Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2011 11:25:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave_Markowitz]

I've been interested in getting back into archery after not having shot a bow in years. The other night I strung my 55# Martin Howatt Hunter recurve for the first time in several years. I came to the conclusion I'm way over-bowed with it and will need a lighter bow to take up archery again. After doing a lot of reading online I decided to go with a 40# Magyar style horse bow from Seven Meadows Archery. I ordered this one, along with a spare string and leather thumb ring. I ordered a dozen arrows for it from Three Rivers Archery (along with a youth recurve for my daughter, who's expressed an interest in archery).

I'll post pics and a review after I receive my orders.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
looks nice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the bow today. Here are some pictures, along with my 55# Martin Howatt Hunter recurve for comparison. (I took these inside with my iPhone. I hope to shoot the bow and get better pictures this weekend.)

First, strung and unstrung:

Closeup of the grip showing the ash strikeplate:

The pic isn't very good but you can probably see that there is no shelf for the arrow to rest on. Your hand is the arrow rest. I plan to wear a leather glove when shooting.

Closeup of the upper siyah, or rigid limb tip, made from ash:

That little stick-on label with a stock number and draw weight is the only identifier on the bow.

The ash parts are either unfinished or very lightly finished. I'm thinking of rubbing some Sno-Seal onto the whole thing to help keep the wood and leather from drying out. The limbs under the leather wraps are made from fiberglass, so they are zero maintenance.

Both the bowyer and Seven Meadows Archery recommend the step-through method for stringing the bow. This is OK but you have to be careful not to twist the limbs. This video shows the method:

It's not a problem with this 40# bow but it would be difficult for me to string my 55# bow this way. I use a stringer for the Martin, but it will not fit the Magyar bow's limp tips. I may make a stringer that will fit it because it's a safer way of stringing and unstringing the bow.

I'm really looking forward to shooting it and will post an AAR.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Well, I got to shoot the Magyar bow for the first time this morning. I kept it to 10 yards since it's probably been about 15 years since the last time I shot a bow. I was able to keep all my arrows on the target.

The bow draws smoothly but does have a bit of hand shock. It's not too bad, IMO.

One problem I ran into was that I did a bad job of attaching the field points to my cedar arrows and most of them came off when I pulled them out of the target. I'm going to order more points, use a different glue, and bevel the back edge of the points so they don't catch on the target when I pull them out. In the meantime, I used my old Easton XX75 aluminum arrows which were matched to my Martin Hunter recurve. They shot ok in the new bow.

I'm happy with the bow and look forward to shooting it a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
how much?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
List price on the bow was ~$300 but I had a 15% discount code.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool! Sure don't see that style of now around these days!!!  Now all ya need is a horse!!!

Before you glue on those points next time, soak to clean them in rubbing alcohol!
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By FiremanBrad:

Very cool! Sure don't see that style of now around these days!!!  Now all ya need is a horse!!!

Before you glue on those points next time, soak to clean them in rubbing alcohol!

No horse. Maybe my mountain bike.

Along with my new points I also ordered a small stainless steel brush to clean their insides. I'll then degrease them with some acetone and chamfer the back outer edge so they don't catch when I pull them from a target.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you doing mediteranean with arrow on the left or thumb ring draw with arrow on the right.

I've done a little bit of horse back archery.  It's pretty exciting to shoot while cantering.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 6:04:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave_Markowitz] [#10]
Primarily Mediterranean release with the arrow on the right (I am left handed), as it's what I know. However, I did get a leather thumbring along with the bow and gave it a try shooting off the left side for about a dozen shots yesterday. It was interesting and I can see where you'd get a cleaner release. However, the leather thumbring doesn't provide much protection and it hurt to use. I'm going to look into getting or making a horn thumbring and trying it some more.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 12:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 2:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave_Markowitz] [#12]
From their FAQ:

Can I use a bow stringer on my Mongolian bow?

If you have a bow stringer that fits on the tips of a horsebow I don't see why it should do any harm, however we recommend the step-through method for stringing as demonstrated in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGUNeMQBg7M

The flyer which comes with the bow describes the same thing.

I have a stringer that I use with my Martin but the pockets on it will not fit on the siyahs of the horse bow. I don't have a problem stringing this bow this way, it's only 40#. On a bow with a heavier pull I'd want to use something like this:

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
It is possible to twist the bow when using the step through method. I would think it would be easier to twist it or let it get away from you by just placing the bottom tip against your instep. An advantage of the step through method is that you can use your legs to help you bend the bow. You're not just depending on your arms.

A stringer is of course preferable, if you have one that fits.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
From their FAQ:

If you have a bow stringer that fits on the tips of a horsebow I don't see why it should do any harm, however we recommend the step-through method for stringing as demonstrated in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGUNeMQBg7M

I have a stringer that I use with my Martin but the pockets on it will not fit on the siyahs of the horse bow. I don't have a problem stringing this bow this way, it's only 40#. On a bow with a heavier pull I'd want to use something like this:

Wow, I'd be worried that the bow would slip off my feet, especially if I was wearing socks like that dude in the video, and it  would come back and hit me in the nuts.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By crazytuco:
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
From their FAQ:

Wow, I'd be worried that the bow would slip off my feet, especially if I was wearing socks like that dude in the video, and it  would come back and hit me in the nuts.

That's exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was watching that video. That guy is taking some chances.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top