Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2020 5:30:46 PM EDT
Title says it all I’ve had a desire to try learn how to competently shoot a traditional bow for a little while now I have zero archery experience

Any good brand or models?

I’m 5’10 so being generally average size can I just order online or will I have to be fitted? Is there a way to approximate the size of bow I need?

What pull weight would you guys suggest? I had it in my head that I wanted a bow that was decently powerful but in doing some googling I’m having second thoughts on that, for reference if it even matters I’m 200lbs and while I’m no gym rat I can jack hammer and do physical labor at my job all day so I’m in reasonable shape

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull weight depends on the animal hunted and state requirements.
Seems like it is measured at 28” draw. Good average is 55-60. You need a lot more practice than with a compound or even a recurve. Been ages since I shot one, so take it with a grain of salt. When I started, I had a guy take me under his wings and he ran an archery shop. I graduated to a compound, archery tournaments, and then to a crossbow due to a shoulder injury.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Pull weight depends on the animal hunted and state requirements.
Seems like it is measured at 28” draw. Good average is 55-60. You need a lot more practice than with a compound or even a recurve. Been ages since I shot one, so take it with a grain of salt. When I started, I had a guy take me under his wings and he ran an archery shop. I graduated to a compound, archery tournaments, and then to a crossbow due to a shoulder injury.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up

I actually went way lighter with a 29lb Pioneer longbow if I gain a level of competency on that and my interest hasn’t faded I’ll go heavier
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top