Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2021 6:08:27 PM EDT
I've been trying to get back into archery using a recurve this time.  

I've shot compound a fair bit and hunted with it but it's been several years and I can't even comfortably draw that bow back anymore so I thought it time to delve deeper into more traditional archery.  I've shot recurves a lot but that was bowfishing which is way different than shooting/hunting.  

I'm using a target with a 6.25" yellow center (including the black ring around it) and a 13" red outer ring.  I've set my goal at keeping 12 out 12 arrows in the yellow @ 20 yards before I will even consider hunting with it.  Does that seem reasonable?

I'm finding it extremely difficult to accomplish.  I'm getting better at keeping 12 out of 12 in the red but my goal of all yellow is starting to seem unattainable.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Go get a lesson from a pro shop…sounds like you have no natural ability to shoot better.
Without seeing what you are doing it’s impossible to diagnose your shooting.
At 20’yds that bullseye should be shot out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems reasonable.

Tune the arrows to the bow, grab some judos or blunts and go roving.

Focus and follow through are easier for me when I’m shooting at a spot that grabs my eye.

Hard focus on a spot, back tension to create the release then follow through until the arrow appears on the target.

Attachment Attached File

20yds, 69#@29”
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RGinIdaho:
Seems reasonable.

Tune the arrows to the bow, grab some judos or blunts and go roving.

Focus and follow through are easier for me when I’m shooting at a spot that grabs my eye.

Hard focus on a spot, back tension to create the release then follow through until the arrow appears on the target.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1371/525167CC-DCE0-454B-A783-5A45E3642CA0_jpe-2158612.JPG
20yds, 69#@29”
View Quote

How do you tune the arrows to the bow?  

When I'm shooting well I can put 5-6 in the yellow and the rest close but in the red out of 12 arrows.  My consistency suffers though and part of that may be that my bow is pretty heavy (weight-wise not draw-wise) so after about 3 or 4 rounds of 12 arrows I find it difficult to be as steady as I am early on.  I'm getting stronger but it's a process.  I can't afford a new bow so I just have to build up the strength with time.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Tuning the arrow starts with correct spine. Spine charts can be found online.
Then adjust point weight to fine tune. Arrow length can also be used to fine tune.

I like to shoot bare shafts to see how the arrow behaves in flight. I tune nock up or down first then tail left/right second. Once I like the way the bare shaft flies, I shoot mixed groups with both bare and fletched until they group in the same spot. I’ll tune broadheads, field points and bare shafts to the same group. Once it’s right, a common group at 40yds with all three is possible!

The fatigue you mention is easily avoid when roving/stump shooting. One arrow at your chosen target then walk and find another target. If I’m not happy with the first arrow I’ll send another. I’m teaching my brain to correct my performance on the fly. Mentally keep track of the one shot performance and you’ll know when and at what distance meets your hunting ethic.

I’m overly brief here but plenty  of help can be found on Tradgang.com and the stickbow’s leatherwall.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, thanks.  Basically all I did was go to the bow shop and had them order the arrows they said I needed.  I paid $200 for a dozen Gold Tip Hunter XT's with 125 grain points and feather fletching.  

After reading your response I watched some videos on tuning.  I guess I'm going to have to go back to the bow shop and get some help.  I hate the idea of cutting brand new fletching off new arrows.  Maybe they can help me get it tuned without doing that.

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Great to hear, it is addicting.  A lot of good advice so far.

1.  If you are not on Trad Gang (traditional archery forum), get on there.  Those guys and gals live and breath this stuff.

2.  You didn’t mention your bow poundage.  Honestly, anywhere between 45 and 50 pounds, at your draw length, will kill anything you will probably hunt.  You won’t be wore out after shooting a few rounds either.

3.  Wow, those arrows are expensive.  You can buy some bare shafts and fletch your own.  If you have more than $75 in them, then you didn’t shop right😂

4.  Did I mention Trad Gang.

Good luck, you will get there in no time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 4:27:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tradhntr:
Great to hear, it is addicting.  A lot of good advice so far.

1.  If you are not on Trad Gang (traditional archery forum), get on there.  Those guys and gals live and breath this stuff.

2.  You didn’t mention your bow poundage.  Honestly, anywhere between 45 and 50 pounds, at your draw length, will kill anything you will probably hunt.  You won’t be wore out after shooting a few rounds either.

3.  Wow, those arrows are expensive.  You can buy some bare shafts and fletch your own.  If you have more than $75 in them, then you didn’t shop right😂

4.  Did I mention Trad Gang.

Good luck, you will get there in no time.
View Quote

I joined Trad Gang yesterday after reading the above post.

My bow is a Martin saber 45#, which is probably 5# above where I should be right now but it's all I have.  I looked at getting some new limbs but they cost more than a whole new bow and I don't have the budget for either.  

Yeah, I thought that was really expensive too but since I had been out of archery so long I figured it had gotten significantly more expensive like everything else.  

I don't have fletching jigs and I've never used one but maybe someday I'll have to get one.  My sister and I are both learning to shoot traditional so between the two of us it probably makes more sense to do it ourselves.  She needs to get her arrows refletched soon.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are a paying member of trad gang, you will be able to go into the classifieds.  They buy, sale, and trade there.  You could find a fletching jig really reasonable.

You may even be able to trade your limbs for a lighter set.  Again, they are great people there.

Anyway, it sounds like you are driven.  Good luck and keep shooting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Traditional archery is my main hobby...PM me with any questions. Happy to help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]
tuned strings and arrows.

read all of G Fred Asbell's books.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Practice a lot, but not TOO much.  Some days I'm done with as little as a half-dozen shots.  But I make damn sure to be the best I can with those six.  As already mentioned, using well-tuned arrows makes a huge difference.  Unfortunately it isn't really possible to have a shop "order" the ones they think you'll need.  EVERY shooter/bow combination has completely different needs based on several factors.  Once your technique gets consistent enough you can start tuning based on bare shaft performance.  That's a whole other topic but it really will do wonders for your shooting.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an update for those who find their way here.  After lots and lots of practice and much advice from the folks at TradGang as well as YT videos, I've gotten much better.  If you're learning on your own like I was it's wise to seek guidance from others online.  

Certainly, having someone helping you in person is best but it's definitely possible to get great help online as well.  My best advice to anyone taking up traditional archery is to seek guidance from others who are experienced, take a break when you get frustrated and get back to practicing once you've calmed down.  There's a direct relationship between your skill level and the number of arrows you've shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top