Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 1:40:47 AM EDT
Injury has dictated that I can't shoot a compound any longer. I enjoyed just getting out in the yard and spending some quality time inside my own head and some competition shooting, although I was never what I consider a high caliber shooter.
Anyway, I had played with a few crossbows 25+ years ago and was underwhelmed with everything about them. I read and hear they are not the same dismal critters they were then, and with dwindling options, I think they may be the only alternative.
Shoulders are pretty shot and my rib cage on one side is pieced back together to the point I'm "show and tell" in an X-ray department. Heavy recoil from my normal rifles is out. An AR is looking like my new rifle of choice.
I will have to try a few to see if I can cock it, and what device will work best, if any.
So,,,,,,,,,,any pointers on a decent ~$250 ish bow would be appreciated. Maybe that is too low a price, but I want to see if it is worth the effort to pursue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged since I cannot shoot bows and buddy wants me to come to where he is to hunt deer yet for a crossbow I need something to pull the bow back cause I fucked up my arm so need ideas on automated things to cock the crossbow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yarael:
Tagged since I cannot shoot bows and buddy wants me to come to where he is to hunt deer yet for a crossbow I need something to pull the bow back cause I fucked up my arm so need ideas on automated things to cock the crossbow.
View Quote
Ten Point makes crossbows with a built in crank to cock the bow. I have one, works very well.

JPK
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a center point sniper 370. It retails for around $250.

The included rope cocker makes it's 185lb draw easy and when adjusted correctly limits the need to use your shoulders much. 

There are other crossbows that use a crank style of cocker but I have never used one. 
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
I have a center point sniper 370. It retails for around $250.

The included rope cocker makes it's 185lb draw easy and when adjusted correctly limits the need to use your shoulders much. 

There are other crossbows that use a crank style of cocker but I have never used one. 
View Quote
Got one also.  Works great and I even let the neighbor ladies shoot it in my backyard during pool parties.  Some of them are remarkably good shots.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Barnett and Ten Point are both good brands.

Barnett has a 420 FPS bow out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't get caught up in the speed game.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lostintejas] [#7]
Originally Posted By BLITZ999:
Don't get caught up in the speed game.  
View Quote
Yea, that is easy to do. It is the same with the traditional compounds as well, especially in competition.
Weight, speed, stealth, and the ability to even use the thing is what's for dinner.
The ones we messed with were 175+ draw weights, and a 40 lb standard compound would shoot a heavier arrow quite a bit faster with much more authority. THEN.
How do they perform now is the big question.

Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure on yhe $250, but my dad has a barnett quad 400 that is a pretty good shooter. He got it used for around $250. I have an excalibur matrix 355 an that thing shoots like a laser (which it should $$$$). If it wasn't a gift I wouldn't have bought it. I would have probably gotten a barnett, better bang for your buck, but not as nice as the excalibur.  We both just use the rope cocking aids. It makes the 240lb draw weight nice. You might have to look at the crank cocking devices out there and the crossbows that they work with.  The crank cocking things look $$$ the last i saw.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lostintejas:

Yea, that is easy to do. It is the same with the traditional compounds as well, especially in competition.
Weight, speed, stealth, and the ability to even use the thing is what's for dinner.
The ones we messed with were 175+ draw weights, and a 40 lb standard compound would shoot a heavier arrow quite a bit faster with much more authority. THEN.
How do they perform now is the big question.

Keep it coming.
View Quote
Modern crossbows shoot a good bit harder than a modern compound.  Not that I would intentionally shoot for the shoulder but I have hit a couple and they go through to the vitals which is something most compound will not do.  To me the biggest thing with a crossbow is the weight.  Any modern crossbow from 300 fps up will kill deer to 40 yards but I want as light and narrow a crossbow as possible.  250 is a little low for most crossbows.  I would save a little more and look for something in the 400 range.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
As I'm getting older too, 3 years ago I switched to a crossbow. I didn't want something I needed to fuss with and adjust cams and need a special press if I want to work on it, so I went with an Excalibur Matrix. Got the C2 crank to cock it with and couldn't be happier! Being a recurve, it is a little wider but that is the only drawback. It is rugged, durable, don't have to take it back to a bow shop for anything, and I can change the string myself in 5 minutes if I need to. And most important, it is consistently VERY accurate!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Sniper also.  Its very accurate and easy to shoot.  Check, I break it out at pool parties for the neighborhood wives and kids to play with.  You would really need to screw up not to hit a 12 x 12 bolt target at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd suggest you visit crossbownation.com  There are various forums where you can get detailed information about everything related to crossbows.  Dave at wyverncreations is a great guy to discuss this issue with and his prices are good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top