Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2023 12:35:00 PM EDT
Hey all, so I am building my dream rifle, it’s been in the works for 5 years over 2 diff considerations (recently went from an 11.5 pistol to a 14.5 block 2 pinned with the atf crap going on). With the new update I have added a law folder, vltor clubbed IMOD, next month i am getting a nightforce 2.5-10x42 in a Badger comm with an offset red dot and I’m putting a sandman s on layaway. I also want to update my sling. I’ve used a Blackhawk delux QD sling for years with the padded bungee and it’s held up well but it’s time for a change. I want to get away from QD and go to HK hook style. Since I’ve been in the market and it’s expensive for a good sling I have done a ton of research and I have narrowed down to 2 options.

The first and my favorite option is the sly tactical sling with 2 hooks. I love the multicam, the 2-1 ability, and the sling just looks like the pinnacle of what a combat/competition carbine sling should and could be.

The fact that it’s an SPR however has made me think it may be beneficial to get something that’s more conducive to long range shooting since that is my end goal. I’ve found the ridge line defense hog leash sling this weekend and it looks really cool. It has the hog leash so you can tether your warbelt into a tripod (which I’m sure I can jimmy rig something like this on my own), but it also has this lil plastic device at the back that can work as an option instead of a shooting bag. Not sure how well it works but it seems very interesting.

Cost isn’t a consideration between the two as they are only 30 or so dollars apart. Does anyone have expertise with either/does anyone have recommendations for something else I haven’t seen. I know all the normal vickers, Viking, magpul, Procter, trex, GBRS, etc slings that all seem to do the same thing really. The sly tactical and the ridge line really seem like the first ones I have found that have broken the mold and made actual add capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 12:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Advanced Gunslinger hit sling, be sure to add the type of rear attachment

Advanced Gunslinger Armament HIT Sling NTOA 2017

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting sling. Reminds me a lot of the McLean DRS sling. I do love shooting in single point, when I go to the range I typically convert my double to single for the ease of movement. My only gripe about these setups is I don’t want to have to do any manipulation before I take a shot. I’d prefer to be able to shoot in either mode, quickly and easily. Also with my rifle filling an SPR type role, I know there are a lot of manipulations you can use the sling for to add to the stability of the platform. It’s why I try to have my sling as far forward as possible, I can cinch the sling down with my left elbow and really pull the weapon into my arms and body to take a longer shot. That doesn’t seem possible with these kinds of slings. But thank you for sharing, I haven’t seen this one yet. Seems like a really good option for a CQC 11.5 type build.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:06:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#3]
Dear God I can't imagine someone thinking of HK hooks as an "upgrade" to QD swivels. I would reconsider. HK hooks are annoyingly loud and clunky. Using quality QDs and sockets and occasional maintenance will fix any issues you currently have with QDs.

Also, using a dedicated shooting sling for shooting support is about as useful as a shooting jacket IMO. They are excellent range toys for range shooting games where they MUST be used to be competitive because of some artificial rules.

I would never take an offhand unsupported shot, where I had the time to sling up with a shooting sling, in real life. Offhand is a defensive, high speed use case in the real world IMO. For ANY precision shot, you are far better off using your environment with bags, your pack, a bipod, or a tripod for precision in field conditions and have a moment to build a stable shooting platform. Slings usually just get in the way for those for me. Also, especially with bungie tension, sling tension adds an extra element of variability to your precision holds IMO.

To me, a DMR is just another AR with better glass and barrel. IMO, it is not suited to being kitted like a heavy sniper rig that you can't effectively shoot offhand. My "DMR" rifles use a Vickers padded sling to help bear the weight. They are not kitted for use with a plate carrier (no short tailed stocks) or like a bolt gun (no full length ARCA rails), but otherwise they are just kitted like any other AR. Just one man's opinion after going full circle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevL:
Dear God I can't imagine someone thinking HK hooks are an upgrade to QD. I would reconsider. HK hooks are annoyingly loud and clunky. Quality QDs and occasional maintenance will fix any issues you have with QDs.
View Quote

^This

If you’re really worried about QDs, get the BFG U-loops instead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:15:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
Magpul RLS.

Sleek as a nylon web sling, but faster to loop. Stability of an M1907. Long enough for parade or patrol carry, though a little short for offhand support. $25.

I'm not very trusting of QD sockets either, but don't HK hook. You'd think there'd be an ADM type lever swivel mount.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#6]
https://www.blueforcegear.com/rapid-emergency-detachment-swivel-red-swivel.html

There is another type secured by a pin. I don't know what its called or who makes it. I found some garbage copies at a store a few years ago but-garbage. Basically pull the pin 1/4" and it releases. You can attach a lanyard to the pin. If someone knows anything can you post it up?
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top