Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2009 2:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtlmj]
Edit:  I made this post years ago before Photobucket dumped everyone and all my photos were lost. kfeltenberger was forward-thinking enough to take screenshots of my original post and he has linked it for everyone here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quv0zpdkuhrcz0o/Steyr%20AUG%20A3%20Step-by-Step.pdf?dl=0
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Superb! We gotta make a sticky out of this!
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 4:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoProG] [#2]
Excellent illustrations. My gas adjuster was just too tight for me to use my finger..ouch. I removed the barrel group, grabbed a Bic pen and rested the end of in on the adjuster wings, wrapped my four left hand fingers around the end of the barrel's end and put my left thumb on the end of the pen and pushed hard, on the same axis as the adjuster wing is oriented and she finally complied and moved downward to allow rotation of the adjuster. New gun, Tight parts. Great post.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
Superb! We gotta make a sticky .pdf out of this!
Tomac

Very nicel done.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DWood] [#5]
After struggling through my first take down of the E-4 with the factory manual, I can say that this post is a great help and makes the take down very clear. I didn't lock the charging handle back and learned that the hammer pack won't come out unless the hammer is locked back. My rifle is so tight that standing it vertical on a desk and pulling pressure down in line on the receiver makes pushing the take down pin through the stock a little easier.

sgtlmg, thanks for the great contribution. please follow when you can on your "I'll work on cleaning, lube, and re-assembly pics at some point and/or do a video". It would be great to see the points that you lubricate with the photos you have already taken. I know how to lube an AR but I'm only guesing with the E-4. The manual doesn't give good instructions.

Thanks for the help your post gives a new bullpup shooter.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndyHk93M4] [#6]
very nice job   wish i had this when i first got my aug a3

i struggled with the gas piston for a bit
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DWood:
After struggling through my first take down of the E-4 with the factory manual, I can say that this post is a great help and makes the take down very clear. I didn't lock the charging handle back and learned that the hammer pack won't come out unless the hammer is locked back. My rifle is so tight that standing it vertical on a desk and pulling pressure down in line on the receiver makes pushing the take down pin through the stock a little easier.

sgtlmg, thanks for the great contribution. please follow when you can on your "I'll work on cleaning, lube, and re-assembly pics at some point and/or do a video". It would be great to see the points that you lubricate with the photos you have already taken. I know how to lube an AR but I'm only guesing with the E-4. The manual doesn't give good instructions.

Thanks for the help your post gives a new bullpup shooter.

In a nutshell, put a couple drops on the carrier guide rods, and a couple drops on the top of the bolt at the cam pin.  The AUG requires very little lube.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
OK that helps with the general idea. AR shooters are well aware of the need to lube the bolt frequently during long shooting sessions like a carbine class. The AUG bolt is not very accessible through the ejection port, but I'm guessing it's not as big an issue due to the gas system instead of DI. Do you ever find a need to lube the bolt when shooting a lot? Seems like you could get a little oil on the front third of the bolt visible while pulling back on the charging handle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DWood:
OK that helps with the general idea. AR shooters are well aware of the need to lube the bolt frequently during long shooting sessions like a carbine class. The AUG bolt is not very accessible through the ejection port, but I'm guessing it's not as big an issue due to the gas system instead of DI. Do you ever find a need to lube the bolt when shooting a lot? Seems like you could get a little oil on the front third of the bolt visible while pulling back on the charging handle.

As you pointed out the AUG is not DI like the AR.  The system doesn't blast its internals with hot gasses and carbon like the AR.  AR shooters are using all kinds of super-lubes like synthetic high friction motor oil due to the engine-like atmosphere in the bolt carrier.  They have to have something that can take the punishment of getting gunked up and having the lube get blasted out.

The AUG just needs a light lubricant to keep the action slippery and prevent wear.  It isn't necessary to re-apply during a long range session, simply because the lube isn't getting scorched by hot gases.  Lube the parts after cleaning and forget about it until the next cleaning.  

I've run through a couple 40 rd mags as fast as I could, then popped the action out of the stock and held onto the bolt carrier with my bare hand.  Try that with a DI AR.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Good info, thanks for all your advice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, I figured out how to change the gas port settings (use a cartridge!), but for the life of me I cannot remove the barrel from my STG-556.

I've got the bolt locked back, but I cannot "press down on the barrel lock button", it's seemingly unable to be moved. I've even used the end of a sharpie pen to try to apply as much downward force as possible, but no luck.

What's the trick here?
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stfram:
OK, I figured out how to change the gas port settings (use a cartridge!), but for the life of me I cannot remove the barrel from my STG-556.

I've got the bolt locked back, but I cannot "press down on the barrel lock button", it's seemingly unable to be moved. I've even used the end of a sharpie pen to try to apply as much downward force as possible, but no luck.

What's the trick here?

Down is relative.  You don't press it into the receiver, you are pushing it down towards the floor if you are holding the rifle parallel to the ground. Look closely at the button and you'll see that it's in a little groove.  Slide it along the groove.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 4:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stfram] [#13]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Down is relative.  You don't press it into the receiver, you are pushing it down towards the floor if you are holding the rifle parallel to the ground. Look closely at the button and you'll see that it's in a little groove.  Slide it along the groove.

Gotcha!

I'll try this as soon as I get home and have the rifle in hand.

Edit: Came right off.
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
sgtlmj,

What are you using behind the ejection port to protect the stock?

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Cawdor:
sgtlmj,

What are you using behind the ejection port to protect the stock?

http://www.sgtlmj.com/AUG/AUG_TAKEDOWN_02.jpg

Commercial stair-nose tape (uber-strong skateboard tape).  I'm about to take it off though.  I put it on to protect the stock IF for some reason I didn't warm up to it and wanted to sell it off right away.  I'm in love now, so it's time to let her get some character.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I just wanted to thank you as well for this fantastic thread: well done sgtlmj!
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#17]
OP updated with Ratworx videos!  
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks a bunch for this.  I just got my STG-556 today and I don't think I would have gotten it apart without this thread.

The instruction manual is compared to this thread.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Great vids. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Very helpful photos for take down.  Much appreciated sgtlmj!

One quick question, on the AUG's inside the chamber where the gas piston resides, is that interior chrome plated as well as the gas piston assembly?  When I dissasembled my piston, I had a bit of carbon to clean up, but wasn't sure how much I need to clean the chamber, mine is very black inside.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Very helpful photos for take down.  Much appreciated sgtlmj!

One quick question, on the AUG's inside the chamber where the gas piston resides, is that interior chrome plated as well as the gas piston assembly?  When I dissasembled my piston, I had a bit of carbon to clean up, but wasn't sure how much I need to clean the chamber, mine is very black inside.

I don't think it is, but it's a great idea.  TPD was nickel plating the inside of their gas chambers at one point.  It's not that hard to clean it though.  Just use a .45ACP brush soaked in solvent and give it a good scrubbing.  I personally use Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner.  I fill the bbl and gas chamber and let it set for a few hours.  Carbon wipes out just as advertised.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the vids and step-by-step pics, these are extremely helpful.

Ryan
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#23]
The trigger group retaining pin also works as a tool to adjust tight gas settings. At least on the Austeyr.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you sir for the excellent thread.  One quick question, where do you get this "wipe out foam"?  I have never heard of it before.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
MidwayUSA has it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ras_Thavas:
Thanks a bunch for this.  I just got my STG-556 today and I don't think I would have gotten it apart without this thread.

The instruction manual is compared to this thread.

I'm fairly competent with firearms, but the Rat Worx videos were a big help.  The rifle I just picked up was freaking tight as a drum.  I thought I was doing something wrong during
disassembly until I watched the vids.

The flash hider video is also good stuff.....now just to be patient and wait until my Rat Worx thread adapter gets here!
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, cool stuff!  I've always loved the AUG, but I can't get one here in the PRK.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Sawgunner101:
Wow, cool stuff!  I've always loved the AUG, but I can't get one here in the PRK.

You can get a USR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#29]
All the images are dead.   Maybe desticky this?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#30]
As above, and I just got my hands on an USR rifle, too. It would have been SOOO handy.
To the OP: is there any way you could re-upload the pics?

Please?

Thank you! Franco
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Agreed.  Would love to see pics and links all fixed up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Agreed.  Would love to see pics and links all fixed up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry folks. I haven't had an AUG in over a decade and the pics are long gone; probably 3-4 computers ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Sorry folks. I haven't had an AUG in over a decade and the pics are long gone; probably 3-4 computers ago.
View Quote

I may have a workaround, I'm waiting to hear back from sgtlmj.

Kurt
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kfeltenberger:

I may have a workaround, I'm waiting to hear back from sgtlmj.

Kurt
View Quote

Kurt has permission to re-post the original instructions in a new thread.  Thanks for taking this on Kurt!

**Mods, please un-sticky this post**
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#36]
In the event the new thread isn't sticky'd and ages out, here's the link:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/AUG-Step-by-Step-Takedown-and-Gas-Settings-v2-0/43-533840/
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#37]
In the event the new thread isn't sticky'd and ages out, here's the link:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/AUG-Step-by-Step-Takedown-and-Gas-Settings-v2-0/43-533840/
View Quote

New thread has been archived now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

New thread has been archived now.
View Quote

So much for the mods pinning it...
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#39]

So much for the mods pinning it...
View Quote
Hey, thank you for trying!

Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Since it appears this thread will remain, here is the link to the document on step-by-step take down.

Kurt

AUG Step-By-Step Takedown PDF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top