Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2022 2:13:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tengo1]
Take a look at SCAR parts prices this week on Midwest Gunworks. Parts prices have double or more on many items.

Bolt Cam Pins: $5 before now $16
Gas regulator: $25 before now $88
Return Spring assembly $45 before now $120

The list goes on. I don’t know if FN is just absolutely trying to kill the 3rd party market (like the company that sells stripped receivers guys have made pistols, etc. Out of) Or just greedy as hell.

Other member on another forum reached out to Midwest and confirmed all the price increases came 100% from FN.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I was just about to buy one.

No. No I was not.

I’ve got ARs that are jUsT aS gUd and half the price. I never understood the desire to pay big money for something that doesn’t work as well as an alternative that doesn’t cost as much and does a better job.

Guns are tools for shooting bullets at stuff. The AR does that more efficiently and just as effectively as a scar or any of the other 556 chambered, semi auto rifles out there.

And a charging handle that reciprocates is pathetic. And yes, I know they finally rectified that astonishingly bad design oversight. How many years after the original release was it?

Yeah, too many.

Inb4 “you’re just too poor” or “variety is the spice of life!” or whatever excuse you’re going to use for throwing away at least $1000 more than you needed to spend to accomplish the same task as any mid tier AR can.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

No. No I was not.

I’ve got ARs that are jUsT aS gUd and half the price. I never understood the desire to pay big money for something that doesn’t work as well as an alternative that doesn’t cost as much and does a better job.

Guns are tools for shooting bullets at stuff. The AR does that more efficiently and just as effectively as a scar or any of the other 556 chambered, semi auto rifles out there.

And a charging handle that reciprocates is pathetic. And yes, I know they finally rectified that astonishingly bad design oversight. How many years after the original release was it?

Yeah, too many.

Inb4 “you’re just too poor” or “variety is the spice of life!” or whatever excuse you’re going to use for throwing away at least $1000 more than you needed to spend to accomplish the same task as any mid tier AR can.
View Quote

Did a SCAR touch you around your bathing suit area or something?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Those do seem like pretty significant increases, but is there a chance FN increased prices because they had to in order to actually profit? Midwest Gunworks has to be adding something in order to profit as well. How much is that?

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:53:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PointBlank82] [#4]
Man, I thought $5 was bad for one of these, now it's $11? Lolz. Glad I bought 5 extras last order and sprung on $1k in small parts to keep my 16s/17s/20s running last year.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I dunno why, but I never cared for those UGG Boot Stocked oddities...

I've had a few friends with them and shot a few, just never really cared for them. jmho, I'm sure those that have them love them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By smullen:

I've had a few friends with them and shot a few, just never really cared for them. jmho, I'm sure those that have them love them.
View Quote

Different strokes for different folks.  I personally find AR-15s boring and much prefer AR-18 style systems.  My only two semi-autos I have left are my CZ Bren 2 Carbine and my SCAR 20S.  I plan on hanging on to those two as they do everything I need them to.  Sure, for the price those cost I could have 5 nice ARs but they'd all be boring to me and I'd probably only ever shoot one or two of them.

...as for the parts cost they must have just raised the prices.  I was thinking about getting a 17S stock for my 20S and a week or two ago the 17S stock was $164, now it's over $200.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FullMetalMike:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FullMetalMike:

No. No I was not.

Yeah, too many.

Jokes on the SCAR, I’m into that shit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]

No. No I was not.

Yeah, too many.

View Quote

Lol. I always enjoy the guys who spend 10 minutes writing out an entire 5 paragraph explanation of why their AR is so much better and why they would never buy a SCAR. Projection much
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, at least you've still got parts. I got a couple ARXs that their mfger can't be bothered to produce parts for. I don't like like price hikes either, though I'm pretty sure energy costs & global shipping costs factor into it. Count your blessings, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
FN has always been kinda nuts on prices. At least the parts are available. If you intend to keep a gun it's best to stock up on a few spares in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I learned my lesson on FN and small parts a long time ago. Never again.

Everyone jokes about HK hating their customers but they are a distant to second to FN in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Agree. You can call actually call HK USA and order whatever UMP, MP5 parts your heart desires short of barrels and receivers.

I suspect FN is doubling or quadrupling prices due to domestic costs of production and lack of foreign SCAR sales. I am glad I bought plenty of SCAR 17 parts. Now I need to buy some SCAR 16 parts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]

No. No I was not.

Yeah, too many.

View Quote

My SCAR 16s is more accurate than my Knights SR15.  Have you ever even shot a SCAR? Your whole post reeks of class warfare.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know where to find a 16 bolt? Looking for a spare.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By themao:
You can call actually call HK USA and order whatever UMP, MP5 parts your heart desires short of barrels and receivers.
View Quote

Actually, in my experience, you can’t order machinegun parts. For example, most recently they wouldn’t sell me a 416 hammer until I explained the part number is from a Mr556 as they happen to be the same.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#16]

No. No I was not.

Yeah, too many.

“you’re just too poor” or “variety is the spice of life!” or whatever excuse you’re going to use for throwing away at least $1000 more than you needed to spend to accomplish the same task as any mid tier AR can.
View Quote

Anyone want to tell him that the charging handle was a design requirement from .gov?

And since you were so brash with your post, I assume you’ll not be bothered by my bluntness…the reason is because I don’t think it makes sense to die with millions of dollars left and not buy shit I think is fun to play with along the way.  At least I didn’t call you a poor!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quick maffs - It's cheaper (or break even) to just buy a full rifle and break it down for parts now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
FN does not care about the civvy market , their bread and butter is military and LE sales / support.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
FN does not care about the civvy market, their bread and butter is military and LE sales / support.
View Quote

Considering they sell civilian versions of almost everything, including M249s, I’d disagree with the former. As it relates to the civilian market, I think it’s more like FN does not care about parts, their bread and butter is firearms.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:27:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Actually, in my experience, you can’t order machinegun parts. For example, most recently they wouldn’t sell me a 416 hammer until I explained the part number is from a Mr556 as they happen to be the same.
View Quote

Everything except full auto HK parts. Anything sensitive like a trigger pack is a no go. Bolts, firing pins, push pins, bolt carriers, recoil springs, etc. I can order just about anything for my USC and SP5. I frankly was surprised and very pleased. Heck, they recently had new HK 33/93 magazines for sale. Anyhow, it's better than FN.

Why would you want a stock 416 hammer anyway? You'd want to buy a Geissele.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Good luck finding Fnar/BAR 5 round mags (or any mags but sometimes they show up). I suppose scar rifles and parts aren't going anywhere

My FNAR fell off a table and the stock snapped like a dry twig. FN "yeah we don't have stocks for those maybe you can find a BAR stock that fits?"
View Quote

Nice to hear from you Aimless.

Wow. I forgot all about that rifle. People were buying those up when SCAR-17s were in short supply 2010-12.........FN really screws the consumer when it comes to spare parts availability. Think about all of the FNC guys out there with pre-May 86 machineguns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:38:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#23]
Holy Shit! I am now super glad I bought all my spares over the last two years rather than wait! I finally thought ahead and it paid off as to gun parts. I guess I will start on MP5 and Sig parts now!

I did the same with my 509T. There is also plenty of aftermarket support for the SCAR and other FN weapons.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

Different strokes for different folks.  I personally find AR-15s boring and much prefer AR-18 style systems.  My only two semi-autos I have left are my CZ Bren 2 Carbine and my SCAR 20S.  I plan on hanging on to those two as they do everything I need them to.  Sure, for the price those cost I could have 5 nice ARs but they'd all be boring to me and I'd probably only ever shoot one or two of them.

...as for the parts cost they must have just raised the prices.  I was thinking about getting a 17S stock for my 20S and a week or two ago the 17S stock was $164, now it's over $200.
View Quote

@Zeebz Do it!

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

@Zeebz Do it!

https://i.imgur.com/3eqlElK.jpg
View Quote

Man, that setup looks awesome.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Funny, I put a 20s stock on my 17.....
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JCIN:
I learned my lesson on FN and small parts a long time ago. Never again.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By nictra:
Funny, I put a 20s stock on my 17.....
View Quote

Ha! It’s a nice stock for sure but I like the 1lb weight savings and ability to fold of the 17 vs 20. I entertained the idea of selling the 20 stock because they were going for almost $1000 but ultimately I like having the option of going back and forth.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, the issue for me was using a TigIR in front of my Steiner. Just not enough room, need more versatility and the 20s stock gave it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Aren't MGW prices always just stupid high? They were like 200-300% what everyone else was asking for ACR parts and their guns look like MSRP across the board.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xxflyingturtlexx] [#31]
Originally Posted By smullen:

View Quote

And what is your point really?

Anyways…..

FN parts are expensive. FN rifles are expensive.

BMW parts went up 30-238% this year.

Gas is almost 2x more expensive…

If you just got a scar and worried about spare parts; news flash, you will likely not need much.

If you have been shooting scars since 2013 like me and at some point over the last 10 years you have not thrown some spare parts; i suggest focus on other stuff like food, energy etc. Chances are you lack perspective and will be caught unprepared
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#32]
You seriously can't be defending FN's prices😂.

How does $576 for a rear sight make any business sense. Don't compare FN to BMW, compare FN to HK. You can get a pair of genuine, made in Germany HK flip up sights for less than one FNH rear sight.

Midwest Gunworks recently just added NRCH parts. WOW $232 for one bent charging handle.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/3144500050h

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/38-100322
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Decided to look at Midwest myself (as I've been buying small SCAR parts from them over the last 2 years) and holy shit I'm thankful I have another SCAR 16 new in the box for parts if needed. These prices are insane. You can try and spin it however you want, but FN is bat shit crazy if they think those prices are warranted. The $600 rear sight is laughable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#34]
I swear the SCAR rear sight assembly was $175 last week. Over $500 now.

Complete nonsense.

Fucking insanity, FN.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Probably going to sell my 16S SBR around tax time.  Doing a severe downsize of my collection and its one I really have no interest in anymore.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:20:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#36]
Originally Posted By esdunbar:

Anyone want to tell him that the charging handle was a design requirement from .gov?

And since you were so brash with your post, I assume you’ll not be bothered by my bluntness…the reason is because I don’t think it makes sense to die with millions of dollars left and not buy shit I think is fun to play with along the way.  At least I didn’t call you a poor!
View Quote

Just because the Gov specced it, doesn't mean it's good. There's plenty of horribly designed military equipment used currently or in the past (i.e. PASGT helmets, contract M9 magazines, MTV body armor).

Special Forces evaluators deemed the Mk16's charging handle to be a liability as hand/barricade placement could cause malfunctions.

I have no plans to replace the charging handles on my 16/17 with NRCH, but I still think they are poorly placed compared to reciprocating handles on something like a Sig 55X or AK. They sit way too far into the handguard.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Well look what's in stock for $1K: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/38-101004
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CATM26:
Well look what's in stock for $1K: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/38-101004
View Quote

Way ahead of you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By thirsty:

Way ahead of you.
View Quote

Gross... $1,000 for a fucking bolt carrier.  I love my SCAR but FN, like HK, has their heads up their asses with these prices.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Gross... $1,000 for a fucking bolt carrier.  I love my SCAR but FN, like HK, has their heads up their asses with these prices.
View Quote
Probably costs MGW $200. They have HKParts hostage pricing haha
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ehtacs:

Apparantly the bolt carrier alone isn't enough, you have to buy the sled for another $400 and then the ambi CH for another $300.

NRCH conversion is fucking half the cost of a new gun!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 7:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#42]

View Quote

It includes the bolt, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, and cam pin. Overall not that bad.

I’m sure FN wants to sell complete rifles, not conversion kits.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I need a return spring. Looks like they are $15 without the complete assembly.

Looking at my assembly, how do I change the spring out? I feel like I’m gonna crack the rear plate if I put too much pressure
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:
I need a return spring. Looks like they are $15 without the complete assembly.

Looking at my assembly, how do I change the spring out? I feel like I’m gonna crack the rear plate if I put too much pressure
View Quote

I had to replace one before in my 17S.  It takes a bit of pressure to push the spring and rod down and out of the rear plate.  Also be careful because if I am remembering right that spring is under considerable tension and will fly if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Once you venture into high end guns. This is what we get.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:04:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#46]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Once you venture into high end guns. This is what we get.
View Quote

15 or even 10 years ago, FN wasn’t this expensive. They were an awesome value. The FNP-45 Tactical, one of the first RDS-ready pistols, was what, $650? That’s about $820 today. The FNX-45 today is $1200-1300 and guess what? There’s little difference to justify such a markup.

For whatever reason, FN has developed a really high sense of perceived worth for their products. I’ve really soured on them, which sucks because I’m really interested in the CC Edge. Just not for $1400.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:47:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#47]
Originally Posted By thirsty:

15 or even 10 years ago, FN wasn’t this expensive. They were an awesome value. The FNP-45 Tactical, one of the first RDS-ready pistols, was what, $650? That’s about $820 today. The FNX-45 today is $1200-1300 and guess what? There’s little difference to justify such a markup.

For whatever reason, FN has developed a really high sense of perceived worth for their products. I’ve really soured on them, which sucks because I’m really interested in the CC Edge. Just not for $1400.
View Quote

Agreed, 100%.  I have moved on from the SCAR and went back to a Tavor 7 as my main .308 semi-auto rifle.  FN keeps raising their prices and it's at the point it is just getting ridiculous.  As much as I loved the SCAR I had a hard time justifying it when it was $3,000 because it did not feel like a $3,000 rifle.  Now they price it up there with the B&T APC308 which, if we're being honest, is just a much nicer gun than the SCAR.  My APC308 dumped on the SCAR in terms of fit, finish, and machining.

Hell, even the CZ Bren 2 feels like a nicer gun than the SCAR 16... smoother action, better factory trigger, stronger receiver (7075 vs. 6063 or w/e aluminum), better stock, more ambi controls, etc.  Unfortunately CZ has their heads up their asses with the .308 variant, though, and currently have no plans to release it here.  I love the SCAR but it has just priced itself into stupidity.

While my Tavor 7 isn't as accurate as a 17S, it is just as reliable if not more so, is fully ambi, and uses SR-25 magazines.  It's also priced reasonably and parts from IWI aren't super expensive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Yeah, too many
View Quote

That was a requirement by socom, i fail to see how fn is at fault for giving the customer what they asked for
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:

That was a requirement by socom, i fail to see how fn is at fault for giving the customer what they asked for
View Quote

This.  Can't blame FN for it.  They were just trying to abide by the requirements in the contract they developed the rifle for.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalyman72] [#50]

This.  Can't blame FN for it.  They were just trying to abide by the requirements in the contract they developed the rifle for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:

It's all so tiresome.

I was shooting a FA FAL today. Ya know what? FN knew how to make a non-recip gun many decades ago... It's not like some Belgians after Y2K all the sudden thought reciprocating handles were the second coming.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top