of it is for so there is that but there is that certain comfort in having parts. Even spare food is on the list
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By har1340:
I don't know, yes spare parts are $$$ but one day they won't be available or prices went up as everything does. I have spares for spares. You can sit on them and one day have no problem selling them maybe for even a profit. Of course my wife has no idea what any of it is for so there is that but there is that certain comfort in having parts. Even spare food is on the list
View Quote

This is why I bought as many razorback spares as I could afford at the time.

fightlite/ares seems to keep on going so maybe they won't get the same as LM, but having spares for the upper seems like good insurance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lightguy] [#8]
My ex-Marine SOF buddy replaces the cam pin, extractor and spring on his Go-to life or death AR15 every 1000 or so rounds.
May as well replace ejector and spring too on a MCR. Cheap.
This probably isn't a life or death weapon of choice but it might be reasonable to have them around.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:18:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#9]
Originally Posted By har1340:
View Quote

This is the way. If you own a proprietary item with parts made only by one manufacturer, buy spares and keep buying spares while available.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Or look at it this way, I have a M60 in jail>>>buying as many spare parts as possible<<<
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I broke a charging one time.

I’ve bought enough spare parts to built a spare (non-belt-fed) Shrike.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oubeta] [#12]
My older upper broke multiple charging handles for some reason. The newer one hasn't yet, but I would definitely have a spare charging handle.

What small parts are proprietary? extractor?
I haven't shot mine in so long I can't remember.

I better order some spares also. Their prices have gone through the roof!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]
With much more affordable clones coming to market. This shouldn't be as much of an issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
They are coming out with aftermarket parts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By oubeta:
They are coming out with aftermarket parts?
View Quote

Barrels are already available at 1/3-1/2 the price of Ares. And they are CHF
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
I broke a charging one time.

I’ve bought enough spare parts to built a spare (non-belt-fed) Shrike.

https://i.imgur.com/uDth5hf.jpg
View Quote

Do you use the charging handle to actually charge? I have the extended bolt catch to release the bolt and strip the round. Figured less stress on the handle and less friction as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Just curious where does your charging handle break at?

Now that I see a few of you mentioned that it has broken on you.. I think I might pick up some extras.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#18]
The lug sheared off on 2 to 3 of mine.
Mine was an earlier shrike that had all kinds of issues. I sent it back in and after a lot of back-and-forth they replaced the entire upper. This new one hasn’t had any issues with the charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

View Quote

Who is making them?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Who is making them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Who is making them?

Wondering the same...I cannot find anything.

Also...you guys are costing me money...I'm sitting here with these spare parts in my cart like do I really need to drop 600 on parts I'll prob never need

Would an op rod and gas piston be lower priority to worry about....has anyone ever seen them fail on the mcr?
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Who is making them?
View Quote

Right here
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mobhs:

Right here
View Quote

Thank you. Hopefully they tackle more MCR things.

Would be great to see a beltfed upper that had more bolt group rearward travel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

He is producing complete MCR clones. Already has almost $3million in orders for them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#24]

He is producing complete MCR clones. Already has almost $3million in orders for them.
View All Quotes

So many questions...

How does that work, I would think fightlite has patents or something...

3 million in sales?  Never even heard of his company before...I don't see a pre-order page or info on his belt fed...maybe pre orders from venders?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

That’s awesome. I hope they run and are reliable and durable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Heineken:

So many questions...

3 million in sales?  Never even heard of his company before...I don't see a pre-order page or info on his belt fed...maybe pre orders from venders?
View Quote

Herring’s patent has expired as of 2020. Another member posted it in a separate discussion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#27]

So many questions...

View Quote

I'm sure there are a lot of companies you haven't heard of that do great work. The bulk of the orders is a single $2.9mil order, not individuals.

They'll be on sale through his web page when he gets caught up on the orders he had. Target price is $3300. I was offered to do pre-orders at a discount if people have the money and want to put it up. Delivery expected late summer. You'd also get a couple hundred dollar discount.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:03:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#28]

I'm sure there are a lot of companies you haven't heard of that do great work. The bulk of the orders is a single $2.9mil order, not individuals.

They'll be on sale through his web page when he gets caught up on the orders he had. Target price is $3300. I was offered to do pre-orders at a discount if people have the money and want to put it up. Delivery expected late summer. You'd also get a couple hundred dollar discount.
View All Quotes

So many questions...

Nice.  I wasn't inferring anything negative by saying I haven't heard of them  ...just the beltfed AR-15 upper world is just pretty niche, and was just surprised...in a good way.  Barrel assemblies and spare parts for WAY less....I am stoked to see more options, especially if the parts are interchangable!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to buy a belt fed upper this year.  Any way to get on a list for more info as this progresses?
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top