AR Sponsor
Posted: 1/21/2021 6:59:18 PM EDT
|
I bought a Witt Machine SME 5.56 1/2-28 muzzle device. After shipping delays and US Mail issues, I finally received it and installed it. LINK It installs like any other muzzle device. The part that attaches to the barrel looks like a big brake. The kit comes with a crush washer. The package did not include any instructions for torque or a wrench specifications. I did find that a 15/16" open ended wrench will work or use an adjustable wrench. Since the device doesn't have to be timed I tightened it down by hand and then added between 1/4 and 1/2 turn with the wrench. A 15/16" wrench is a tad loose. Not much, but a metric wrench might be tighter. Once install put the shroud on it and you are ready to shoot! First thing, this is not a suppressor. It takes the noise and sends it forward and works really well. My weapon is a AR Pistol in 5.56 with a 10.3" barrel. When I shot my weapon before it was LOUD even with a flash can or A2 birdcage attached. With the device installed, the gun is fun to shoot again. It is still loud to the shooter. The sound heard by the shooter is reduced by 30 percent (my guess) or so. The concussion that I always felt before when I shot it was gone. The shot now makes a cool echos if shooting around hills . Shooting without hearing protection is not recommended. Now I don't have the fear of causing permanent hearing damage with one shot. My pistol is fast becoming my favorite AR to shoot.To summarize the product works really well. Better then anything else I have ever used. Still need earpro but is very fun and comfortable to shoot. If you do shoot without the shroud be prepared. It is LOUD. Ask me how I know
|
|
Quoted: I bought a Witt Machine SME 5.56 1/2-28 muzzle device. After shipping delays and US Mail issues, I finally received it and installed it. LINK It installs like any other muzzle device. The part that attaches to the barrel looks like a big brake. The kit comes with a crush washer. The package did not include any instructions for torque or a wrench specifications. I did find that a 15/16" open ended wrench will work or use an adjustable wrench. Since the device doesn't have to be timed I tightened it down by hand and then added between 1/4 and 1/2 turn with the wrench. A 15/16" wrench is a tad loose. Not much, but a metric wrench might be tighter. Once install put the shroud on it and you are ready to shoot! First thing, this is not a suppressor. It takes the noise and sends it forward and works really well. My weapon is a AR Pistol in 5.56 with a 10.3" barrel. When I shot my weapon before it was LOUD even with a flash can or A2 birdcage attached. With the device installed, the gun is fun to shoot again. It is still loud to the shooter. The sound heard by the shooter is reduced by 30 percent (my guess) or so. The concussion that I always felt before when I shot it was gone. The shot now makes a cool echos if shooting around hills . Shooting without hearing protection is not recommended. Now I don't have the fear of causing permanent hearing damage with one shot. My pistol is fast becoming my favorite AR to shoot.To summarize the product works really well. Better then anything else I have ever used. Still need earpro but is very fun and comfortable to shoot. If you do shoot without the shroud be prepared. It is LOUD. Ask me how I know ![]() Got a picture of it on the gun? I'm interested in getting one. How much room is there between the break and the shroud? |
|
Quoted: Can anyone compare this to similar devices like the surefire warden or griffin blast shield? I just don't understand why they're marketing this is something different than current available linear comps or shrouds/sleeves? It just looks slightly longer than the others. |
|
Had the Witt SME for a few months got to the range today on a 223 18 inch prairie dog rifle, the back blast was gone noticeably quieter than shooting it with a A2 muzzle break for the shooter all the sound still goes down range. The point of impact was about a foot lower and 4 inches to the right of the previous zero with A2 muzzle break at 100 yards. Accuracy the same still about 1/2 inch with FN barreled upper and timney single stage trigger. Lke it alot, the outer tube does heat up a little, have the Witt with a stainless outer tube, after shooting did use some blue lock tite on the outer tube threads as it did start to come loose. |
AR Sponsor
. Shooting without hearing protection is not recommended. Now I don't have the fear of causing permanent hearing damage with one shot. My pistol is fast becoming my favorite AR to shoot.