Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 4:28:33 PM EDT
So I want to get into archery, both for just shooting and for hunting. I have shot bows before, though I far from experienced. I want a traditional bow because I am looking for honestly put the simplest form of ranged weapon. As I know little about it Im hoping to get some recommendations to go try. I would be going for something in 50lbs range (yes I can draw that and hold it) and for instinctive shooting. Im hoping to be in under $500 for the bow.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#1]
The Samick Sage is a good place to start. Southwest Archery is a company started by the guys who designed the Sage. They have come out with the Spyder, which is a redesigned Sage. That would be another option. The Bear Grizzly makes for a solid place to start as well. Of course the advantage of the 3 piece is the ability to change limbs. There are very few people who can really handle a 50# bow starting out I don't care how young and strong you are. You really want to work on form and technique so you are very consistent every time. I suspect you would be doing yourself a big favor by dropping that by 10#
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I say I can handle it because I have shot 50# bows before, but I would revisit the draw weight by renting a bow at a local range before committing. Also given my profession as a heavy duty truck mechanic, I regularly throw around large amounts of weight in manners that use the smaller stabilizer muscles most people dont use but would be critical to archery. But I will be sure to "double check". Thanks for the ideas too I have been looking at Bear bows, dont know why just felt drawn to them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the classified section of Stick Bow.  I've seen Black Widows from 500-700.  Come visit my club nd make your own bow at the TN Classic held each year.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:54:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbd870] [#4]
When people put Widows up for $500 my willpower gets very weak!  I had a chance to buy a 50# for that price and I barely escaped - if it was 40-45# I would have been hooked!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top