Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 10:09:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am posting here to get your input.

I have an FN Collectors model m4 14.5 pin and weld from factory. Knights armament rail, covers and broomstick. Matech rear sight. Daniel defense grip. Magpul stock. Ambi charging handle. Ambi safety.

I have a guy that is wanting to trade his ACR for my FN. I have never handled an ACR or shot one. Is it a good deal or should I be weary? I have plenty of AR’s and would consider an ACR but thought I’d ask you guys with first hand experience with them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would absolutely take that trade for any of the ACR models. Cherry on top for any of the updates that may be on the ACR. If you have a bunch of AR15s, the ACR will feel familiar but have a bunch of QOL improvements.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not make that trade.

Originally Posted By BacktheBlue93:
I have never handled an ACR or shot one.
View Quote
The ACR is significantly heavier, so you might want to try one first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd trade him for sure. For one thing the ACR isn't in production anymore, while the FN is; and for another I like the ACR more
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AK-12:
I'd trade him for sure. For one thing the ACR isn't in production anymore, while the FN is; and for another I like the ACR more
View Quote
This. Trade for the ACR and put an FN on backorder.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
I would not make that trade.

The ACR is significantly heavier, so you might want to try one first.
View Quote

The difference is 1.5lbs to be specific, but I'm of the opinion that a lot of people's ARs are unusually light rifles. 7.5-8.5 lbs is pretty normal for an infantry rifle; the M16A4 I was issued was around 8.5lbs, and my M27 was right around 8 unloaded.

Most people's issue with the ACR's weight isn't actually the weight, it is the weight distribution. The newer rifles (made after 2016 or so) with thinner barrel profiles are much better in that regard than the original M4 cut barrels with the 1:9 twist. You can also get a 7075 aluminum non-QD trunnion from Templar Precision that shaves off 5 ounces, and also deletes the barrel washer and wrench for a few more oz of weight savings.

I'd tell you what mine weighs but I don't have a working scale right now

I don't think a lot of people realize it, but there is a bit of a cottage industry built around supporting ACR development because the design is such that there are so many ways to modify them. If you don't want to get rid of the QD mechanism, .300 blackout and .450 Bushmaster kits are still readily available from Midwest Gun Works, and there should still be some 6.8 kits floating around.

The ACR uses AR barrels with the only 2 differences being a smaller gas port diameter (piston guns use gas more efficiently and don't require as much) and a small turned down area where the op-rod support attaches; so pretty much any conversion you can do to an AR can also be done to an ACR.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I may have to try that Templar Precision barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I may have to try that Templar Precision barrel nut.
View Quote

Dana is a great dude. I ended up sending my barrel assembly to him because Remington put the AAC Blackout on so tight that I was afraid I'd break something getting it off. He has some sort of optimized setup for wrenching them off.

His aluminum lowers are awesome too; he is working on one that takes the 6.8 Pmags for the 6.8SPC kits, and I'm not sure whether he finished the AK lower too.

I have one of the QD sling mounts that replaces the loop on the stock and the extended BHO/release tab. All quality stuff
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It might be interesting doing a 6.8 ACR to go with my LWRC Six8 UCIW. I've already got a tax stamp for one of my ACR's. I would need one of his lowers and a 6.8 conversion kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top