Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
7/19/2020 6:01:21 PM EDT
Just finish building my first pistol,10.5 psa kit. Don't want to be that guy at the range and unfortunately suppressor is not a option. KAK and the flaming pig seem like popular choice. What do ou guys recommend? Does change in muzzle device change the zero of the gun?
7/19/2020 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at the KVP comp.

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm
7/19/2020 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Black River Tactical Covert Comp.  read some very good reviews, swapping out an A2 for it.  It’s not much bigger than an A2, weighs about the same.  I have a 11.5 fsb barrel, didn’t want to negate the short barrel by getting a 3” or bigger comp.
7/19/2020 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History

I have one on my 16incher and it works fine

Just finished a 10.5 and put one on that gun. With luck I will be able to hit the ranger tomorrow, so
this is a tag of sorts


7/19/2020 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quote History

Have several and love them for the purpose.

Bullpup 308
6.8 and 300blk SBR's
7/19/2020 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The BRT Covert Comp most closely resembles an A2, and it's shorter than the Kaw Valley.
7/19/2020 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used a Levang, Kaw Valley and BRT. The KV sits on my 10.5 and the BRT on my 11.5. They all work well, I might mention though the BRT does a decent job on taming the fireball a bit. My buddy tried the BRT on his 7.5 pistol, it actually did better this SLR compact linear comp.
I like the BRT for size as it is not much larger than an A2.
7/19/2020 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Kaw Valley on my 12.5 6.8 and a Noveske Pig on mine and the wifes 5.56 10.5.

Both of them do a pretty good job.The KVP is cheaper than the Noveske too.
7/20/2020 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Another happy BRT owner here. I like it’s size and weight, or really the lack of.
7/20/2020 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I am going to try the Witt Machine SME. Just waiting for it to arrive. I'll give some feedback on sound mitigation and performance once I get it to the range.
7/20/2020 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:
I am going to try the Witt Machine SME. Just waiting for it to arrive. I'll give some feedback on sound mitigation and performance once I get it to the range.
View Quote

yes please.

I just sent them an email asking on some specs, along with how it manages the gases.

the KAK can helps rotate the gases and pushes the bbl up and to the right. I want that gone
7/20/2020 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]
my LeVang works well... perceived noise on par with my DIY flash cans... little re-ignition of volatile gases compared to a flash can... with my 10.3 MK18 I get no shooter noticeable muzzle flash with SMK69s and H322
7/20/2020 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Whats your price range?  Good options above.  I've seen success with THESE COMPS
7/20/2020 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:

I have one on my 16incher and it works fine

Just finished a 10.5 and put one on that gun. With luck I will be able to hit the ranger tomorrow, so
this is a tag of sorts
https://i.imgur.com/Qe8RDLZ.jpg

View Quote

Went to the range and she barks. Works well and not much of a fire ball.
7/20/2020 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for  the suggestion guys, gonna go with kvp
7/20/2020 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted: yes please. I just sent them an email asking on some specs, along with how it manages the gases.
View Quote


From Witt...

-Does one perform better than the other? They both perform identically
-Are they different diameters? The Slim is 1 1/8th diameter, the Lightweight is 1 1/2 in diameter
-Are they different lengths? The lengths are the same though they didn't answer how long they are..
-How much lighter is the lightweight than the slimline? The Lightweight is about four ounces lighter.


7/21/2020 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just finish building my first pistol,10.5 psa kit. Don't want to be that guy at the range and unfortunately suppressor is not a option. KAK and the flaming pig seem like popular choice. What do ou guys recommend? Does change in muzzle device change the zero of the gun?
View Quote


Why don't you start by describing what you want the muzzle device to accomplish, that way we can recommend the most effective device to achieve that goal?

Hint: it's probably NOT a linear compensator.
7/21/2020 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
The Witt Machine SME just arrived for me. Havnt tried it but i was surpised to find that its 4 inches. I expect its going to do a great job though, as this video suggests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUIvTmvzww (assuming your concerned about sound for the shooter, the kvp was recorded at about 152db in a different video and this one at about 132db or so) of course lots of variables come into play on these tests though.
7/21/2020 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Heres a picture of a Witt compared to a KVP for those interested
https://imgur.com/a/WnoL67L
7/21/2020 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#19]
On my new New Frontier AR9 build, I'm probably going with an SLR Hybrid Linear Comp.   https://slrrifleworks.com/synergy-linear-hybrid-comp-5-56-223-1-2x28/
7/21/2020 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The Kaw Valley and other devices mentioned are all nice.  I’ve tried several of them on my pistol builds. What I can say about them is that they are not concussive, like a brake; but that whole thing about throwing the noise down range is BS. It’s still loud and the person standing next to you is still going to hate you, maybe just not as much because only their ears will be hurting, but they won’t feel like they just got punched in the face too.

I went out and tested four muzzle devices that were “linear compensators.” The consensus among bystanders was that they were all still loud and nine did anything for recoil.

If you want flat shooting, gotta live with the bomb going off every time you pull the trigger. A good bang for the buck brake is the Strike Industries J-Comp. Not as concussive as some but it’ll shred your shooting bag if you aren’t careful.

If you want some recoil mitigation with flash suppression, BCM Gunfighter or a Battle Comp. A tad louder than an A2 but do what is advertised.

If you just want something that spits what it can forward, I just use flash cans now. I get them from MASDefense. They’re dirt cheap and they work.

Short barreled guns are loud. The only way to make them less so is with a suppressor and a linear comp isn’t a suppressor.

If you just want to make shooting a shorty less unpleasant, just go with an A2 and save yourself some money.
7/21/2020 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
The Kaw Valley and other devices mentioned are all nice.  I’ve tried several of them on my pistol builds. What I can say about them is that they are not concussive, like a brake; but that whole thing about throwing the noise down range is BS. It’s still loud and the person standing next to you is still going to hate you, maybe just not as much because only their ears will be hurting, but they won’t feel like they just got punched in the face too.

I went out and tested four muzzle devices that were “linear compensators.” The consensus among bystanders was that they were all still loud and nine did anything for recoil.

If you want flat shooting, gotta live with the bomb going off every time you pull the trigger. A good bang for the buck brake is the Strike Industries J-Comp. Not as concussive as some but it’ll shred your shooting bag if you aren’t careful.

If you want some recoil mitigation with flash suppression, BCM Gunfighter or a Battle Comp. A tad louder than an A2 but do what is advertised.

If you just want something that spits what it can forward, I just use flash cans now. I get them from MASDefense. They’re dirt cheap and they work.

Short barreled guns are loud. The only way to make them less so is with a suppressor and a linear comp isn’t a suppressor.

If you just want to make shooting a shorty less unpleasant, just go with an A2 and save yourself some money.
View Quote


Blast to the shooter is the biggest advantage, nobody said they were good for flash suppression or muzzle control.
My 7.5" 5.56 with KX3 is like shooting a 20" rifle with A2, as far as pressure to the shooter.
The KVP isn't quite as effective, but much lighter, shorter, cheaper.
The one on my 11.5" 6.8 certainly helps, as i don't wear earpro when hunting.
7/21/2020 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
f you just want to make shooting a shorty less unpleasant, just go with an A2 and save yourself some money.
View Quote

The reason I switched out the A2 is I have a FSB mounted light and I didn't want to cook it
7/21/2020 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#23]
SAA Dragon's Head.  Inexpensive, works.

$35 - 5.56
https://www.surplusammo.com/products/saa-5-56mm-dragons-head-muzzle-brake-linear-compensator-gen-i.html

$20(sale) - 30 cal
https://www.surplusammo.com/products/saa-30-cal-dragons-head-muzzle-brake-linear-compensator-gen-i.html
7/21/2020 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:The Witt Machine SME just arrived for me.
View Quote


How long did yours take from when you bought it? Mine has been waiting to ship for over a week.
7/21/2020 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
KVP works for me.
7/21/2020 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:


How long did yours take from when you bought it? Mine has been waiting to ship for over a week.
View Quote


took 7 days to ship; ordered it on the 7th.
7/23/2020 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#27]
any updates on the Whit comp?
7/23/2020 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:
any updates on the Whit comp?
View Quote


Still hasn't shipped. I am wondering if that Jerry Miculek YouTube video drove a ton of orders that they are working through.
8/31/2020 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you end up getting it?  I have one on order, but I'm not sure if it's a scam or not.
8/31/2020 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quote History
Quoted:
Did you end up getting it?  I have one on order, but I'm not sure if it's a scam or not.
View Quote



Yes it just came last week. They are really behind due to a huge increase in orders and moving to a new building. I think they were completely shut down last week for the move. I only had a chance to fire 30 rounds on Friday night and was pleased with it. I did notice that it was nicer to shoot than the A2 that was on it. I'll post more details in about a week. I am trying to line up a decibel reader for this weekend to test the A2 vs Just Brake vs Brake with Blast Can.

I have the SME Slimline for 5.56/.223

8/31/2020 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Then I guess I'll be waiting for several months, oh well.  Got the 30 caliber light version on order for a bolt action blackout.  They should really set up at least an auto email saying that they are waaaaay behind.  I bet they are getting a lot of chargebacks, which sucks as a vendor.
9/1/2020 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#32]
If it helps estimate your order, I ordered mine on 7/13 and it shipped on 8/20
9/1/2020 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks!  Are you getting your hands on a dB meter with a fast enough sample rate and high enough maximum to catch and properly quantify the sound of a gunshot?  

This one seems to be a good choice, but it's pricey from what I've heard.  I wish I had a way to monitize it -- I'd pick one up and test everything, but I can't justify ~$3k for curiosity at this point...  
http://www.larsondavis.com/Products/SoundLevelMeters/Model-LXT1QPR

I saw the video on the witt SME, but the measurments were very arbitrary and non-scientific in mic placement.  Who even knows what calibration and equipment they were using...  
9/9/2020 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I got shipment notification from Witt Machine on Sunday, but there's been no movement in the tracking so far.
9/9/2020 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#35]
If your application calls for a compact (A2 sized) solution; the BRT Linear Comp is a good choice.

9/9/2020 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#36]
The tacfireones are good and cheap. Made in the USA too.

Assuming its for 5.56
PM me your shipping info OP, I can send out a spare.




IMO I think that 3/4 prong flash hiders do an awesome job on short barrels. It really mitigates concussion/flash by dispersing gases. I did a few tests at an in door range with several different muzzle devices.

Linear comps are great for out doors, but suck when sound bounces off a wall and comes back at you.
9/9/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks awesome. Very generous of you to offer that to the OP! Nicely done, sir.
9/15/2020 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Quoted:
I got shipment notification from Witt Machine on Sunday, but there's been no movement in the tracking so far.
View Quote


Emails to Witt go unanswered, don't bother trying -- I called them yesterday to see if it had left their facility, and was assured that it had been dropped off at the Fort Garland, CO post office over a week ago.  However, today the tracking number got an origin scan in Childress, TX.  It seems that they are generating labels and then sitting on them for a bit so if you've got one that shows shipped but hasn't moved, a phone call may cause it to shake loose and get it to a post office.  I think a drop-shipment happened in my case from whoever is making these for them.  

I'll post up my impressions when it arrives -- hopefully the product is better than the customer service.
9/15/2020 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:

.. I'll post up my impressions when it arrives -- hopefully the product is better than the customer service.
View Quote


The product is good. I have had mine for a few weeks and am happy with the purchase. I am trying to get a decibel reader to really test it out but haven't been able to lately.

I think they are just overwhelmed and have not been able to handle their explosion in growth well. I spoke to the owner when mine was delayed and he was preparing to move the whole facility that week because they had outgrown the building and were having power problems. Between the firearms rush and the Miculek video, I think they just can't handle the request and don't have a great website to communicate.
9/16/2020 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quote History
Quoted:

The product is good. I have had mine for a few weeks and am happy with the purchase. I am trying to get a decibel reader to really test it out but haven't been able to lately.

View Quote


Have you been brave enough to shoot without earpro?  The claim of hearing safe for the shooter (less than 140 dB with a full power 223) is hard to believe -- that's suppressor territory if I'm not mistaken...

Mine will be used on a 16" barrel 300 blk with tiny charges of pistol powders behind cast bullets -- I'm hoping it directs enough noise downrange for occasional pest control without earpro and no damage.  I'm not expecting it to work so I don't get disappointed, but I'm still hoping!
9/16/2020 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I deer hunt without ear pro, but I'm not blasting away either.
My 11.5" 6.8 with KVP linear comp is definitely not "hearing safe" but it is much less blast-y to the shooter than a flash hider or a bare muzzle 30.06.
9/16/2020 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quote History
Quoted:

Have you been brave enough to shoot without earpro?  The claim of hearing safe for the shooter (less than 140 dB with a full power 223) is hard to believe -- that's suppressor territory if I'm not mistaken...
View Quote


No I am not willing to try that until I get my hands on a decibel meter and test that claim for myself. I should have one to borrow in a few weeks.
9/17/2020 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Quoted:


No I am not willing to try that until I get my hands on a decibel meter and test that claim for myself. I should have one to borrow in a few weeks.
View Quote


Probably a good call.  Let us know what you find.  If it lives up to the claims, I'm hoping these devices will be to cans as the brace is to the stock and will proliferate.
9/17/2020 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]
SLR



9/21/2020 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Just got my SME.  They sent black when I ordered FDE, so I sent them yet another email, but I don't ever expect to get one of the right color since they are next to impossible to get in touch with.  

The Cerakote is uneven and thin.  Overall, I'm impressed with the device in what it could be, but the execution is half-assed and disappointing.  The machining is rough, and the coating looks like it was done hastily.  For a $175 muzzle device, I'd expect that the machining and coating would be flawless.  

We'll see how it performs despite an underwhelming first impression.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor