Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Ron, Do you have any fn five seven pistols? I'm very interested to hear how durable they are and would love to hear about your experiences with them. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fiorina:
FN? What about the FAL!? Very interested to hear about your experiences with that rifle in particular.
View Quote

We have several FAL's to include factory FN guns, US-made "kit" guns and even factory British and Indian L1A1's. We've had a factory FN lose it's flash hider down range and two screws fall out that hold the hand guards in place. They run and run and we haven't had any other issues than those few instances.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
Should put an FNC postie on the line and see what breaks, for science...
View Quote

That's the plan. I want to put a "Heat" package together. We have all of the other weapons except for the FNC.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Curious, how often do y'all clean the guns?  Religiously, sparsely, never?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
About how long (# rounds) do the P90 bolt carriers last?  The plastic trigger groups holding up?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

We have several FAL's to include factory FN guns, US-made "kit" guns and even factory British and Indian L1A1's. We've had a factory FN lose it's flash hider down range and two screws fall out that hold the hand guards in place. They run and run and we haven't had any other issues than those few instances.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
FN? What about the FAL!? Very interested to hear about your experiences with that rifle in particular.

V/R
Ron

That's why I still have my select fire FAL, that baby just keeps on going and is so easy to clean.....if you think you need to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
View Quote

All weapons get weekly scheduled maintenance and cleaning.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
About how long (# rounds) do the P90 bolt carriers last?  The plastic trigger groups holding up?
View Quote

We are going through about one bolt carrier every 9-12 months per P90. We have a total of four P90's and they get rotated out every 2-3 days. We initially started out with two but now have a total of four. The trigger groups look just the same as when we started with them.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Since it's seldom possible to discuss the SCAR without mentioning the ACR, or visa versa, do you have any observations or comparisons between the two platforms?
I have very much enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to reading more.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By EastRiver:
Since it's seldom possible to discuss the SCAR without mentioning the ACR, or visa versa, do you have any observations or comparisons between the two platforms?
Thanks!
View Quote

The only thing that's failed on the ACR was the gas valve/adjustment(?) portion that sits above the barrel. It came loose and launched itself out onto the range. The RSO who was handling the weapon didn't even notice it. It just quit functioning in semi and full so he took the weapon off the line, grabbed another and kept going. We ordered the part from Remington or whoever it was, paid by credit card and after waiting... and waiting.. and waiting (WAY past the time allowed to dispute the charges) it never showed up. We've called and all we get is the run-around from them. Other than customer service from Remington or Freedom Group or Bushmaster or whoever they are this week, it's been reliable and held up very well.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]

The only thing that's failed on the ACR was the gas valve/adjustment(?) portion that sits above the barrel. It came loose and launched itself out onto the range. The RSO who was handling the weapon didn't even notice it. It just quit functioning in semi and full so he took the weapon off the line, grabbed another and kept going. We ordered the part from Remington or whoever it was, paid by credit card and after waiting... and waiting.. and waiting (WAY past the time allowed to dispute the charges) it never showed up. We've called and all we get is the run-around from them. Other than customer service from Remington or Freedom Group or Bushmaster or whoever they are this week, it's been reliable and held up very well.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EastRiver:
Thanks!

V/R
Ron

Have you guys put the same 100k+ rounds through an individual ACR that you have a Scar?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:

Have you guys put the same 100k+ rounds through an individual ACR that you have a Scar?

View Quote

No, not even close because the ACR is a request-only weapon. It's not on any of the packages but quite a few people (gamers and shooters) know what it is so it does get used but not even close to the amount of use the SCAR does on a daily basis.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]

No, not even close because the ACR is a request-only weapon. It's not on any of the packages but quite a few people (gamers and shooters) know what it is so it does get used but not even close to the amount of use the SCAR does on a daily basis.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:

V/R
Ron

Thanks! I really appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Ron, thanks for all your different post in the sub-forms, great reads!
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

All weapons that are on the line get cleaned a minimum of once every seven days. Some weapons have to be cleaned sooner than others (suppressed weapons) and some not as often (M134 minigun and M107A1 Barrett). I didn't set a policy on cleaning per weapon because the armorers inspect each and every weapon on the line at least twice a day. They are inspected and lubed before going on the line and then again late-morning or early afternoon they are inspected and lubed again. We keep a maintenance log with a records of each weapon's cleaning. Parts that are replaced are noted in the log and any recommendations for further action.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I finally started a thread on the durability of high-round count optics.

100,000+ round count optics durablity
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Any thoughts on the F2000?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Meursault:
View Quote

I am not a huge fan of the F2000 because to me, it feels bulky and awkward when shooting. That being said, customers love it and we haven't had any problems with the system.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.... I'm guessing it's not a "high round" kinda gun like some of the more popular FN products but I appreciate the response.  I have been reading through your various threads and some good stuff that wouldn't always be the expected.  People tend to focus on the ejection system of the F2000 but I have never seen much problem as long as the guns were assembled correctly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you have barrel extensions or supressors on your P90s?  Just curious as I have seen other ranges that have a roughly 2" extension to help keep customers fingers from straying in front of muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you have barrel extensions or supressors on your P90s?  Just curious as I have seen other ranges that have a roughly 2" extension to help keep customers fingers from straying in front of muzzle.
View Quote

No, we are using factory P90's with no extensions attached. Our RSO's are with the customer the entire time and show the customers exactly where to hold it. The RSO will adjust the customer's hand for them if they move it from the proper position.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#24]

I am not a huge fan of the F2000 because to me, it feels bulky and awkward when shooting. That being said, customers love it and we haven't had any problems with the system.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Speaking of Bullpups; do you all have any Steyr AUG's? And do they have high round counts?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mayday:

Speaking of Bullpups; do you all have any Steyr AUG's? And do they have high round counts?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mayday:

V/R
Ron

We have quite a few AUG's (didn't realize that we had seven) and I will find out exactly what it is that breaks but they do have one parts that we've had to replace on most of them.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks op for all this great info!!! It's good to know how reliable and durable the SCAR is, and I felt compelled to thank you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a great time at Battlefield Vegas on  Friday.  Got to shoot several guns including the full auto Scar 17 and must say it was awesome.

First rate outfit all around!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad to hear the SCARs are holding up despite what the SCAR naysayers constantly post.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Ron, thanks for all the great info!  

My question, do you have any of the 10" SBR SCAR 16's on the line?   How do they hold up compaired to the longer barrel guns?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Lastly, our FN-45 pistol. I will get more information but I am pretty sure that it's been down two or three times since we've opened but it has seen QUITE a bit of use.

View Quote

Would love to hear some info on your FN-45. Is it an FNX or FNP? Thanks for the write up!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By LS1POWERED:

My question, do you have any of the 10" SBR SCAR 16's on the line?   How do they hold up compaired to the longer barrel guns?

View Quote
Would like to know also. I want to sbr with my yhm ti can.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Any 5.7 pistols on the line?  I'd be curious how they are holding up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Any 5.7 pistols on the line?  I'd be curious how they are holding up.
View Quote

I'm glad you brought these up because I've never really given them a second thought about how well they have lasted. We've had some on the line for over three years and they have yet to break or have any issues. I will get some data to make sure but I can't ever remember having to send one back for repair or order parts to put one back on the line.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gsp:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gsp:
Originally Posted By LS1POWERED:

We have three of the SCAR 16's with the 10" barrels and they run just as well as any of the other weapons. We haven't (not that I am aware of) had any issues related to the shorter 10" barrel.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 3:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#35]
Are the bolt lugs, OD, etc. larger on the SCAR 16 when compared to the AR-15?
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#36]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Are the bolt lugs, OD, etc. larger on the SCAR 16 when compared to the AR-15?
View Quote

Yes. Scar-16 bolt has a larger form factor, longer cam path and longer travel within the carrier.

A very nice comparison of the SCAR-16 and AR can be found here
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#37]
As a testament to how well the FN barrels are made, this barrel was finally pulled yesterday afternoon. It went on the line 24 MAR 14... just a few days shy of a full two years of heavy use. This is one of three SCAR-16's that we keep on the line daily. It's included in one of our most popular packages in addition to be requested all the time by people who know/recognize it from various video games.

It has had the bolt replaced once in the last 24 months but all other components remain unremarkable as to breaking or having issues. An RSO brought it to the armorer's attention two weeks ago that they were getting "keyholing" about once every magazine or two. Yesterday I was in the shop with the armorers when an RSO stated that it was keyholing about five to six times per mag. The armorer made notes in the record of yesterday's date and noted that a new barrel was installed.

I'm pretty confident that I've given a break down on how I calculate average round count through any given weapon and this one is a VERY HIGH round count weapon considering that it's been on the line for two years.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
As a testament to how well the FN barrels are made, this barrel was finally pulled yesterday afternoon. It went on the line 24 MAR 14... just a few days shy of a full two years of heavy use. This is one of three SCAR-16's that we keep on the line daily. It's included in one of our most popular packages in addition to be requested all the time by people who know/recognize it from various video games.

It has had the bolt replaced once in the last 24 months but all other components remain unremarkable as to breaking or having issues. An RSO brought it to the armorer's attention two weeks ago that they were getting "keyholing" about once every magazine or two. Yesterday I was in the shop with the armorers when an RSO stated that it was keyholing about five to six times per mag. The armorer made notes in the record of yesterday's date and noted that a new barrel was installed.

I'm pretty confident that I've given a break down on how I calculate average round count through any given weapon and this one is a VERY HIGH round count weapon considering that it's been on the line for two years.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgsafe.org/e1e4832.jpg
View Quote

Very interesting! That muzzle device appears to be OSS . . .

Dibs on the gas block?
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#39]

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgsafe.org/e1e4832.jpg
View Quote

Awesome results!  Any idea of the round count when it started keyholing?  FN says these barrels are good for 20k+.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By purevl2:

Awesome results!  Any idea of the round count when it started keyholing?  FN says these barrels are good for 20k+.
View Quote

That barrel was WAY over the 80,000 round count.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#41]

We've lost a few springs, disconnectors, hammers and charging handles but other than that, everything has been very impressive.

View Quote

So if we keep from dropping our Scars, would this be a recommended SHTF spare parts kit for an 17S?

Thank you SO much.

I find your threads to be a taxi tested tough biography of weapons. Its a real life torture blog. Much appreciated, all of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I shot a full auto SCAR Mk 17 for the first time at Battlefield Vegas back in January. I'll  be doing it again when I come in June.

You guys have a top notch operation. Thanks again for taking the time to comment on how the various weapons are holding up.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By the1919man:
I shot a full auto SCAR Mk 17 for the first time at Battlefield Vegas back in January. I'll  be doing it again when I come in June.

You guys have a top notch operation. Thanks again for taking the time to comment on how the various weapons are holding up.
View Quote

I put a few rounds through one of your M240Bs last time I was in Vegas. It was an awesome experience, and the data you're gathering and sharing with us is invaluable. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I plan on going there this weekend with my wife. Looking forward to it. Thanks again for all the good information.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've always offered Arfcom members a 20% discount. Show the cashier this forum post on your smart phone when you get to the register. If they give you any hassle, ask for Ploeg, Munoz or myself and one of us will get you squared away

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#46]

I've always offered Arfcom members a 20% discount. Show the cashier this forum post on your smart phone when you get to the register. If they give you any hassle, ask for Ploeg, Munoz or myself and one of us will get you squared away

V/R

Ron
View Quote

Last week of June.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Have you got any  more information on the Steyr Aug.
Mine is very accurate and use it the most over other platforms.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 45ar:
Have you got any  more information on the Steyr Aug.
Mine is very accurate and use it the most over other platforms.
View Quote

This is an FN thread but I think he posted in the main rifle thread and said that the AUG has been doing pretty well.

Dug around and found his quote:
With AUG, I know we've broken at least one bolt, several firing pin springs, at least one extractor and a few firing pins.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#49]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Wow, thanks so much. See you Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Hello, I was at your place a few weeks ago.  Shot the Barrett and the M240...I intended to shoot the Scar H full auto but just didn't do it for whatever reason.  Should have.  The M240 gassed me in the face pretty badly due to being suppressed I think.  Do you use grease on the guns?  I noticed something was flying around quite a bit, seemed like grease.

Overall it was a great experience, I will be back when I go to Vegas again.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top