Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2023 1:13:35 PM EDT
After drooling over the P90 and watching reviews I decided that I need a PS90. A local shop has a brand new PS90 for ~$1,700 and I think I can get it for about $1,600 OTD. Do you guys have any advice on what to look for on a brand new rifle? Are there any flaws or defects to look out for?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m not aware on any issues with a new in the box PS90 that you need to look out for.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have bought several of the PS90 over the last 15 years and I’ve shot the h#ll out of them.
I’ve been lucky to get some man kave upgrades when it was possible and as a result I’ve got
a great trigger as opposed to stock.
Shooting Sight is in the process (slowly) making a new hammer pack, which I’d suggest getting. I will.
I suggest you register a account on www.fnforum.net. There is a ton to learn from it. I’ve been a member
since 2012. You might even pick up a PS90 from another member who wants to sell. On the sight you will learn what others have used for sling attachments, optic choices and optic mounts among others.
Not much of them is a concern. I would buy used or new what ever fits your budget.
I have a Elite Survival bag made for it the PS90 in it you’ll find my short bull pup and 5 magazines loaded with 50 rounds each.
Nice and tidy.
It’s a keeper.
Doug.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had one of those for years...I think it is a Gen 1 if there is such a thing?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Never heard of any factory issues, buy, SBR and enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
No issues with mine for the last decade or so. They run like tops.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Should be picking it up today.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gqllc:
I have had one of those for years...I think it is a Gen 1 if there is such a thing?
View Quote

Me too.  Bought in early 2006.  Green stock (since swapped to black), original white ring sight (since swapped to a rail), and Gen 1 trigger pack.  No issues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Out of curiosity, do green p90's tend to bring in anymore money than the current black ones? In this case an SBR'd one. Havn't looked to see what trigger pack is in there yet, but it was purchased id say mid 2000's
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Only issue i ever had was running AE 5.7 after I SRD'ed it. I wont use the ammo to many FTE
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
FN just shipped a bunch of PS90's that come with 2 50 round mags and a Vortex Viper optic, pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:
Out of curiosity, do green p90's tend to bring in anymore money than the current black ones? In this case an SBR'd one. Havn't looked to see what trigger pack is in there yet, but it was purchased id say mid 2000's
View Quote

The green ones were the early ones, and most likely to have a Gen 1 trigger pack.  I suspect any increase in value is for the trigger pack, not the color.  Being an existing SBR probably devalues it, to tell the truth.  Not many people want to go through a Form 4 to buy someone else’s engraved SBR when they can just buy their own PS90 and Form 1 it themselves.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a tri rail and a green with the white ring.
Gen 1 or 2 are the true sleepers of the gun world because of a edgy coolness factor.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have shot thousands of rounds through mine and I can't recall ever having a stoppage, easily the most fun firearm I own.   The trigger... well it's a bullpup what do you expect?  lol

My only really gripe is ammo prices, but the last few years that applies to pretty much all ammo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
I have shot thousands of rounds through mine and I can't recall ever having a stoppage...
View Quote

Same here, and much of that was the AE that lots of people dislike.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought mine right after they were first introduced to the civilian market. The only changes I made was to remove the factory optic and put on a picatinny rail and red dot sight and to register as an SBR and cut the barrel down.
I added a suppressor but since it’s not a loud gun to begin with and I don’t know of any subsonic ammunition I removed it to use in another gun.

Mine has been 100% reliable even though I don’t really clean it much or lubricate it regularly.

I added an empty case pouch that catches empty cases which I recommend even if you aren’t going to reload since it drops empties at your feet could be an issue if using it in a tactical role.

It’s a really fun gun to shoot I wouldn’t sell mine for any reason.

Only real down side is ammunition isn’t exactly inexpensive. If ammunition price wasn’t so high it would be more fun to shoot and it would get shot more often.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have my original PS90 from 2005. Gen 1, white HC-14-62 Ring Sights, OD green, etc... I still have the original ring sights, went through every optic combo possible (rail, mount, etc...) and went to the MC-10-80 black reticle sight that I wanted back in 2005. I have Form 1 SBR'd it. Still runs like a sewing machine even on AE 40gr.

Only ever had 2 stoppages and it was with genuine FN SS197 blue-tip. Bob Ailes said it might have been the magazine so he replaced my magazine.

It's a fun range toy. The white box SS195 is the same as the current SS198. The newer SS195 is neutered a bit in speed but is otherwise the same as SS198 (just has the tips painted green). Max range would be about 225-250 yd.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I've shot the crap out of mine and reload for it.  The brass catcher bag is very nice for that as well.  Be warned that the round is a bit fiddly to load for due to its size and other factors.  The Case Club hard case was another good purchase.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 1:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#18]
Well I just got one. It's one of the newer mfg. versions.

Now to decide if I'm going to SBR or not. As hard as stocks are to get for replacement, it makes me concerned about SBR'ing it and FN not helping me out if I have a failure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#19]
Originally Posted By 10-8DoWork:
As hard as stocks are to get for replacement, it makes me concerned about SBR'ing it and FN not helping me out if I have a failure.
View Quote
Do you have to ship them the whole gun if your stock breaks? Why would it matter if it's an SBR or not?

I may be out of the loop on this...
Has stock breakage been a problem?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Do you have to ship them the whole gun if your stock breaks? Why would it matter if it's an SBR or not?

I may be out of the loop on this...
Has stock breakage been a problem?
View Quote

I've seen more than a few issues with stock separation when running suppressed and/or higher round counts. FN refused to service rifles that had been SBR'd.

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
FN refused to service rifles that had been SBR'd.
View Quote
Man that's lame.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Man that's lame.
View Quote

You know how it goes, maybe there's more to the story. But I guess FN is pretty open about not warrantying items if you do more than just "accessorize".
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I've seen more than a few issues with stock separation when running suppressed and/or higher round counts. FN refused to service rifles that had been SBR'd.

View Quote

Run a 9mm can and you won't have nearly the backpressure and won't be giving up much suppression.  I went with an R9.
Elite sells a screw and bushing kit to capture the receiver if the area around the takedown button wears out.
MGW has stocks come in batches if you feel the need to replace it 50k rounds from now...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:31:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#24]
Is there a market for the OEM barrel? I'm trying to figure out what is the most cost effective... Have my OEM cut or buy the CMMG and sell my oem barrel.

I can get the CMMG 10.4 barrel and their muzzle device for ~$350

Or have my OEM barrel cut by TROS for ~$200 and have to source a muzzle device bringing it to about $300. And with shipping costs, probably going to be closer to $350.

And on the 9mm can. I have a Rugged Obsidian 9 but I don't think they rate it for 5.7. I have a pending email to them asking this question.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Morgan at Class 3 Machining is cheaper than Tros, think i paid $120 including return shipping.
Install with a CMMG thread adapter, then use whatever muzzle device you want.

I shortened the CMMG adapter a bit and I'm running a YHM SRX mini mount for the R9.
Much more solid than the 3-lug setup i started with.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had one since about 2013 I got like new for 1100
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought one a few months ago and love it. It is an extremely well thought-out and intelligent design.

One thing to mention is that FN seems to import these rifles in large batches only a few times a year which causes the market value to fluctuate strongly. Over the summer, there seemed to have been a large importation and the prices correspondingly dropped - I purchased my rifle (lightly used but with the original box, manual, original 30 round magazine, and three 50 round magazines) for $1350 I believe. As this batch has begun to be consumed and the market recover from the saturation of rifles, the prices have climbed somewhat now.

Be that as it may, I personally do think that the rifle is worth the $1600 price tag. It truly is a fantastic weapon system and it is particularly nice that these rifles are still imported directly from FN in Belgium, rather than having production be moved to Columbia, SC as happened with the SCAR series of rifles. Part of this is likely that, ironically, the rifles are easily importable as-is under the 1989 assault rifles import ban. They come stock without any "evil features" such as bayonet lugs, pistol grips, folding stocks, etc. and FN has significant experience jumping through those hoops from back when they figured out how to import the SCAR series of rifles.

I would jump on the deal assuming that you haven't already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine a few years ago. Runs like a top. Battlefield Vegas as a thread about the PS90. At their range PS90’s (they may have P90s) get something like 90,000 rounds through them before they have any sort of maintenance.

The barrel of the PS90 has a shroud on it. You can either attempt to drill the pin out to remove the shroud or just saw through the end of the shroud/barrel. I could not get the pin removed so I just sawed it off.

I bought a CMMG barrel for $350. I’m going to have the FN stock barrel cut and threaded at some point as a spare. To remove the barrel (if I remember correctly) you loosen up a nut, take a doweling rod and push the barrel out going forward out the front of the gun. This leaves the wooden doweling rod in the gun and keeps the big spring inside the gun. You get your new barrel and push it back into the gun using the wooden doweling as a guide back in. Then tighten it back up. Don’t over tighten and break the plastic. There are a few videos online.

Problems with the PS90 are very rare. Once in a while people have problems with AE 5.7 ammo. But it could be more the manufacturer. It could also be the stock magazine rollers.

The magazines have a couple plastic rollers in them. They are really ruff looking. If you can find some man kave rollers buy a bunch and swap them out.

The other thing I have heard is if you run a .22LR can on it the back pressure can be to great depending on what ammo you use. Using a larger 5.56 can seams to eliminate that happing.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#29]
First thing to do is remove that horrible factory rail and replace it with a TROS 1913 rail or DesignMachine optic mount.

Then SBR it as soon as possible.   CMMG sells barrels.   Keep your cut barrel for a backup.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
I got mine a few years ago. Runs like a top. Battlefield Vegas as a thread about the PS90.
View Quote

Can you link the thread?  I can’t find it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]

The other thing I have heard is if you run a .22LR can on it the back pressure can be to great depending on what ammo you use. Using a larger 5.56 can seams to eliminate that happing.

View Quote

so here is an immensely stupid question, perhaps the dumbest question you will see all week.

has anyone ever "blown up" a .22 can with a 5.7.  

Just spitballing here, but I would think there is a lot more pressure with a 5.7 than what a .22 can is built for or am I way in left field on this?

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I’ve heard that too - it led me to decide not to run my Mask on my SBRed PS90 but instead to use my Turbo T3 once it’s out of jail.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

so here is an immensely stupid question, perhaps the dumbest question you will see all week.

has anyone ever "blown up" a .22 can with a 5.7.  

Just spitballing here, but I would think there is a lot more pressure with a 5.7 than what a .22 can is built for or am I way in left field on this?

View Quote

Most manufacturers will specifically tell you it's rated for 5.7.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't leave your mags loaded to capacity.
I have 3 mags that have been loaded since 2018. Two of them loaded to 50 for HD and Varmints and one that is generally down loaded between 45 to 48 rounds depending how often I go shooting and how many rounds I have left.
The two mags that are loaded to capacity are cracking in the same spots. The mag that is never at capacity is not cracked.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By R3dundantC:
I have 3 mags that have been loaded since 2018. Two of them loaded to 50 for HD and Varmints and one that is generally down loaded between 45 to 48 rounds depending how often I go shooting and how many rounds I have left.
The two mags that are loaded to capacity are cracking in the same spots. The mag that is never at capacity is not cracked.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/931997531532058665/1169051694349422592/20231031_161044.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/931997531532058665/1169051694043254794/20231031_160857.jpg
View Quote

Sitting on the shelf or bouncing around in a truck?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Date code of the cracked mags? Asking as I read something about fragile mags pre 2009-2010.

I've also read about mag cracking after slapping them into the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

One generally sitting in the gun and the other sitting on top of the safe

Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Date code of the cracked mags? Asking as I read something about fragile mags pre 2009-2010.

I've also read about mag cracking after slapping them into the rifle.

I don't know that I buy that. My most used mag is the downloaded one, and the 2 others that I regularly use but have never kept loaded are slapped into the gun and have no cracks. The two loaded mags just exist.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By R3dundantC:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/931997531532058665/1169051694349422592/20231031_161044.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/931997531532058665/1169051694043254794/20231031_160857.jpg
View Quote

maaaaaaan,.... you had me all worried!   I have mags I bought almost a couple decades ago and others at various points since then (10 total) I generally keep fully loaded.  The way ammo prices have been they have all been loaded to capacity since 2019 because I have been shooting much, and with 5.7 ammo none at all.

All still pristine and none are cracked.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:25:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#39]

Andrew Atwell with Atwell Tactical in Richardson TX did the conversion in less than 20 minutes for like $120. He keeps a cut/threaded FN barrel on hand for these jobs, swaps your long barrel for the short one, and then cuts/threads yours for the next job and so on. Class3 Machining wanted $150 for the barrel chop alone.

Stamp came back in 11 days.

This is one of the most fun guns I’ve ever owned
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
https://i.ibb.co/fFzFFn0/E04-DEB66-370-D-485-F-8010-964224-BCFE30.jpg

Andrew Atwell with Atwell Tactical in Richardson TX did the conversion in less than 20 minutes for like $120. He keeps a cut/threaded FN barrel on hand for these jobs, swaps your long barrel for the short one, and then cuts/threads yours for the next job and so on. Class3 Machining wanted $150 for the barrel chop alone.

View Quote

Nice Tri-rail! Is that a front sight on the rail?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pair_of_ACES] [#41]
Originally Posted By levi333:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By levi333:
https://i.ibb.co/fFzFFn0/E04-DEB66-370-D-485-F-8010-964224-BCFE30.jpg

It is. I wanted a basic rudimentary backup sight arrangement without being too obtrusive.

I cut a sliver of a circular black vinyl decal into a basic V notch shape and carefully stuck it to the bottom 1/5 or so of the red dot rear lens.

I got pretty close to dead on the first try, but I simply filed down the front sight post a little to keep it more or less accurate at 15 yards.

Kind of goofy maybe, but it works surprisingly well, and you don’t have to worry about having a bunch of stuff on the rail up top. It doesn’t really interfere with the sight picture when using the dot either.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I've got an early weapon with the USSS sight. 3 gallons of brass later it's still trucking. Great firearm!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BravoSector1:
I've got an early weapon with the USSS sight. 3 gallons of brass later it's still trucking. Great firearm!
View Quote

Speaking of brass, is there a market for empty 5.7 casings?

I’ve been saving mine simply because of the cost but I know I’ll never take up reloading.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Yes, if it's still got the factory coating on it.

Potential buyers will want to know that.
So they'll be looking for "Once fired, still has factory coating." Anything else would be a gamble on functionality (in a P90/PS90).
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#45]

So they'll be looking for "Once fired, still has factory coating." Anything else would be a gamble on functionality (in a P90/PS90).
View All Quotes

This was all fired once from a 10in Ps90 and then promptly picked up from an indoor range floor
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
Originally Posted By metroplex:

Only ever had 2 stoppages and it was with genuine FN SS197 blue-tip. You mean genuine FIOCCHI

Only failures I've had were playing with Fiocchi range dynamics Subs, just a couple short strokes.
Their 40gr runs fine for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top