Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 5:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmeriKEN]
A friend just gave me a crossbow, specifically the SA Sports Fever.  This is my first bow.  I know it's not one of those super fast compound crossbows, but is this fast enough to ethically hunt a deer with?  I can find it states up to 240 FPS for arrow speed, but no mention on the weight of the arrow.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Did some research on my own and it seems like this bow will be OK out to 30 yards.  I've ordered some fixed broadheads (wanted mechanical, but not sure if they will properly open at this speed), some new arrows, wax, field tips and I will be picking up a target at Dick's after work today.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
To somewhat qualify my knowledge of the subject matter, I have bowhunted in one form or another for over 50 years and have spent 30+ days every year hunting deer with a crossbow for the last 30 years, and killed well over 100 whitetail deer. I would sight in for 20 yards and shoot until you know the holdover or hold under at 5 yard intervals up to 30 yards. At the bolt speed of 240FPS you're not going to have a very flat trajectory and knowing the distance of any shot presented will be critical. You are incorrect in your statement that and expandable head would be unsatisfactory vs a fixed blade head. Whichever you choose be aware that any broadhead may not fly to the same point of impact as a field point of the same weight. Either buy broadheads that are sold with a practice point or use one of the broadheads you buy to sight in your bow. Do not shoot at a moving deer, it's a low percentage shot even for an experienced hunter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top