Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2023 10:00:38 AM EDT
I have been applying for archery quota hunts here in Florida the last couple years. I lucked out and drew a tag this year. Big problem, I have never shot a bow in my life....

I go out and head to my local outfitter. I shoot a ton of different bows and make a purchase. Outfitter works with me on a couple occasions and I get comfortable with the bow. I practice shooting from my stand on my property and I am feeling confident.

Yesterday morning was opening day for this quota hunt that runs for 5 days. I wake up at 4am and head out. I am in my stand well before sunrise and feeling pretty good. Just being out in the woods for the first time since last season feels amazing.

I go to nock an arrow and in the process of removing one, I hit my bow string with the broad head. It didn't cut it all the way through, but enough that I felt like I was holding onto a time bomb.

Attachment Attached File

I hang out in the stand for a couple hours to just soak in the feeling of being out there while also waiting for the outfitter to open.

Upon my arrival there was a collective gasp when they saw my bow. They had no strings in stock and it will be towards the end of the week when they can get one. They made some calls for me and the fasted they could get one would be Tuesday. My quota expires Wednesday. I told them not to bother and I'll go beg some friends for a bow.

This was a costly lesson for me. Not in the sense of a monetary one, but one of time. Here's to hoping I get drawn next year!
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:07:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#1]
Holy crap man, you're incredibly lucky that whole thing didn't come uncorked right there.

Sucks that you can't get a replacement quicker than that, but it is bow season.

Maybe buy a spare string in the off season and keep it on hand just in case?

I keep spares for everything. Release loop, string, arrows, spare sight (learned that lesson the hard way)

Eta for spelling
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:15:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Outfitter didn't offer to lend you a demo,or trade in? wtf? How much cash you drop on the set up from him?..... jus sayn
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
2 is 1, kerrpnddpares of everything buy the bow in my kit
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Something like that happened to me. My bow delaminated, and they upgraded me for free. I spent 1700 on my setup.

delaminated after 6 shots. Their eyes bugged out of their heads too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Any decent pro-shop should have set you up with a loaner bow for the week, a used one off the rack, the owners bow or something to keep you hunting and make you a loyal customer for life. But then, they should have had a damn string in stock. Our shop would have just made you a string to get you going. None of it is rocket science,  they should either be a bow shop or not.
Good luck OP, hope score this week somehow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RecoilSensitive] [#7]
Ya I would think they would have strings if they sell a lot of those bows.

Don’t feel too bad.  I nicked a string this year all though mine was in July so they were able to get it fixed.  Mine was just on something in garage not a broadhead.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
The bow is an Obsession. It was a line they were getting out of. I didn't pay much for it compared to retail.

They had some demo bows from the range they offered me, but they were pretty open about how they were just range demos and they would deliver less than stellar results for a hunt. They told me to call them back if I couldn't get one from a buddy. I'm honestly not upset with them. Given our local options down here they are the cream of the crop.

I have a friends Matthews bow right now to go back out. Given what I saw on opening day though I am not too sure I am going to head back out this season.

500 quotas were issues, each allows a guest. Only 15 deer were checked in on opening day, including does.

This was my first Florida deer hunt. Apparently folks just drive around in SxS and swamp buggies and look for deer. Once spotted they just stalk them after that. Defiantly nothing like I have experienced before. I don't think I will put in for a quota at this particular WMA anymore. They are one of the only ones in the state that allows off-road vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top