Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2020 3:39:37 PM EDT
My 9 year old daughter has taken an interest in archery and I would love to have something else we can do together. She is very right handed but also very left eye dominant. Once I realized this it was much easier to teach her to shoot a rifle left handed. She has shot her Bear Scout toy bow right handed and shows potential, but every time she shoots the first shot goes way wide and I have to remind her about which eye to use but after that she is good to go. I'd like to get her a decent ladies/youth compound to move into. She's very tall for her age at 4'10" so I don't want to get her something too small. Before I do this I want to make sure if I should be leading her into LH or RH shooting. I looks like many good bows can be had for leftys. At her young age is it best to just start LH and call it a day?

Like I said she shoots long guns much more naturally left handed but I figured the strength thing might be more of an issue with archery.  All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Let her shoot left handed, I figured it out on my own when I was young. Never been a problem for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Safety glasses with a black dot on the centre of left lense , this should make her right eye more dominant over time.
Look it up online before you try it, i was given the advice years ago and it worked for me
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My gut tells me to go lefty with her after seeing the difference in her trying to fight it with a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Think of the string as the rear sight. Much easier if your draw hand matches the eye dominance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for doing it based on the eyes not the hands. Archery is a two handed sport, both are fully involved and critical. The eyes decide which side the bow should be on and you just practice till your hands do it correctly. Since she's very new, no real issue. It's only a problem when someone's shot for a few years and tries to switch. THAT take a while to unlearn and relearn. I intentionally shoot lefty now and then just to make it easier for me when I need to demonstrate something for a lefty beginner. I'm lousy at it, but I can demonstrate proper form and make sure a bow is decently sighted in to get started. The hardest part for me these days is the draw cycle. I have trouble doing it with anything approaching my usual poundage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote start her as a lefty if her eyeballs are truly left dominate.  Starting out there is no real difference in the learning curve, trying to change a year or two down the road is whole different matter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
@dj1975232

Any update since this 2 year old zombie thread has been resurrected?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol.  Update.  Started her shooting lefty and didn't look back.  We picked a Diamond Prism and started her out at about 13lbs.  She's now drawing 32lbs @ 22.5" and keeps up with me pretty well on the woods field course at our club.  She is a better listener than most people and once told something usually that's all it takes.  So much so that she routinely points out when I have bad form or start to grip the bow.    She's also received some informal instruction and pointers from some of the coaches at the club as well which has helped.  The only thing I'm having an issue with her is slapping the trigger on the index release.  She does better the couple times I've had her blind bale but as soon as a target is in front of her back to slapping.  

Now my 8 year old son is wanting to start.  He right/right so equipment will be a little easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top