Armory Sponsor
[ARCHIVED THREAD] - Why does keymo suck? (Page 2 of 2)
|
Quoted: It's just big and heavy. Functionally it's fine. This. At the time too people were more inclined to buy overly durable cans (I certainly was). Years later I’m finding myself paying far more attention to weight and “rebuying” lighter weight cans that better serve my needs. |
|
Quoted: This. At the time too people were more inclined to buy overly durable cans (I certainly was). Years later I’m finding myself paying far more attention to weight and “rebuying” lighter weight cans that better serve my needs. Quoted: Quoted: It's just big and heavy. Functionally it's fine. This. At the time too people were more inclined to buy overly durable cans (I certainly was). Years later I’m finding myself paying far more attention to weight and “rebuying” lighter weight cans that better serve my needs. many would argue that functionally its not fine. |
|
Quoted: Why did PSA put a keymo muzzle device on their Jakl? My brother has a 13.8" pin and welded jakl with the JMAC keymo MD. PSA sells Jakl's with a number of different popular muzzle devices. I've never fired my Keymo. I bought the adapters and a MD, messed around with them a bit, and decided to go to Plan B. |
|
Quoted: many would argue that functionally its not fine. Fair for those that have had that experience. I have one of the first 150 cans and it has been fine. I could see where Keymo as a standalone system could also be more problematic vs. being integral to the can. With that said I do think the Dead Air hate has been a big bandwagon. Some of the hate is justified ala Sierra 5 but I think lots of folks chime in despite not owning a single DA product. |
|
Quoted: Fair for those that have had that experience. I have one of the first 150 cans and it has been fine. I could see where Keymo as a standalone system could also be more problematic vs. being integral to the can. With that said I do think the Dead Air hate has been a big bandwagon. Some of the hate is justified ala Sierra 5 but I think lots of folks chime in despite not owning a single DA product. Quoted: Quoted: many would argue that functionally its not fine. Fair for those that have had that experience. I have one of the first 150 cans and it has been fine. I could see where Keymo as a standalone system could also be more problematic vs. being integral to the can. With that said I do think the Dead Air hate has been a big bandwagon. Some of the hate is justified ala Sierra 5 but I think lots of folks chime in despite not owning a single DA product. I would buy a Mask. A little interested in Laz 6 |
|
I converted my sdn6 to Keymo a while back and bought 2 Sandman Ss along with about a dozen mounts. I also bout a Ranger 7 and added keymo. The only issue I've had in all these years is when I didn't mount the SDN6 properly and it nicked the end cap. 100% my fault. I dont mind the added weight or length either as I'm not chasing those bugs, and the cans are super durable so I'll continue to use Keymo. My goal was to have the least amount of different mounting systems as possible and Keymo was the go-to when I settled on a mounting system. I hope Dead Air's qc has it's act together on the Sandman X because it will likely be one of my next cans, but I'll be waiting a bit to see how others do with it. |
|
Quoted: Fair for those that have had that experience. I have one of the first 150 cans and it has been fine. I could see where Keymo as a standalone system could also be more problematic vs. being integral to the can. With that said I do think the Dead Air hate has been a big bandwagon. Some of the hate is justified ala Sierra 5 but I think lots of folks chime in despite not owning a single DA product. Some of it is definitely the result of outsourcing the parts. Small sample size of nearly nothing, but 2 muzzle devices in different pitches from different online retailers not fitting one mount is not an optimal outcome because the problems manifest work on customers. Guys here in the building have lately encouraged me to outsource parts for speed and availability, and there is some significant development on the floor with certain parts and there are better and worse parts for outsourcing, because not all of the parts are simple to manufacture. A contract manufacturer will 90% likelihood care less about your part than you do. So I remind those guys often, that it can get complicated fast. I just spent maybe 5 hours Friday on the floor with a new suppressor tube, just getting everything running smooth and to quality. It turned out one of the settup people loaded an aluminum wiper insert of the wrong hand for the tool. So 3 hours of the pain and suffering was trying different feeds, then re-toolpathing the tool to cut in a conventional direction and trying different feeds to break chips wrapping the part before a transfer, (we did break them at a point, and the surface finish was itself acceptable, but the rolling and flying aluminum chips were scratching the tube's finish making the part look like it had been vibratory deburred at that point so that was unacceptable). I ultimately figured out the settup guy had loaded the right insert in a left holder, and going back to the original code, cutting in the opposite feed direction, and the original feed speed to get that working (a solution based on development from many years ago on another aluminum pistol tube because we try to integrate past lessons learned into new stuff to save time). There was a second more minor and really freak issue (super unlikely issue) also- the insert is super niche (most insert manufacturers care less about aluminum inserts as they don't wear out rapidly so there is low consumption and thus low revenue production in them), and the manufacturer claims the insert has a .03125 corner radius, but a radius on the front of the part was not showing up, because the radius was actually more like .055" in the grind of the insert. So that requires a change in the programming code to get the radius to cut correctly and be present. These just illustrate the ways in which handing a part to a contract manufacturer may not go great. In the process we improved several other things about the way the part was running, but 800 miles away, running at another shop, we wouldn't be privy to any of that process, and the parts might just show up in a less than ideal form. |
[ARCHIVED THREAD] - Why does keymo suck? (Page 2 of 2)
Armory Sponsor
Join the Community
Your next conversation starts here.
Create your free account to join discussions, share your experience, save topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.
- Join discussions
- Follow topics and replies
- Connect with fellow enthusiasts
Already a member? Sign in
Stay informed by subscribing to our Newsletter