Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2023 3:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boatsank]
I was messing around with my old 2008? Frankenstein build last week and noticed rust around the Delta ring. it's been awhile since I last messed with it. I hosed it down with  penetrating oil and let it sit for a week.

I can't get a good pic of the delta ring, but  the rusty oil ooze seems to be from the delta ring spring and the outside of the barrel nut had rust spots. And as you can see in the pics rust colored oil is oozing from the dust cover pin as well. I didn't notice that last week.

Is it time to get a barrel nut wrench and start taking it apart or is there something else that can be done?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
What is that around the brass deflector? I didn't know aluminium rusted?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
View Quote
"Rusty oil ooze" that dripped down from the delta ring during storage?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boatsank] [#3]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:

That ooze is mostly coming from the dust cover pin. I hosed the whole upper and delta ring area down with oil and let it soak for a week.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Pull it apart and clean everything or just replace the parts for about $20. Either way you’re not going to get it all out otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Where/How were you storing it that it got so bad?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boatsank] [#6]
Originally Posted By 11C1P:
View Quote

Been trying to figure that out. I last shot it the summer before last. It's been in the closet since. The other three rifles in there are perfectly fine. I fucked up somewhere but don't know how.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 11C1P:
View Quote

Was in his boat that sank--

If you were out in inclement weather then put up, rust formed. Spraying the parts simply loosened it up, causing it to run. As someone said, replace the small parts or take apart, clean it up and refinish.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:16:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#8]
If that’s the result of being used and stored in a closet, have you thoroughly checked the bore? If it were mine, I would just buy another dust cover assembly and delta ring assembly. Tear it down and replace the rusty parts. It shouldn’t cost you more than $35 and a half hour of time.

ETA: Upon closer inspection of the pics, I only see the runoff and not any actual oxidation. What type of lubricant was on it when you stored it? I ask because some lube will get an almost muddy appearance as it ages. Adding fresh low viscosity lube to that will the give it a dirty water appearance. If that’s the case, you may just need to tear it down and deep clean everything.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Closets have rusted many guns. Many are on exterior walls where the walls stay cool attracting moisture. If the house does not good climate control and air circulation the problem gets worse.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By boatsank:
I was messing around with my old 2008? Frankenstein build last week and noticed rust around the Delta ring. it's been awhile since I last messed with it. I hosed it down with  penetrating oil and let it sit for a week.
https://i.ibb.co/pQYcyw2/IMG-20230312-135417.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/nn2sh7j/IMG-20230312-140113.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/CvLwrcw/IMG-20230312-140800.jpg
I can't get a good pic of the delta ring, but  the rusty oil ooze seems to be from the delta ring spring and the outside of the barrel nut had rust spots. And as you can see in the pics rust colored oil is oozing from the dust cover pin as well. I didn't notice that last week.

Is it time to get a barrel nut wrench and start taking it apart or is there something else that can be done?
View Quote

I think it's time to pull it apart. Because of the way the Barrel Nut, Delta Ring, Weld Spring, and Snap Ring stack up, it's really not feasible to get the oxidation to stop without stripping the gun down to parts. At that point, you probably want to replace vs just cleaning. It's really $10 or $12 in parts. Lube the living shit out of it with something that sticks as you reassemble it. Oil will eventually leach out and is tough to reintroduce because of the way things go together. If the gun isn't shot often, I'd  use good grease. Wipe of anything that you can see AFTER it's reassembled.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 3:25:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#11]
I ran across this somewhere here on arfcom: Eezox. Haven’t tried it yet, but it seems worth a look. Someone, maybe a reviewer, or someone who posted in the thread, mentioned using it successfully on their Remington 870 Express shotgun; they are notorious for their “rust in the box” technology.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#12]
That is the worst-looking AR15 I believe I have seen, including many pictures of military rifles in combat zones. That little hole in the dust cover pin/spring housing is for installing a lubricant there which would have prevented this rust. You might get by without replacing the spring but you should take it apart and inspect it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top