Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2019 12:19:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uniquesnd]
I have had my ACR for a few years now. It’s an early enhanced model that at one time I seriously thought was the best rifle on the market. I saw this as an “adaptive combat rifle” modularity never really seen on the market before a “game changer” if you will humor me. As time has went on I have slowly picked up a Sig 516, Sig MCX, and a SCAR 16. These aforementioned rifles have slowly been becoming some of my most used and frequently see range time as the ACR just sits all pretty in the front of the safe. Do I think the rifle is “modular” as promised no and the reason is not the design but the lack of support from Bushmaster. I know there are enterprising individuals that devote a lot of time to pushing this platform slowly ahead and they should be applauded for their efforts. I have to ask though is this too little, too late? I honestly think that this platform has been left behind and can not fully recover. Let’s be real it’s HEAVY! in stock form. Also the QD barrel is awesome but it is part of the weight issue and is worthless without support. The alternative is having someone “custom” make you something but that will almost always cost a lot more then a mass produced OEM item. Sorry for the wall of text just feeling the frustration of what could have been an epic platform that unfortunately appears to be slowly relegated to the dustbin of history.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry, Magpul make the right choice in choosing Bushmaster.  They are the only ones with the capability to make the Masada succeed.

I think it is pretty clear that the ACR is pretty much abandoned.  The MCX seems to be the rifle that has taken that place it would have had in the world.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a 6.8 SPC II conversion for my ACR.  It is a Bushmaster product.  Looks like there might be a serious attempt at pushing out the promised conversions for the ACR.  Although it might be too little too late to save the platform.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one for two weeks...traded it off...it had fairly sloopy overall fit and finish...the trigger pack was loose...upper to lower fitment sucked...about the only thing I liked about the ACR was the poly handguard and the charging handle...

Could have been amazing....just not with Bushmaster producing it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have yet to shoot mine but the only complaint I have so far is weight
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thehun06:...it had fairly sloopy overall fit and finish...the trigger pack was loose...upper to lower fitment sucked...
View Quote
That’s for sure. And it doesn’t have to be that way, see B&T APC223.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

That’s for sure. And it doesn’t have to be that way, see B&T APC223.
View Quote
Agreed...or really any other high quality modern firearm.

The ACR design is VERY good...but the fit and finish quality is subpar...thanks bushmaster...

I do dig the barrel QD design.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#7]
Magpul designed it and still make all of the polymer pieces, so I suspect the fit of the components are designed that way. (Edited to add: meaning it’s not Bushmaster’s fault) That said, I’m not sure why. To use my previous example of a similar modern new gen rifle, B&T’s components, polymer included, fit so perfect they almost snap together.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: horseman04] [#8]
I have two very early ACRs and their fit and finish was a little sloppy. Fortunately, neither of them was too bad and I've run the absolute hell out of them and they continue to run perfectly to this day. I just recently picked up a new 6.8 ACR and I'm happy to report that the overall build quality is noticeably better. Everything fits together tighter and just has a more quality feel to it. I like the new charging handle assembly and the new handguard as well. Fortunately, both of those items can be retrofitted to the old rifles and parts to do so seem to be releasing now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I might give the new version a try
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem with these fit and finish issues you guys are talking about, but mine is a 2018 gun made in Huntsville.

Not sure the platform is dead looking forward either. It sure was looking backwards from release to now, but the initial kinks and teething issues are worked out, conversion barrels are coming out, bushmaster is now releasing some great handguards, and additional parts like the new / redesigned ambi charging handle. Replacement parts are readily available from bushmaster as well, and there are some interesting items coming out from places like templar precision (non QD trunnions, AK lowers, etc.).
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
@horseman04 and @fettesbrotde

So if you hold the receiver and wiggle the end of the stock or pistol grip you don’t have movement or slop in their fit to the receiver or stock latch? I’m curious if they’re actually better now or our perceptions are different. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#12]

So if you hold the receiver and wiggle the end of the stock or pistol grip you don’t have movement or slop in their fit to the receiver or stock latch? I’m curious if they’re actually better now or our perceptions are different. Thanks in advance!
View Quote
I purchased mine new in November. There's more play in my bren 805, and probably all my AR's than my ACR. Its solid.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Purchased one of the 6.8 ACRs in Nov, 2018. Super tight, no wobble.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
I purchased mine new in November. There's more play in my bren 805, and probably all my AR's than my ACR. Its solid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So if you hold the receiver and wiggle the end of the stock or pistol grip you don't have movement or slop in their fit to the receiver or stock latch? I'm curious if they're actually better now or our perceptions are different. Thanks in advance!
What he said. Mine's rock solid.

I have a number of ARs that are sloppy but not my ACR. I know exactly the type of slop you're talking about, however the ACR just doesn't have it.

All my ARs that do have it have accuwedges in them, though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but I get tired of all my guns. I'm an admitted tinkerer.

The ACR is MUCH better suited to a lighter profile SBR length barrel. Heavy enough to 'soak up' what little recoil there is, smooth operating system, etc. My issue with it is that it's a different operation than my AR's, MPX, MCX, etc. So I try not to spend too much time with it as-is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fettesbrotde:
What he said. Mine's rock solid.

I have a number of ARs that are sloppy but not my ACR. I know exactly the type of slop you're talking about, however the ACR just doesn't have it.

All my ARs that do have it have accuwedges in them, though.
View Quote
Same here, my new 6.8 ACR's receivers fit together tighter than my two earlier models or any of my AR-15s for that matter. It does have a little bit of wiggle in the stock, but it's very minimal and I never notice it when I bring it to my shoulder. I would consider it normal for a part that is designed to move for the length of pull adjustment.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I still haven't bought one
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked the ARX100 as my go to Gen 3 rifle...the fit and finish is rock solid...it’s tight yet easily taken apart and gets 2-3 MOA with M855 ball.

I’m interested in finding out more on the new ACRs though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have 2 pistols here and they both feel pretty good as far as the rattling.

I know for a fact the first few Acr pistols didn’t have the spacers installed on the front hooks which made them rattle (military arms channel trashed the Acr hard because of this)

I’ve had 5-6 pistols come through my shop and only the very first 2 have had no spacers.

All of the current squaredrop rails and mlok rails I’ve come across had them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought and owned two of them, the second one I spent a bunch of money on with Dana's parts, and Geisellee trigger. Only to sell both of them within 6 months of ownership.

I love the looks of the ACR, but function sucked in compared to form.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember seeing the Masada episode of Future Weapons and thinking it was so fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#22]
I bought one when they were still fairly new and have been happy with it. The weight isn't great for what it is but it has been a reliable rifle. I've always liked the ergonomics of it. The stock and grip are very comfortable to me, which shouldn't be much of a surprise since Magpul designed and manufactures them. There's a reason so many companies make ACR stock adapters for so many guns.

Remington sells the lighter profile 1/7 barrels now. I'll probably pick up one of those eventually which will help with the weight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought one on a whim last year and liked it at first but then the 16" barrel became a turn off

I SBRd it and was happy for a while but decided I just don't care for 223 in the ACR all that much. Also added a binary trigger but it's a little meh. Not sure if I'll keep it

Fortunately Bigdog Dana agreed to do a 6.5 Grendel barrel and I'm pretty excited to change calibers but stay SBRd. 6.5g has been a lot of fun in my AR and scratches an itch that 223 doesn't anymore

I actually shoot 6.5g more than I do my 5.45 or 7.62x39 AK74s these days. For whatever reason it's more enjoyable lately

Z
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I like mine but I think its just boringly reliable and solid. Its lost some luster just due to support and falling by the popularity wayside. There are things you can do in the aftermarket but you have to be willing to do more yourself. Some folks want something turn key from the factory and theres nothing wrong with that.

I dont think anyones arguing bushmasters complete mishandling of it but I love the rifle itself and have a 556 and 6.5 barrel for it. Its too bad it wasnt brought out by a better company or hell, I'd have prefered magpul made it and just cranked it out as a boutique gun a few at a time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoMan45] [#25]
All's I gott say is if you keep bitching about you POS ACR id be able to take care of it for you and provide a good and loving home!

Some of us can only scrap together rifles and your bitching about the beautiful ACR taking up space in your safe.... Id be glad to unburden you of it!
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is one of my favorite guns to shoot.  I don't think I'll ever get tired of mine.  Of course, I like shooting everything I have.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I read somewhere recently that the Huntsville guns are painted and not anodized. I hope that isn't true. Type 3 is pretty important for scratch resistance and durability.

My big complaint with the gun, aside from it being heavy, is the fact that there is no internal feed lip supports for the mags. When shooting prone I've found some mags wobble so badly they get whacked by the bolt carrier. Other mags will spit rounds on an open bolt reload. The SCAR suffers from the same stupid design flaw.

Otherwise, the ergos are just sort of wonky. Nothing a person can't get used to put there isn't much in terms of handling that's improved over the AR.

The MCX is the better thought out platform. It is not perfect and doesn't have much aftermarket support yet but it will ultimately be the better platform.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
All black acrs are anodized with type 3 anodizing as per Remington. It’s the exact coating they do on their military rifles.

The cerakote chips off and the anodizing sticks pretty well. My new pistol still looks brand new and I’ve beaten the hell out of it already.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
All black acrs are anodized with type 3 anodizing as per Remington. It’s the exact coating they do on their military rifles.  
View Quote
Is there still a military version of the ACR? I thought Remington abandoned it a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's a video I made several years ago. I sent it to  BFI but they were not interested.

The issue is because there's no internal magazine supports. The only thing stopping the mag from going clear up into the receiver is the bolt stop tab or the magazine insertion stop ala Gen 3 PMAGs. But even then I've occassionally been able to over-insert a Gen 3 mag and have it block the bolt during an emergency reload. Just today I was noticing that one of my Gen 3 PMAGs is chipped away at the reinforcement ledge right below the magazine slot.

Magpul expressed a little more concern but basically told me the ACR was spec'ed and designed around the original PMAG and that probably will give the best performance. But those mags are long gone now. I guess I could scrounge gun shows for Gen 1s and dedicate them just to this rifle...

Metal mags such as HK or USGI work better with regard to spitting but they still fit pretty loose in the mag well. Shooting prone off the mag causes the rear of the mag to roll up into the path of the bolt. It rubs on the rear edges of the mag. I've actually had the bolt stall out due to pressure from the mag feed lips.

Take a look inside your AR, Tavor, MCX or ArmaLite AR18 and you'll see what Magpul and Bushmaster missed. The ACR mag well is just a big open box. The other rifles have curved ridges at the top that help stop the mag's upward travel and support the feed lips.

Until Bushmaster or Remington can take a look at fixing this the ACR will remain, for me, just an interesting novelty.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#31]
In all the years I've been shooting my ACRs, and god only knows how many thousands of rounds I've put through them, I've never once jammed a magazine into one of the rifles so hard as to over insert it and have a round come flying out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#32]
What happens during this fellow's reload at about 20 seconds in?

Bushmaster ACR review.... Another crappy rifle
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0aSZC-H5M
View Quote
Looks like a round popped out of the magazine when he inserted it
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Mine too. I got one a couple weeks ago (haven't shot it yet) but my ACR Enhanced feels solid and no wiggles or rattles.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
@CJofFL mine has "ACRC" prefix s/n and with one of your lowers and my prototype lower its as rock solid as it can get...  Is yours any better with the new non folding adjustable rem stock?
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#36]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0aSZC-H5M
View Quote
Play it at .25X speed. The round pops out before the feed lips are even half way into the mag well. He loaded 31 rounds since it popped out before the magazine was even near locking.

BUT.... The ACR doesn't fully support the feed lips like most non AR rifles. If you jam an M2 magazine in hard enough, the feed lips will spread enough to pop out a round occasionally. To get an idea of how hard you have to insert it, bump the bottom of a Pmag until one comes out.

Take that kid's reviews with a bag of salt too. Pretty sure he's the one who got called out for gassing his reviews awhile back.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 4:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#37]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

Play it at .25X speed. The round pops out before the feed lips are even half way into the mag well. He loaded 31 rounds since it popped out before the magazine was even near locking.

BUT.... The ACR doesn't fully support the feed lips like most non AR rifles. If you jam an M2 magazine in hard enough, the feed lips will spread enough to pop out a round occasionally. To get an idea of how hard you have to insert it, bump the bottom of a Pmag until one comes out.

Take that kid's reviews with a bag of salt too. Pretty sure he's the one who got called out for gassing his reviews awhile back.
View Quote
See this video I linked above:

Note that not a whole lot of slapping or banging is required to pop rounds out.  Gen3 PMAG magazines are better but still not perfect.  Other mags, such as the Troy and ARC, spit rounds like some type of 5.56 pez dispenser.

Same mags used in a system with the internal feed lip supports:

I don't know if my ACR is particularly prone to this stuff or what but I can pop rounds out without much effort.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By thediesel:@CJofFL mine has "ACRC" prefix s/n and with one of your lowers and my prototype lower its as rock solid as it can get...  Is yours any better with the new non folding adjustable rem stock?
View Quote
The Rem Def IC stock adapter fits very snug to the receiver, so much so that it takes up play in the lower/trunnion, but the wiggle between it and the sliding buttplate is the worst I’ve ever seen on a rifle. It has far more instability that the stock folder. I contacted the seller and found the wiggle is typical. It’s bad enough that I returned one of the two and suggested the seller update the ad to indicate as much.

My stock folder has side to side play at the receiver interface as well as the folding catch, the lower relative to the receiver, and the handguard to the receiver. I’m not sure what to make of the comments that claim they have none as a friend claimed the same, but in reality is just like mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#39]

See this video I linked above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzOAVCfit8

Note that not a whole lot of slapping or banging is required to pop rounds out.  Gen3 PMAG magazines are better but still not perfect.  Other mags, such as the Troy and ARC, spit rounds like some type of 5.56 pez dispenser.

Same mags used in a system with the internal feed lip supports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6NuwH75RyM

I don't know if my ACR is particularly prone to this stuff or what but I can pop rounds out without much effort.
View Quote
I literally can't think if any reason why this would happen. You're definitely inserting harder than I ever would, but even so. I wonder if there's something with the bolt catch that pushes the feed lips open.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:

I literally can't think if any reason why this would happen. You're definitely inserting harder than I ever would, but even so. I wonder if there's something with the bolt catch that pushes the feed lips open.
View Quote
It is because the feed lips are free to spread inside the mag well.  There's nothing in there that they stop against and/or that keeps them from flexing.  The inertia of the round stack coming to a quick halt inside the gun is what's popping the top cartridge out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#41]

It is because the feed lips are free to spread inside the mag well.  There's nothing in there that they stop against and/or that keeps them from flexing.  The inertia of the round stack coming to a quick halt inside the gun is what's popping the top cartridge out.
View Quote
That was my first thought, but I can drop magazines with a lot more inertia than that and rounds stay put.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a FDE version about a year.  I did find it fascinating that a gun designed by Magpul would choke on Magpul mags.  An emergency reload under any type of speed would spit the top round out of my factory Magpul mag that came with the rifle.  I bought some Lancers and didn't have the issue again.  After one of the receiver screws back out and was lost forever during a day at the range I decided my modular rifle with no modular components wasn't worth the extra weight.  David
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Locutus494] [#43]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:
I had a FDE version about a year.  I did find it fascinating that a gun designed by Magpul would choke on Magpul mags.  An emergency reload under any type of speed would spit the top round out of my factory Magpul mag that came with the rifle.  I bought some Lancers and didn't have the issue again.  After one of the receiver screws back out and was lost forever during a day at the range I decided my modular rifle with no modular components wasn't worth the extra weight.  David
View Quote
Too bad you sold it because of that, since that's not true...
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Found this on another forum.  Supposedly posted on Travis Haley's facebook page seven or eight years ago:

Tyler Long: Travis quick question and anyone can answer to if they please, I am taking a poll SCAR L or ACR

Travis Haley: SCAR is far more accurate and reliable. I could certainly do without the reciprocating CH but I can get over that considering I have been very happy with the performance of the SCAR in classes and testing. I have broke every ACR I have ever touched with simple weapons manipulation.

Ed Driver: Travis what broke on the ACR

Travis Haley: short answer: Can't put any pressure on the mag when firing, spring tension issues, true barrel issues, accuracy issues, over insertion of mags, eats Pmags, weird malfunctions, just a lot of no go criteria issues that unfortunately haven't been fixed yet.

So Haley has had similar mag issues.  I haven't had any reliability issues other than failures to extract with Wolf.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:28:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bob9181] [#45]
I got a new ACR Enhanced in Coyote Brown a couple weeks back. Seemed a bit too front heavy for me. Unfortunately I had got a used Beretta ARX100 and CZ Bren 805 almost the same time as this. So, sold it without firing a single round. If it had a lighter barrel and front end, might have preferred the ACR over CZ. Just couldn’t take very front heavy nature of the ACR for now. That and combined with the factory aftermarket support / pathetic CS made me flip.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Cool, so you really know nothing about the ACR, well except it’s a little front heavy.  Seems like a legit opinion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DerekT:
Cool, so you really know nothing about the ACR, well except it’s a little front heavy.  Seems like a legit opinion.
View Quote
Thats just my personal opinion on why I got rid of it. Not giving any opinions on it being bad or good. Its a superb gun as people in the know like you already know.  Guess, you should learn to not read between the lines.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:57:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Locutus494] [#48]
Found this on another forum.  Supposedly posted on Travis Haley's facebook page seven or eight years ago:

Tyler Long: Travis quick question and anyone can answer to if they please, I am taking a poll SCAR L or ACR

Travis Haley: SCAR is far more accurate and reliable. I could certainly do without the reciprocating CH but I can get over that considering I have been very happy with the performance of the SCAR in classes and testing. I have broke every ACR I have ever touched with simple weapons manipulation.

Ed Driver: Travis what broke on the ACR

Travis Haley: short answer: Can't put any pressure on the mag when firing, spring tension issues, true barrel issues, accuracy issues, over insertion of mags, eats Pmags, weird malfunctions, just a lot of no go criteria issues that unfortunately haven't been fixed yet.

So Haley has had similar mag issues.  I haven't had any reliability issues other than failures to extract with Wolf.
View Quote
It's very well known that Travis Haley had a falling out with Magpul when he left, so he goes out of his way to talk shit about Magpul products, including the ACR, even directly contradicting things he said when he was enthusiastically promoting Magpul stuff (a lot of which he designed and holds the patents for). Nothing he says on the subject should be believed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Locutus494:

Nothing he says on the subject should be believed.
View Quote
Even if some of Haley's problems with the ACR mirror my own?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Even if some of Haley's problems with the ACR mirror my own?
View Quote
What other new issues have arisen? Your last post said just one. Try Lancers or USGI and your problem likely goes away. Need it be mentioned that SCAR's literally break from using Pmags?

And yes, Haley poo poos Magpul every chance he gets. He even uses USGI mags now he's so mad at them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top