Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad you had a happy ending.
View Quote

Thanks. Kind of blown away at how accurate it is. Hopefully I can tighten it up. Would you suggest trying different over all lengths? 3 thousands at a time?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I never said that "typical" case gauges only measured headspace.  I said the LE Wilson "case" gauge that the OP was using is a headspace gauge meant for checking the headspace of fired cases.  The LE Wilson headspace gauge was designed to work with a micrometer top to accurately measure the headspace of fired cases. (shown on the far right in the pic below)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/headspace_gauges_003-2422145.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, I too thank Molon for the difference in gauges. I was not aware that the typical “case gauge” only measured headspace. I had always ASSumed they were supposed to be cut as a minimum chamber. Never heard of anyone using them with unsized cases, just as a check for sized.

I never said that "typical" case gauges only measured headspace.  I said the LE Wilson "case" gauge that the OP was using is a headspace gauge meant for checking the headspace of fired cases.  The LE Wilson headspace gauge was designed to work with a micrometer top to accurately measure the headspace of fired cases. (shown on the far right in the pic below)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/headspace_gauges_003-2422145.jpg

I own and recommend the gage pictured second from the right. Mo DeFina's gages are excellent.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good news to know they stand behind their product like that.

Also great news on the accuracy potential!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is amazing. I assumed a case gauge insured your hand loaded ammo was within specification.

This is from LE Wilsons website.

The "Wilson Case Gage" A one piece gage that will check overall length and indicate min/max case length
Measures min/max Headspace. Does not measure body diameters
This gage is intended to be used with fired cases to determine a basis for full length sizing and case trimming

Are they wrong? What am I missing? An AR15 barrel is made to a 223/556 standard, right??? This is not a custom made one off custom chambered barrel. My 2 White Oak barrels all shoot this ammo just fine.

View Quote
This still shows up in My Topics since it was saved from archiving by toggling, was accurate at the time, but what is more interesting is how many more gauges have come on the market since 2013

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Rifle-case-gages-are-not-chamber-gages/42-387398/
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I had that same issue with  308AR.  My dillon case cause said I was well within spec.  Except I had to keep a flathead screw driver with me.  Since I had a JP barrel I got a JP case gauge.  Yup... all the remaining ammo I made was way out of spec.  Got a small base die and problem gone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Glad you are sending it back. There are some that would stand by their beloved brand and accuse you of being wrong, than admit that G may have made a mistake in manufacturing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I have about 40,000 cases sized and primed. If I can ream the barrel slightly it will be easier than segregating this barrel to brass that is sized just to accommodate this barrel. At the end of the day I strongly suspect this barrel is tighter than it should be.

And if it’s got a snug chamber, even running some “hotter” factory ammo in it could pose some problems

It’s worth letting Geissele take a look at it just to be on the safe side.  I’d rather send it in and have it checked especially if it’s a rifle I’ll be depending on for years and years

Glad you are sending it back. There are some that would stand by their beloved brand and accuse you of being wrong, than admit that G may have made a mistake in manufacturing.

It happens especially with resharpened reamers, which doesn’t sound like how those barrels are made.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The old barrel was bad snd the new barrel is good.  Sone thing was out of spec with the old barrel.  Glad they fixed it eventually.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top