Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2019 7:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Psmith]
My children (10 and 8) have expressed interest in archery and I would like to get them started.

I have the choice among 12, 16, 18, 20, and 22# draw weight for a recurve bow -- which is the most appropriate for a beginner (have shot bows at Fish & Wildlife events, scouts, etc. but that is the limit of experience) ?

Don't be afraid to suggest 12# if that is what is most appropriate -- we can always upgrade later and trade or give bow to friends and family as they age if they will age out of it quickly.

Thanks so much
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 7:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: e-AR] [#1]
Get the Genesis Youth Bow. Both can shoot same bow. 10-20 lbs.  15-30 draw length with no adjustments.  It is a compound, but like a recurve has no let off.  Pretty accurate.  I'm right handed, and can shoot my daughters left handed, and hold about a cantalope group at 40 yards.  Tournaments and school programs available shooting Genesis.Link
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By e-AR:
Get the Genesis Youth Bow. Both can shoot same bow. 10-20 lbs.  15-30 draw length with no adjustments.  It is a compound, but like a recurve has no let off.  Pretty accurate.  I'm right handed, and can shoot my daughters left handed, and hold about a cantalope group at 40 yards.  Tournaments and school programs available shooting Genesis.Link
View Quote
That’s pricey.  I would start with a recurve first.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankDrebin:
Originally Posted By e-AR:
On the other hand, we realized that with a recurve bow we will need to be purchasing new bows as they grow.

It looks like the Genesis will be adjustable, so perhaps less $$$ in the long run?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Start low. It should be fairly easy for them to pull back initially. Children can easily develop hyper extended elbows from holding too much weight in archery. They lock the elbow and then it starts slowly bending the wrong way under tension.
Keep the weight low and it's easier for them to hold proper form over and over and over, which encourages them to keep shooting and develop the right muscles. They shouldn't be struggling after twenty shots after the first week. It might take a few sessions to get used to it and get those muscles in gear. That's why the Genesis is so popular, you can scale up easily.

I'd also look for a good youth coach. Some places are better than others for kids, just like any sport.

Arrows are a catch 22. I'd keep them fairly long so you can trim down as they go up in weight. You aren't trying for super long range precision though, and not using broadheads. As long as you're not way too soft you'll be ok. Just figure on upgrading or at least cutting and doing new tips once a year for a while. Maybe you can pass them to the younger one but maybe not. I'm not super familiar with the NAIS program and what arrows they require but I know they have some sort of rule about it. I'd definitely go that route. They know what they're doing and why reinvent the wheel? Unless you're working with a coach who has specific equipment preferences... That's probably not year one anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#5]
get a Genesis

it will grow with them compared th buying another
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top