Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2022 7:22:46 PM EDT
I ordered a POF P415 and it has arrived at my LGS. I did stop by to look at it, and from the inspection, it is a beautiful rifle with a build quality that equals my LWRC. I was very surprised at how light it was, and the trigger was as light and clean as any AR I have tried, even at Camp Perry during NRA week. I need to put a gauge on it, because it seems too light.

I will try to pick it up on Monday. I am starting this thread as a place holder for the range report. I will be taking the scope off of the LWRC, a Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm, and using it to check how it shoots. I will be back with pictures.

Happy New Year everybody.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I am very interested to hear your report, as I have been fiddling with the idea of a piston build or rifle purchase.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:59:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: monadh] [#2]
I picked up the rifle on Monday. Initial impressions are it is well made, and the trigger is very nice. I will put a gauge to it and see how nice.

I don't really care for the buttstock. I will replace that soon.

The rail on top is high enough to warrant removing a spacer from an Aimpoint Pro in order to get a solid cheek weld while aiming. I may not get BUIS for it and simply rely on a Primary Arms SLx 3X MicroPrism as the sole tool for aiming. The Pro is only on there until I get the PA.

Moving a PA scope from a LWRC DI to the POF is not workable as the scope sits too high. I may go ahead and use it for a head to head accuracy comparison between the LWRC and the POF. We'll see this next weekend.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool Looking forward to the comparison.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:20:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: monadh] [#4]
I finally got the chance to go to the range today. It was sunny, cold, and very windy, not exactly a good day for see what a new rifle can do in comparison to a known rifle, so I just decided to take the POF and attempt to zero the Primary Arms SLx 3X with the green ACSS reticle. This is the third PA scope I have purchased, and I have been happy with the first two LPVO scopes and like the ACSS reticles.

I have been handling the new PA scope since it came in, and I have to say that all movements are stiff. The glass appears to be pretty good, not as good as the PLx, but good.

It came with multiple mounts, and I fiddled with the two lowest spacers before mounting the scope directly to the base. The POF's rail is just too high to use a spacer.

I zeroed the rifle at 25 yards as well as I could and then moved to the 100 yard line.

I have to say that between the cold, the wind, and my 65 year old eyes, I could not get a solid group, and most looked like this:

And this group came out of nowhere:

I have no idea how I shot this group when most of the others were bad. The more I thought about it, I decided to sit a dry fire for a while. The trigger on the POF is VERY light, and it is lighter than any other AR rifle I have. It may be that I just need to dry fire more before the next range trip.

The sun began to set and I decided to take some slo mo pics to see what the blast was like. I had been suspecting it was pretty bright, and I found out it is.

In this next pic, it appears that some flame is coming out of the gas block as the piston and rod moved back.

If it is, that was unexpected.

It goes without saying there were no malfunctions with any of the Winchester, AE, or Tula 5.56.

I need to go back to the range under better conditions and try again. I expect the LWRC to be the more precise rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, this rifle is a puzzle to me.

I went back to shoot it again, this time using a Nikon M223 3-9X scope.

I shot it at 50 yards to make sure I was at least on the paper, then I moved the targets out to 100, and it was less than successful.

Let me add some framing to what I will say about the POF rifle.

This pic is of my LWRC DI rifle with the PA PLx 1-8X ACSS scope on it.

The two outer shots on the plate were a bracketing of my rounds, which were Winchester white box ammo. The "fire for effect" and zeroing rounds are the 3 in the middle, and the group was about 5/8 inch at 100 yards.

This is the POF shooting the same ammo.

Each one of the diamonds was supposed to have 3 rounds. The outer diamonds were shot using the Nikon scope, the inner one was shot using the PA SLx 3X Micro scope. Except for the center, the groups would have 1-2 rounds near the diamond, and the second and third went off target.

This was shot with the Nikon mounted, ignore the hole at the top. It is from another target where the round dropped out the bottom of it.

I have not shot this poorly with a rifle since I owned a badly made LaRue. My next attempt will be to find a mount that will work with the PA PLx scope and put it on the POF, and then shoot Hornady match ammo. It could be the rifle just does not shoot WWB well. I could be me. I don't know, but I prefer it not be the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
WWB isn’t the best ammo available, but groups should be in the 4”
range or better.

Interested to see what it does with Hornady
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Interested in updates on this.  The P415 Edge is the only piston AR15 I’m interested in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not forgotten about this, but my daughter is getting married and weekends have all of a sudden been taken up with planning sessions and a series of birthdays.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top