BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By okboom:
I used a piece of heat shrink tubing on my brush to make sure it doesn't go in any further than necessary. I don't quite touch the barrel with the shrink tubing. I had tried tape, but the oil makes it fall off to easily.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/yv4me/DSCN2441.jpg

Great suggestion! I didn't do that as I use my brush for other things but hey, brushes don't cost that much. I will pick up an extra and do this.

I love it when people put their heads together and share ideas!
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I just put my cmmg upper together. 2 rounds are about all i could get thru it without jammimg. i just finished the polish job, should i take 1/2 inch off the spring while i have it apart? i'm not planning on shooting sub sonic in it. thanks for the write up!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't cut the spring. Cutting the spring is just covering up another problem. Do the chamber and the feed ramp and then try various ammo in the rifle. The CMMG should work OK with the factory spring unless the rifle has some issue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 4:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I had never done this before (I didn't quite understand what and why).

Yesterday, sighting in my new scope, I was getting bizarre jams about every 5 rounds.  Sometimes a round wouldn't feed.  Other times a case wouldn't eject clean.

I cleaned the crap out of it and properly flashed the chamber (great idea with the shrink wrap, copied it!) will report back.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What has been your experience with Remington Golden Bullet?
Z
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry not to respond sooner, I was out of town for the  past week.

As for the Remington bullets, they have not been reliable. There are feeding issues and some report them to be very dirty. I know a couple of the rifle makers (like Tactical Solutions) flat tell you not to use them. I recall having some and the bullets were loose in the case and would bend very easily causing jams and failure to feeds. Others say they use them without issue. I guess it all depends on what you are using them in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
More recently I've been having some issues with my first CMMG .22LR upper (Has well over 10k rounds down the pipe, probably closer to over 20-25k)...

I.E., Click (no bang), Immediately yank back on the CH and look inside... Every time I would see that the round was sticking out ~halfway. Of the two times I checked, the rounds did not look like they had been stuck by the firing pin and appeared to have no real defects.

Anyway, I buzzed chamber the other day for the first time (I had hoped it would solve this issue); and, while it helped... It's not 100%.

I'm going to clean it out again, buzz the chamber, and polish the feed ramp again and see what happens next time I'm able to go shooting...

I'll admit, my issues only started to pop up after I got a little lazy about maintenance (i.e., cleaning every ~500rnds or after finishing off every box of Federal Bulk)... But ever since I've been having a hard time keeping it going 100%.

I'll have to keep everyone posted, With the round count's I've done with these uppers and previously my only issues were 3 jams (excluding magazine issues) within the first couple mags of getting the uppers.....  I'm just surprised.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
What brand polish are you guys using? I went to wal mart and only found mothers chrome polish for wheels. And aluminium polish in the auto section.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 3s1k:
What brand polish are you guys using? I went to wal mart and only found mothers chrome polish for wheels. And aluminium polish in the auto section.

Some use that polish to do the job and report good results. I use some stuff I got at Tractor Supply or Sears. I will have to dig it out and see what brand it is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
We got 1 sears in my state and they didn't have any. I'll try a place AIH and see if they have any once you dig up the brand. Its an industrial hardware store.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: okboom] [#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Great stuff
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Sweet write up. Now how about a youtube video????
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm only doing the shrink wrapped brush / rod - cordless drill method, and if I do this once every 1100 rounds or so it seems to keep the gun functioning properly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 11:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dr427] [#15]
Originally Posted By shadowcop:
I use Mothers Mag Polish on a .22 bore swab.

I know this post is 7 months old, but I greatly appreciate it!  My CMMG dedicated upper ran 100% with no FTF or FTE the first time out, but I will probably polish the feed ramp just for good measure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tvfreakarms:

Good idea...if only I had  more time!  Maybe one day this winter when its snowing out.....

I just spent six weeks away from home as part of the engineering crew on the LST-325 as we cruised down the river and saw 44,000 guests. Now I am off on yet another trip. Oh, and I have a new custom upper being built to do some testing with......it  never ends!!

But I love working with firearms. Its a life-long hobby that always has something new.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By forever4:

Originally Posted By tvfreakarms:

Good idea...if only I had  more time!  Maybe one day this winter when its snowing out.....

I just spent six weeks away from home as part of the engineering crew on the LST-325 as we cruised down the river and saw 44,000 guests. Now I am off on yet another trip. Oh, and I have a new custom upper being built to do some testing with......it  never ends!!

But I love working with firearms. Its a life-long hobby that always has something new.

I went through Memphis about 0200 Sunday morning Oct 02, (almost 3 weeks ago).

That wasn't you guys tied up on the waterfront under one of the bridges on the Tennessee side, was it?

Just wondering.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Not in Tenn. We went up the Illinois past Peoria, made some stops up and down that river, then back up the Ohio up close to Cincinnati (Aurora, IN). back to Louisville then back home to Evansville, IN. We may be down in Tenn however at some future date.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By slushpup:
glad i came across this thread. i'm gonna polish up my TacSol Upper.

every once in a while i get a jam. does it look familiar to anyone? what was your fix?

see pics below:

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo296/hotpistol/chamber2.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo296/hotpistol/shell1.jpg

slushpup

My TS  LT upper does the exact same thing. I has been back to TS once already with no significant improvement.  I will now have to Buzz and polish myself.  It would be really cool if it would work for me.  My upper has been a disapointment, considering it's price.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Not in Tenn. We went up the Illinois past Peoria, made some stops up and down that river, then back up the Ohio up close to Cincinnati (Aurora, IN). back to Louisville then back home to Evansville, IN. We may be down in Tenn however at some future date.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]
i have a dedicated .22 upper and have put about 1500 rounds threw it, cleaned it after every range trip, but the last trip to the range everything that was just talked about, happened to me. i was very confused to why, but i am going to give this a shot and see what happens! thanks for the tips! i will up date after i have tried it.

- eddie
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#22]
This is a great thread. Kudo's to forever4 for the article - well done Sir!

I have a new CMMG upper sitting here awaiting my lower receiver to return from the anodizer. It has not loaded a single round yet other than the ones test fired at CMMG. So I was sitting here bored yesterday looking over my conversion unit and thinking about polishing it up as discussed here. That's when I noticed the "lump".....

Just a tiny bit of metal that was rolled over the edge from the machining process, but enough that it acted like a "speed bump" in a parking lot when the bolt slid over it. You can also see some minor machining marks on the top surface of the ejector tab on the left hand rail. There were a few microscopic burrs there and on some corner edges of the rails as well. Certainly nothing that would keep the unit from functioning. But after scraping off the lump, stoning down any burrs present, and polishing up the works to a high shine - the bolt now glides on the rails slick as a whistle.  

Oh yeah... props to okboom for the shrink tubing depth indicator trick too. Very good idea!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a new shooter to .22 LR conversion/dedicated units for the AR family of guns.  However, having one built and using it now for a few weeks, I've discovered a cause for FTF that I’ve been unable to see mentioned in this thread or others.

It appears my Ciener unit (on an upper assembled by Accuracy Speaks, Mesa AZ as a dedicated .22 LR AR) is jamming due to the firing pin failing to retract fully.  The rim of the round is not getting seated onto the bolt face by the impediment of the firing pin.  The Firing Pin is not retracting by spring pressure and feels “sticky”.  This malfunction occurs only when attempting to load the first round from a magazine.

I've ruled out magazines as a problem by using all three of my fitted "tuned" Ciner 10 rounders, three Black Dog 25 rounders, and a 50 round drum.  Same FTF malfunction with all seven magazines.

I think, given my limited experience and training, that cleaning the firing pin and its channel in the bolt would fix this problem.  May also be a case of a bad firing pin spring.

So…for those with more knowledge and real world experience with this than I…please advise accordingly.

Some immediate questions I have are:

-Proper way to disassemble the bolt to gain access to the firing pin channel and the firing pin? (pictures please)
-Source for a replacement firing pin spring? Or a better firing pin.  Ciener parts appeared a bit rough in finish…but they work, so far.
-Schematic for the Ciener unit?

This maybe a topic for a new thread on “improving” the firing pin to make a .22 unit runs better…or just branching off the main trunk (topic) of buzzing the chamber.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bob
Lakewood, WA

And by the way.  This malfunction started after about 300 rounds of ammo testing with various ammo using a suppressor fired semi-wet.  Lots of crude got blown back into the receiver area.  Koil oil the hell out of the bolt, cleaned everything up, but the firing pin still sticks and the malfuncti
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
BDM ( black dog machine) sells heat treated  replacement parts
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Can CMMG parts be used on Ceiner units?  Same question regarding the parts made by Black Dog Machining.  Anyone with an interchangeability matrix?
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mososodbob:
Can CMMG parts be used on Ceiner units?  Same question regarding the parts made by Black Dog Machining.  Anyone with an interchangeability matrix?

I sold off my .22 conversions a couple of years ago when I went with dedicated uppers. I have both CMMG and Tac Sol uppers. I did keep parts for a CMMG conversion, but that is all. So, sadly I can not give you accurate information on anything other than the CMMG and the Tac Sol.

Now, I can tell you its a pretty simple matter to pull the firing pin out and do a clean and polish on it. Fact is that is a pretty common job needed on other firearms. It doesn't take much dirt or a rough surface in there to affect the reliability of the firing mechanism.  If you look at your bolt there is a pin that pushes through and holds in the firing pin. With a small punch you can tap that pin out and remove the firing pin. If you need a picture I don't have one but I do have a bolt that is very similar and can send you a picture to show you the pin.

Someone here probably has pictures or even video of doing this. Its a pretty simple and straightforward operation. On the new CMMG's you just pull a cotter pin out, just like a 5.56 bolt and pop out the firing pin. The older design is very similar but you will have to tap out the pin holding it in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Problem fixed for now...sort out the disassembly procedure of the firing pin.  Noted the spring was a bit "crushed".  I did a light polish and a good cleaning of the pin...will see how long it will last befor needing to clean it again.  Appears some of the CMMG parts are inter-changeable.  Just holding off buying a $1 part and havng to pay $6-10 fpr shipping.

Thaks for the inputs.

Bob
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:24:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#28]
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Bump to untack/toggle archive status.  

Damn.  Just after I bought a dedicated ArmaLite .22LR upper and subscribed to this thread.  Guess I'll just have to bookmark it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Outstanding info!  Thanks much!
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 2:54:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Zondfive:
What has been your experience with Remington Golden Bullet?
Z

This is what I run in my .22's. I tested and every worked with it and I bought a bunch several years ago before the prices started to climb.  I got my CMMG about 2 weeks ago and have run the same golden bullet ammo through it.  No issues.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I just wanted to add a +1 to the thanks for this thread.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for this write up....had all kinds of feeding trouble with my V22 after +200 rnds session on the range.

Yesterday I tried feeding rounds from a new BDM magazine I bought, instant jam on feeding. Buzzed the the chamber and polished the feedramp a bit. Quess what, round went in smoothly...

Can't wait for some range time again..
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#35]
You know, this works for ANY firearm, not just the .22's. With the rising labor costs in industry gun makers had to cut back on hand-work. As a result some little details got left out, precise hand finishing of parts being one big one. Its really amazing what a little "fluff and buff" can do for the average firearm.

Glad this helped!
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Just got my 22LR upper, thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:45:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome.  I'm going to look my new CMMG over when it gets here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had my CMMG dedicated ,22 rim fire upper for about 2 yrs now. BEST money i've spent, have had very few FF or FExtract. But, this polishing idea is a great idea. I use a liquid metal polish called mojo, its great just for doing things like this. I've tried to talk a guy i know into getting  a CMMG dedicated .22 upper for his AR  to no avail. Now, the prices seem to have been going up, but, its still a great thing to have. Thanks for posting the tips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad I found this thread.  I just built two 22AR pistols, one runs pretty good and the other has run 500 painful rounds.  Jambs, stovepipes, double and triple fires.  Tried all the different ammo I had to no avail installed the Taccom plug.  No help.  Followed the steps here and the trouble maker runs like a champ.  I will do the same to the other and hope for the same results.  Thanks for the great sticky.....
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ss409cid:
Glad I found this thread.  I just built two 22AR pistols, one runs pretty good and the other has run 500 painful rounds.  Jambs, stovepipes, double and triple fires.  Tried all the different ammo I had to no avail installed the Taccom plug.  No help.  Followed the steps here and the trouble maker runs like a champ.  I will do the same to the other and hope for the same results.  Thanks for the great sticky.....
View Quote

Glad people are still getting helped by this. We had some pretty bad experiences early on until we got wise and started polishing these things up.  

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a JP and DMPS .22 uppers and to be honest they never have FTE or FTF's
I've polished the feed ramps as I do on all my firearms but thats it
Nordic made uppers are the best
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Glad people are still getting helped by this. We had some pretty bad experiences early on until we got wise and started polishing these things up.  

Enjoy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ss409cid:

Enjoy!

John, it was this thread you posted in the "way back when" that helped
me transition from centerfire AR's to the new to me world of the AR22.
While I was intimately familiar with the USAF Adapter, dedicated AR22's
were new and getting mine to run was a pain.  That is, until you posted
this thread and Dave South and Dave North also lent a hand.

I'm grateful for the help.
Ted
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Ted:

You have been a big part of this forum for a long time.  The strength of any group lies in its members and how they can pool their knowledge and experiences for the good of all. You have a vast knowledge base on many things technical and I have learned from you. Dave and Dave spent a lot of time in the field and added a great deal to this resource. There are many other sites that also have some great resources.

I love the internet!
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Great write up! I recently built a 4.5in CMMG upper using an existing 22 kit with new collar.

Have massive problems not feeding more than 2-3 at any given time.

Followed directions using a product I got a Wally World, Blue Magic. I used a Dremel and polishing pad that came with it. Worked nice other than throwing the compound everywhere. Got her nice and shiny.

Won't get to test for a week or so but I can't wait. Thanks again!!!!

Craig
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Great thread OP! You mention a CMMG forum in the op.
"CMMG says run the brush until its warm on their forum"

Does that forum still exist somewhere? My google foo isn't working.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By GrimEReaper:
Great thread OP! You mention a CMMG forum in the op.
"CMMG says run the brush until its warm on their forum"

Does that forum still exist somewhere? My google foo isn't working.
View Quote

I think they are talking about the CMMG section under the industry tab her on AR15.com.   If not someone else might chime in.  Regardless there is a lot of info in the CMMG section.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/145_CMMG-Inc.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:

I think they are talking about the CMMG section under the industry tab her on AR15.com.   If not someone else might chime in.  Regardless there is a lot of info in the CMMG section.

View Quote

Click Me!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

Click Me!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By craig24680:
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:

Click Me!

I found it. Thanks all!
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top