Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
9/8/2025 12:25:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LipschitzWrath][Edited]
Now that QC10 and NFA have closed their doors, PCC lower receiver options are getting more and more limited, particularly if you want a platform that uses anything other than Colt SMG or Glock mags.

Just thought I'd pass along to the hive that I reached out to Matador Arms about if they plan on developing a lower to take Scorpion mags. They responded that they plan to have one available in time for SHOT Show next year!

I have an AR-V and like it but it's direct blowback and has proprietary parts that do not allow mixing and matching uppers and lowers. Matador's MAT-9 seems to be a good balance of features, versatility, and affordability on a roller delayed platform.

Just thought I'd share.
9/8/2025 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By LipschitzWrath:
Now that QC10 and NFA have closed their doors, PCC lower receiver options are getting more and more limited, particularly if you want a platform that uses anything other than Colt SMG or Glock mags.

Just thought I'd pass along to the hive that I reached out to Matador Arms about if they plan on developing a lower to take Scorpion mags. They responded that they plan to have one available in time for SHOT Show next year!

I have an AR-V and like it but it's direct blowback and has proprietary parts that do not allow mixing and matching uppers and lowers. Matador's MAT-9 seems to be a good balance of features, versatility, and affordability on a roller delayed platform.

Just thought I'd share.
View Quote


The way I heard it is they are leaving the consumer/retail market, and will be focused on manufacturing.

Joe bobs was a big retailer for them under the Spartan Arms brand.

Hopefully, they don't go away for good.


.

9/17/2025 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
NFA is gone gone.

There's still machines sitting there, but afaik nobody left to operate them.

Matador Scorp lower is 100% coming.
9/17/2025 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Axlnut:
NFA is gone gone.

There's still machines sitting there, but afaik nobody left to operate them.

Matador Scorp lower is 100% coming.
View Quote


NFA as in New Frontier Armory? I'm apparently really out of the loop. What happened?
"That pistol just kept saying, let go of my ears, you don't know what you're doing." - thehellbringer
9/18/2025 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Originally Posted By cccpNyC:


NFA as in New Frontier Armory? I'm apparently really out of the loop. What happened?
View Quote


You can always visit the website and read what they wrote.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/closure-info/




.
Occid Vel Occisus Est !!
9/18/2025 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:


You can always visit the website and read what they wrote.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/closure-info/




.
View Quote


Which really doesn't say anything.

I worked closely with NFA on a bunch of white label products right up until the closure. One day, basically *POOF* - gone.
9/18/2025 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The Warscorp 9 is also an option but is also blowback. I am going to try a Maxim roller delay buffer in mine.
9/22/2025 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Hking:
The Warscorp 9 is also an option but is also blowback. I am going to try a Maxim roller delay buffer in mine.
View Quote


Unless you have a side-charger upper, or are built like a gorilla, you're not going to like the Maxim setup. They're hard enough with a side charging upper, but are unreasonably hard to charge with a standard rear charging handle. If Maxim had a way to duplicate the way an HK works, having initial extraction by way of leverage, they'd have a winner. YMMV
I've actually been here since about 2004 as M90A1, but lost my original login info and can't get any help from the forum administration in getting it back!
9/23/2025 8:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two][Edited] [#8]
Quote History
Originally Posted By hdcharlie:
Unless you have a side-charger upper, or are built like a gorilla, you're not going to like the Maxim setup. They're hard enough with a side charging upper, but are unreasonably hard to charge with a standard rear charging handle. If Maxim had a way to duplicate the way an HK works, having initial extraction by way of leverage, they'd have a winner. YMMV
View Quote

I can attest to this, an RO at the range was testing his new toy (8" AR 9mm w/ the Maxim delay buffer) and said, here try this to compare with your Scorpion and handed me his empty gun with the bolt closed.  I inserted the mag and proceeded  to charge a round.  The force it took to pull that charging handle took me by surprise, it was twice a hard at the initial break free point.

Yeah, it was smoother than my direct blow back Scorpion and the muzzle did not move around as much, seemed quicker on the follow up shot.
9/23/2025 8:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hking][Edited] [#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By hdcharlie:


Unless you have a side-charger upper, or are built like a gorilla, you're not going to like the Maxim setup. They're hard enough with a side charging upper, but are unreasonably hard to charge with a standard rear charging handle. If Maxim had a way to duplicate the way an HK works, having initial extraction by way of leverage, they'd have a winner. YMMV
View Quote


The warscorp9 is side charging

Attached File


It also has ambi push button mag releases, a paddle mag release, and ambi bolt hold open and bolt release, very handy.
9/23/2025 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't the WARSCORP9 blowback and the upper, lower, and bolt all proprietary?

The roller delay of the Matador is obviously the biggest draw. That said, the fact that the receivers are interchangeable with other AR9 parts will definitely appeal to some.

Thats why I mentioned QC10 and NFA closing. To my knowledge, Matador will be the only game in town with a Scorpion lower the is compatible with standard AR9 parts. Which, now that I think of it, maybe isn't as cool as I thought because the Matador lower doesn't accept a buffer tube so you pretty much have to use their upper.

I also feel like Matador's prices are very fair for what you get.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor