Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2022 7:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: under9]
I am in the market for a Colt m16a1 and have been looking at the ones on GB. Did the m16a1 ever come with a m4 barrel? It seems the m16a1 predates the m4 barrels. Link below for reference

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/925375472

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By under9:
I am in the market for a Colt m16a1 and have been looking at the ones on GB. Did the m16a1 ever come with a m4 barrel? It seems the m16a1 predates the m4 barrels. Link below for reference

Thanks in advance
View Quote

You do realize the upper can be swapped?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RockSix:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks in advance

Yes - I guess the real question is the gun valued more in the original configuration?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
When I bought an M16A1 about 10 years ago, I specifically wanted a 14.5" barrel carbine (with two position collapsible stock), i.e., a Model 653, and definitely paid a premium.  Of course, at today's prices, such a premium is almost negligible over the cost of the lower itself.

Best of luck.  MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Yes - I guess the real question is the gun valued more in the original configuration?
View Quote

You will be paying for the third hole and the roll mark, the rest is whatever you want.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]

You will be paying for the third hole and the roll mark, the rest is whatever you want.
View Quote

Got it - Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If it is a unicorn.. then yes a original setup would be more valuable.
However M16 are typically less so (though there are a couple unicorn setups). For what your looking at, the most of the cost is in the lower.. specifically the third hole as pointed out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#8]
Sold for $41,750, holy expensive Batman!!!!

You can buy a M16A1 for like $30-35k from Ruben and his prices are usually considered high. Someone got in a bidding war on that this and just couldn’t quit

Edit: nvm it just says “ended” not sold and there are no bids on it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#9]
That M16 did not originally come with that upper.

The seller is misrepresenting his items a bit. Not overtly, but he's just not being 100% honest.
He's got a M16A2 up at the moment that he listed as, and I quote, "everything is Colt original and perfect." It is not. And while it's possible (but very unlikely) that gun came in carbine configuration, it didn't come exactly as pictured.
The stock itself isn't even Colt made, let alone period correct for that year. The castle nut is also a later version (the correct one would have the holes in it to tighten or loosen it). The receiver itself is "burst" marked and most (if not all) of the factory made Colt carbines had "auto" marked lowers.
I'm sure I could find a lot more wrong with it if I had it in hand or even if he had better pics of it, but I would guess he knows what he is doing in both the vague wording he uses to describe his items as well as his blurry pictures.
If a guy is selling something worth upward of $30k, you'd think he could take better (and more) detailed pictures. I've seen better pics and descriptions for a hundred dollar Raven .22.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By akchef:
That M16 did not originally come with that upper.

The seller is misrepresenting his items a bit. Not overtly, but he's just not being 100% honest.
He's got a M16A2 up at the moment that he listed as, and I quote, "everything is Colt original and perfect." It is not. And while it's possible (but very unlikely) that gun came in carbine configuration, it didn't come exactly as pictured.
The stock itself isn't even Colt made, let alone period correct for that year. The castle nut is also a later version (the correct one would have the holes in it to tighten or loosen it). The receiver itself is "burst" marked and most (if not all) of the factory made Colt carbines had "auto" marked lowers.
I'm sure I could find a lot more wrong with it if I had it in hand or even if he had better pics of it, but I would guess he knows what he is doing in both the vague wording he uses to describe his items as well as his blurry pictures.
If a guy is selling something worth upward of $30k, you'd think he could take better (and more) detailed pictures. I've seen better pics and descriptions for a hundred dollar Raven .22.
View Quote

Sad this guy is from Ohio, giving the Ohio auto community a bad name...
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
M16A1’s are nice.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Here’s a Colt M16A1, pencil barrel as I received it.

Made in the early 80s.

Cost was about $6,500 back in 1999. I thought that was high at the time.

It’s not dressed this way right now.

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top