Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R0N:

In Marine tests done in 2002 95 of the failure were magazine induced and 76 were failures to extract, the failure to extract problem in M4 of the period was caused by Colt using the same extractor spring and spring buffer for the M4 and A4 (since corrected).  There was also a bad lot of Okay Brand Magazines that had a bias in the follower that often cause failures to feed off the left feed lip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:
Originally Posted By Blain:
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Yeah, it would be interesting to see if Colt bolts hold up longer than the others.  

Blain, did you see how he said he 20"er's didn't lose any parts?  If I'm reading that correctly......  I guess it's not significant if it's just because the round count is a lot lower.   But it's something to consider.  The whole "how much is a carbine harder on the bolt/bcg" question.  I doubt I'd ever shoot enough for it to matter though.

Excellent thread and it was very nice of the OP to take his time to share his knowledge.  Thank you.

Yes, I sure did.  I have heard similar things from the crowd at the retro and A2 forums too.  Bolts that have 30k+ rounds on them, action springs that have never needed to be replaced after thousands of rounds, barrels with almost all the rifling worn out that still shoots combat accurate groups, etc.  

The military found the same with their tests, with the M16A4 having something like 1/3rd the stoppages of the M4.

According to briefing documents obtained by Gannett’s Army Times magazine:

“USMC officials said the M4 malfunctioned three times more often than the M16A4 during an assessment conducted in late summer 2002 for Marine Corps Systems Command at Quantico, VA. Malfunctions were broken down into several categories, including “magazine,” “failure to chamber,” “failure to fire,” “failure to extract” and “worn or broken part,” according to the briefing documents. During the comparison, the M4 failed 186 times across those categories over the course of 69,000 rounds fired. The M16A4 failed 61 times during the testing.

The Army conducted a more recent reliability test between October 2005 and April 2006, which included 10 new M16s and 10 new M4s… On average, the new M16s and M4s fired approximately 5,000 rounds between stoppages, according to an Army official who asked that his name not be released.”

At a third the stoppages of the M4 carbine on average, that would put the full size 20" AR right up there in reliability with the piston driven alternatives that the Army was testing a few years back.
http://www.murdoconline.net/2007/dust_test_graph-thumb.jpg

In Marine tests done in 2002 95 of the failure were magazine induced and 76 were failures to extract, the failure to extract problem in M4 of the period was caused by Colt using the same extractor spring and spring buffer for the M4 and A4 (since corrected).  There was also a bad lot of Okay Brand Magazines that had a bias in the follower that often cause failures to feed off the left feed lip.

Interesting information R0N.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

Just messaged one of the RSO's and he said that we have not lost any of the RIS rails.

I was going to start another thread regarding optics but the optics forum doesn't get much traffic.Should I just discuss it here in the AR Forums since all of our AR/M4's have optics??? Let me know what you guys think.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Another aspect of the AR/M4 platform that we have managed to break are some quad rails. We've used some very cheap Korean-made quad rails that continue to work and we've had very expensive free-float quad rails from two premier mfg's fail. The construction of the Korean units are heavy, screwed together with six machine screws and they work. The other brands are very lightweight, expensive and still my personal favorites but the welds and areas around the barrel nut have cracked.

Our customers hold on for dear life most of the time so there is a force pushing forward and down (vertical foregrip) and the stock is locked against their pectoral muscle/chest plate along with their upper arm exerting a downward force almost in a "bending" fashion. Nobody was too surprised about the free float rails cracking because of the way customers hold on so tight.

ETA: The old-school GI-issue KAC rails continue to do the job.

V/R
Ron

Ever tried (or had any issues) with the DD RIS II rails? Reason I ask is they're the current .mil contract rail for the SOPMOD kit (so being used on all the SOF guns) and for a lot of us they're our favorite rail. Since they're produced specifically for a mil contract (like the KAC rails) instead of being produced to be "lightweight" for the consumer market, curious how they'd stand up to your environment.

Just messaged one of the RSO's and he said that we have not lost any of the RIS rails.

I was going to start another thread regarding optics but the optics forum doesn't get much traffic.Should I just discuss it here in the AR Forums since all of our AR/M4's have optics??? Let me know what you guys think.

V/R
Ron

Please do this. Please.

You've been a wealth of rare information thus far. Adding optics will be icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#3]
Originally Posted By pointman12:

Please do this. Please.

You've been a wealth of rare information thus far. Adding optics will be icing on the cake.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pointman12:
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Another aspect of the AR/M4 platform that we have managed to break are some quad rails. We've used some very cheap Korean-made quad rails that continue to work and we've had very expensive free-float quad rails from two premier mfg's fail. The construction of the Korean units are heavy, screwed together with six machine screws and they work. The other brands are very lightweight, expensive and still my personal favorites but the welds and areas around the barrel nut have cracked.

Our customers hold on for dear life most of the time so there is a force pushing forward and down (vertical foregrip) and the stock is locked against their pectoral muscle/chest plate along with their upper arm exerting a downward force almost in a "bending" fashion. Nobody was too surprised about the free float rails cracking because of the way customers hold on so tight.

ETA: The old-school GI-issue KAC rails continue to do the job.

V/R
Ron

Ever tried (or had any issues) with the DD RIS II rails? Reason I ask is they're the current .mil contract rail for the SOPMOD kit (so being used on all the SOF guns) and for a lot of us they're our favorite rail. Since they're produced specifically for a mil contract (like the KAC rails) instead of being produced to be "lightweight" for the consumer market, curious how they'd stand up to your environment.

V/R
Ron

Please do this. Please.

But please don't skip the questions before the ignorant and immature tirade.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I would rather you start an optic thread in the optics forum, it will keep alot of the trolls away.  The people that go to more specialized forums are usually seeking info and knowledge which is what you are providing.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By nchapa:
I would rather you start an optic thread in the optics forum, it will keep alot of the trolls away.  The people that go to more specialized forums are usually seeking info and knowledge which is what you are providing.

Thanks
View Quote

I fully agree.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By zackmars:

Well, no more federal for me
View Quote

Uh, while it certainly sucks for Henderson.....where do you think that Federal Ammo then goes if not delivered to Henderson? It goes to market to feed demand from people who might not otherwise have any chance to buy it, albeit at higher prices......Not the WORST thing in the world from a CONSUMER stand point.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still trying to get up to speed with the things that went on between Sunday and Tuesday so I will update the posts with more answers.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Will:

Uh, while it certainly sucks for Henderson.....where do you think that Federal Ammo then goes if not delivered to Henderson? It goes to market to feed demand from people who might not otherwise have any chance to buy it, albeit at higher prices......Not the WORST thing in the world from a CONSUMER stand point.
View All Quotes

Canceling previously held orders is a very low thing to do.

Simple as that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Simple as that.
View All Quotes

Simple as that.

I don't disagree at all, but the fact is that ammo, admittedly a HUGE quantity, is then available for purchase during times of scarcity. From a MARKET and purely CONSUMER perspective, that's not a bad thing.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Great info! Thank you!

You said that the gas tubes wear out after about 12 months.  Can you give us some idea what round count that would be at (e.g. on average) for a particular rifle?  I presume that's all, or nearly all on, FA.

There are precious few resources for information gleaned from that volume of fire. Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]

I don't disagree at all, but the fact is that ammo, admittedly a HUGE quantity, is then available for purchase during times of scarcity. From a MARKET and purely CONSUMER perspective, that's not a bad thing.....
View All Quotes

Simple as that.

thats all fine and dandy, but i don't like supporting business that have dishonest practices, even if the end result benefits me

Last reply as to not hi-jack
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By dillehayd:

Great info! Thank you!

You said that the gas tubes wear out after about 12 months. Can you give us some idea what round count that would be at (e.g. on average) for a particular rifle? I presume that's all, or nearly all on, FA.

There are precious few resources for information gleaned from that volume of fire. Thank you for sharing!
View Quote

As a side track on the gas tube issue, have you used any melonited gas tubes?  Spikes has some nice reasonably priced ones that should last longer on full auto.

Do you have any open bolt AR's?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#14]
You mentioned The Gun Store in what seemed to be a good light.   That's where I went a long time ago and shot a Thompson and I thought it seemed like a safe place.  I don't remember any scantily clad women, my wife was with me.  Anyways....  I had a great time there and would recommend it.   That being said, I really really like that you are employing ex servicemen.  Thank you.  

Now if I could just figure out how to transfer my video from VHS-C to digital......  Shooting a Thompson was awesome.    

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

As a side track on the gas tube issue, have you used any melonited gas tubes?  Spikes has some nice reasonably priced ones that should last longer on full auto.

View All Quotes
Great info! Thank you!

You said that the gas tubes wear out after about 12 months. Can you give us some idea what round count that would be at (e.g. on average) for a particular rifle? I presume that's all, or nearly all on, FA.

+1 on more gas tube info. Lately all I've been buying is Colt and BCM tubes, but interested in seeing if the melonited tubes would have a longer life span. In theory I'd think they should, but I'm not positive on the relation of higher surface hardness to ability to withstand more repeated high heat/cooling cycles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
A separate optics thread would be awesome.

I, too, am curious if a melonited gas tube will last longer than a standard gas tube. Also CHF and melonited barrels.

Again, thank you for your time, and sharing your experience with us.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome thread.

Any additional info on piston rifles (not retrofit but built as piston rifles) would be greatly appreciated.  I understand you won't go into names, but info like what failed and how long?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I like your business model.  Hire vets.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]

You couldn't be any further from the truth with your opinion but I will enlighten you about what we do and how we do it.

First, every single day that I am there (and I work six days a week at least 10-12 hours a day) I hear "oh my God.. I had no clue that's what it's really like" or "how did those guys do it during (insert WWII, Korea, Vietnam, OIF, OEF)" and the "wow.. I never wanted to touch a gun in my life but that's the most fun I think I've ever had". The customers DO walk away with an appreciation that THEY have because 90% of our guests don't own a weapon, let alone have ever seen a real, functioning example in person. Their only knowledge of a gun is from a movie where some actor holds two Uzi's or AK's and sprays across the scene killing every bad guy in sight. My staff are allowed to talk ZERO politics with guests and it always puts a smile on my face when I hear "I am from NYC/San Francisco and we just don't like guns but wow... that was SO different than what I thought it was going to be like... can I buy something like this where I live".  

Now, add to the fact that over 90% (actually higher but I don't have the time to do the math) of my staff are either prior service or still in the Guard/Reserves and the respect and appreciation factor just doubled with our guests. Every single one of my RSO's is prior service or Guard/Reserves (as well as all our drivers and my managers) and a majority of them are OIF/OEF combat vets. You can hear their appreciation when they start asking "so ALL of you were in the military.. my gosh, thank you so much for your service (and I would bet 99 out of 100 people have never uttered those words in their life).

As for the making money comment... I don't employ 58 people just to give me something to do, of course it's to make money just like any other business model. It's called capitalism and that's what we do. I don't judge people for their occupations because as long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it, all the power to you.

I deal with GI's everyday that have heavy baggage they brought home with them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody ever says the "PTSD" word because the minute you do, you're a "faggot" or "pussy". Meanwhile, as the employer I see it through their eyes and hear it in their words. I feel that I have a VERY generous policy towards PTO and if things are bugging you, take it. It also means that if you need to change from RSO to driver or driver to armorer, then so be it. It's put us in a bind more than once but since I claim we provide a "military experience", I as the employer, am also working in a "military experience". Everyday isn't sunshine and roses but I wouldn't trade a single one of my staff because they each bring their own "military experience" to work with them and that is what's made us so successful. I could go on and on about my staff because I know each of them by their name and they continue to raise the bar on what I think model employees should be. Quite a few of my guys are still in their twenties and medically retired from injuries they sustained while overseas. It lays heavy on my heart how these young men are so physically and emotionally damaged (IED's, blast injuries, falls, etc) but we adjust OUR schedule around them, not like most standard businesses.

Lastly, there are places like the ones you described here in Vegas. I know for a fact they are in it for the money and it's just an equation of how many customers can they get through the door and how fast can they get them through. They have the "gun girl" RSO's with hot pants, fishnet stockings and low-cut tops and that's 100% fine with me. They are providing a service to customers and they providing jobs. My problem is when they endanger employees and customers with shitty safety practices. We try to avoid hiring staff from other ranges because nobody wants retreads from places with bad practices but occasionally there are some gems among them. I know exactly how many ranges can give two shits about employees and lead hazards, throwing away filters contaminated with lead right into the garbage, writing employees up and firing them for having high lead levels (so OSHA doesn't find out how bad things are) or the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars we spend each month to ensure a safe environment for both my staff and guests. That may seem like a stretch to some of you but trust me, I would rather be spending that kind of money each month on something else but it what it is. It's the cost of doing business and keeping my staff safe.

As for the little girl in Arizona, the day that happened I had SO many of my RSO's come up to me and say, "damn Doc, you're right about those mini subguns". My staff had always asked for them (and the new RSO's as they came on board) but I always told them no little subguns unless we have a front strap for the wrist AND a suppressor. I must give credit to Tony D over at The Gun Store because he's the one that advised me specifically against the micro or mini Uzi's because of the rate of fire and transfer of weight with the heavy bolt causing the weapon to act like a teeter totter. I do have MAC's (.45, 9mm,.380) but again, they have huge and heavy Bower's suppressors to keep them down. Also, my staff has ALWAYS had the discretion to choose if a customer is suited for a particular weapon. If my RSO's don't feel comfortable with the customer and the weapons they chose, they are getting substituted with something can do and I usually refund the customer as well. It's worth the extra ammo so everybody is comfortable.

One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. He initially turned in an application four weeks prior but let one of my managers know that he had used marijuana three weeks prior. My manager told him that we drug test and it wasn't a good idea to submit an application. He did come back in after waiting about three weeks and my manager spotted him submitting the application. He notified me and I told him lets review his application before just tossing it. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. I told my manager to go ahead and interview him on the spot. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.

So, I am 100% at ease with myself, my business practices, my staff and the experiences that I feel our guests truly do appreciate here at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snoopfighter:
Respect for Ron and the fact he has access to high round count weapons.  Maybe he can speak to what I am about to say at a greater length.  

That said, civilians blowing through rounds full auto sickens me.

Everything gun related in Vegas (besides SHOT, which has its nauseating moments) is made to make money.  Not even remotely educate civilians on military grade firearms.  It's basically a "take a picture of me with this gun" and the whole thing lasts under 15 minutes (if even).  

Sad thing is, civs walk away thinking they have an appreciation for the kind of hardward they just used when it is anything but the case.  I don't know Ron's operation and maybe he's one of the few out there that has some ethics behind his business, but most don't.  See 9 year old girl with uzi.

You couldn't be any further from the truth with your opinion but I will enlighten you about what we do and how we do it.

First, every single day that I am there (and I work six days a week at least 10-12 hours a day) I hear "oh my God.. I had no clue that's what it's really like" or "how did those guys do it during (insert WWII, Korea, Vietnam, OIF, OEF)" and the "wow.. I never wanted to touch a gun in my life but that's the most fun I think I've ever had". The customers DO walk away with an appreciation that THEY have because 90% of our guests don't own a weapon, let alone have ever seen a real, functioning example in person. Their only knowledge of a gun is from a movie where some actor holds two Uzi's or AK's and sprays across the scene killing every bad guy in sight. My staff are allowed to talk ZERO politics with guests and it always puts a smile on my face when I hear "I am from NYC/San Francisco and we just don't like guns but wow... that was SO different than what I thought it was going to be like... can I buy something like this where I live".  

Now, add to the fact that over 90% (actually higher but I don't have the time to do the math) of my staff are either prior service or still in the Guard/Reserves and the respect and appreciation factor just doubled with our guests. Every single one of my RSO's is prior service or Guard/Reserves (as well as all our drivers and my managers) and a majority of them are OIF/OEF combat vets. You can hear their appreciation when they start asking "so ALL of you were in the military.. my gosh, thank you so much for your service (and I would bet 99 out of 100 people have never uttered those words in their life).

As for the making money comment... I don't employ 58 people just to give me something to do, of course it's to make money just like any other business model. It's called capitalism and that's what we do. I don't judge people for their occupations because as long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it, all the power to you.

I deal with GI's everyday that have heavy baggage they brought home with them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Nobody ever says the "PTSD" word because the minute you do, you're a "faggot" or "pussy". Meanwhile, as the employer I see it through their eyes and hear it in their words. I feel that I have a VERY generous policy towards PTO and if things are bugging you, take it. It also means that if you need to change from RSO to driver or driver to armorer, then so be it. It's put us in a bind more than once but since I claim we provide a "military experience", I as the employer, am also working in a "military experience". Everyday isn't sunshine and roses but I wouldn't trade a single one of my staff because they each bring their own "military experience" to work with them and that is what's made us so successful. I could go on and on about my staff because I know each of them by their name and they continue to raise the bar on what I think model employees should be. Quite a few of my guys are still in their twenties and medically retired from injuries they sustained while overseas. It lays heavy on my heart how these young men are so physically and emotionally damaged (IED's, blast injuries, falls, etc) but we adjust OUR schedule around them, not like most standard businesses.

Lastly, there are places like the ones you described here in Vegas. I know for a fact they are in it for the money and it's just an equation of how many customers can they get through the door and how fast can they get them through. They have the "gun girl" RSO's with hot pants, fishnet stockings and low-cut tops and that's 100% fine with me. They are providing a service to customers and they providing jobs. My problem is when they endanger employees and customers with shitty safety practices. We try to avoid hiring staff from other ranges because nobody wants retreads from places with bad practices but occasionally there are some gems among them. I know exactly how many ranges can give two shits about employees and lead hazards, throwing away filters contaminated with lead right into the garbage, writing employees up and firing them for having high lead levels (so OSHA doesn't find out how bad things are) or the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars we spend each month to ensure a safe environment for both my staff and guests. That may seem like a stretch to some of you but trust me, I would rather be spending that kind of money each month on something else but it what it is. It's the cost of doing business and keeping my staff safe.

As for the little girl in Arizona, the day that happened I had SO many of my RSO's come up to me and say, "damn Doc, you're right about those mini subguns". My staff had always asked for them (and the new RSO's as they came on board) but I always told them no little subguns unless we have a front strap for the wrist AND a suppressor. I must give credit to Tony D over at The Gun Store because he's the one that advised me specifically against the micro or mini Uzi's because of the rate of fire and transfer of weight with the heavy bolt causing the weapon to act like a teeter totter. I do have MAC's (.45, 9mm,.380) but again, they have huge and heavy Bower's suppressors to keep them down. Also, my staff has ALWAYS had the discretion to choose if a customer is suited for a particular weapon. If my RSO's don't feel comfortable with the customer and the weapons they chose, they are getting substituted with something can do and I usually refund the customer as well. It's worth the extra ammo so everybody is comfortable.

One last word about my staff. I hired a new driver two weeks ago. He initially turned in an application four weeks prior but let one of my managers know that he had used marijuana three weeks prior. My manager told him that we drug test and it wasn't a good idea to submit an application. He did come back in after waiting about three weeks and my manager spotted him submitting the application. He notified me and I told him lets review his application before just tossing it. Everything looked good; infantry E5 who was running and gunning and DD-214 matched up with application. I told my manager to go ahead and interview him on the spot. After all was said and done about his service, he called him out on smoking pot. He admitted that he's had issues adjusting since being home and he was hoping that it would help him relax but instead made him more depressed. He said he heard about a place where it' mostly GI's working together in a military-style environment and he was hoping he would fit in. I told my manager to hire him on the spot and start issuing him uniform, boots and get him out for a whiz quiz and background check ASAP. Two days later he walked up to me and asked if he could talk. I said of course as my staff know that I have an open-door policy for personal matters. He told me that he thinks this is the best thing that's ever happened. He said he's tried to get jobs at other places but when you go from 100 miles per hour to zero it hits you hard. When just a couple months ago when you were shooting people down range and you have your boys with you everyday life gets turned upside down when you can't talk about it with fellow employees who will think you're crazy and going to do something stupid. He looked at me with those same eyes I get from so many of the staff and said thank you for doing this. He said he needed to get back in uniform, he needed to talk to guys who are on his level and have been there, done that and can cope with words that come out of his mouth.

So, I am 100% at ease with myself, my business practices, my staff and the experiences that I feel our guests truly do appreciate here at Battlefield Vegas.

V/R
Ron

Ron, thank you for what you're doing.
I'll definitely check you guys out when I'm in Vegas.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavScout8] [#20]
Excellent thread.

I think the PSA rebranded parts will work as well as the budget-type BCG's you tried using. But, only time will tell as you've said. I've always believed the budget brand BCGs to not be near as good as the higher end ones (even just like BCM, Rainier, LMT, Colt, etc), but that's usually pretty unpopular. Here, lower the price the smarter/thriftier you are.

All good info on what has failed.

With mags, we've had some pmags fail at my work. They seem like a poorer option than I originally thought. Staying loaded to near full capacity all the time without the dust covers taking some load off the feedlips isn't great. Personally I've switched to Lancer L5's, though I still have a lot of USGI's and Pmags. Have you ever tried the L5's? Made by Lancer, polymer, with hardened steel feedlips (if I remember correctly). Very lightweight but very robust, especially the feed lips.

About posting up a new optics thread, please do. If you want to post it in here.... with all the BS that gets posted in the AR15 GD section, I'd sure hope they don't have a problem with it. Up to you, I'll look for it where ever.

Thanks for awesome hiring practices!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Got a question for Ron, im also interested in the replacing gas tube every 12 months, do you do this because erosion or to be on the safe side? Have or will you ever try on of the V7 tubes and see if it lasts longer?

http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-extreme-environment-gas-tube

Just curious if that tube is the truth or a gimmick.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By deuc224:
Got a question for Ron, im also interested in the replacing gas tube every 12 months, do you do this because erosion or to be on the safe side? Have or will you ever try on of the V7 tubes and see if it lasts longer?

http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-extreme-environment-gas-tube

View Quote

WOW!  Im not Ron and Ive been out of the AR loop for a little bit but I know at work (make parts for power plants) when ever high heat erodes 316/317 or titanium, we use inconel.  Its so damn tough and expensive no one wants to deal with it but will try these other metals first just due to expense but inconel is an amazing material.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#23]
Respect for Ron and the fact he has access to high round count weapons.  Maybe he can speak to what I am about to say at a greater length.  

Everything gun related in Vegas (besides SHOT, which has its nauseating moments) is made to make money.  Not even remotely educate civilians on military grade firearms.  It's basically a "take a picture of me with this gun" and the whole thing lasts under 15 minutes (if even).  

Sad thing is, civs walk away thinking they have an appreciation for the kind of hardward they just used when it is anything but the case.  I don't know Ron's operation and maybe he's one of the few out there that has some ethics behind his business, but most don't.  See 9 year old girl with uzi.
View All Quotes

WOW, dude. Really? You sound like a liberal, and I think it's sickening that you're even a member on this site.

THREAD: I use the melonited gas tubes. Spikes tubes shrink for some reason, and start rattling in the gas block.

I know; it's sounds crazy, out there, and impossible. But they were tight like they're supposed to be when installed, and after a couple k rounds they rattle like a rock in a soda can inside the gas blocks. Every gas block I've used them in.

What you end up with is gas escaping around the tube, and depositing carbon on the gas block, tube, and barrel.

Originally Posted By easttexas:
Originally Posted By deuc224:

WOW!  Im not Ron and Ive been out of the AR loop for a little bit but I know at work (make parts for power plants) when ever high heat erodes 316/317 or titanium, we use inconel.  Its so damn tough and expensive no one wants to deal with it but will try these other metals first just due to expense but inconel is an amazing material.

+1 on the Inconel. Super tough material.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#24]

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Wow.

Thank you Ron.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I might have missed it, but have y'all tried any bcgs with the fancy coatings on them (NibX, NP3, ect) or any of the "improved" bcgs, like the new Lantac one?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#26]
What (if any) problems have you had with AR lower receivers? EX: holes for the trigger and hammer pins wearing out with extended full auto use.

Thanks for the great info in this thread. And, I envy you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I understand that you've had a good experience with ordering from Daneil Defense, but how have their rifles helped up? How have they performed?

also, have you used any Primary Weapon System rifles? Are you able to say how they have held up?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cwm1150] [#28]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Do you have any weapons that have been professionally coated in Cerakote? I'm curious how that holds up with significant wear and tear. Doesn't have to be an AR, for example those new Colt M45 1911s are factory Cerakoted. Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:26:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waterglass] [#30]
I noticed you mentioned you've had problems with every piston system you have tried.. I was wondering if you had tried the PWS piston design? It is the simplest piston on the market that I am aware of.

How have Aimpoint products held up for you?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

+1 on more gas tube info. Lately all I've been buying is Colt and BCM tubes, but interested in seeing if the melonited tubes would have a longer life span. In theory I'd think they should, but I'm not positive on the relation of higher surface hardness to ability to withstand more repeated high heat/cooling cycles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Great info! Thank you!

I bought a V7 weapons inconel gas tube for a build i put together. Even though ill never find out how tough it really is, hey, i wanted it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#32]
This is awesome I have been to your range and let me say it's a great time. What do you think of the aimpoint pro? I really want to hear some stuff on optics.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4_Commando] [#33]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
What (if any) problems have you had with AR lower receivers? EX: holes for the trigger and hammer pins wearing out with extended full auto use.

View Quote

Good question but i suspect that its probably not an issue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:

Heads will explode all over arfcom
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#35]
Nevermind - it has been answered.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for starting this thread, very interesting information!

Do you have high roundcount "alternative" ARs such as Robinson XCR, Remington ACR, IWI Tavor, or FN SCAR?  How do they hold up?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:32:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#37]
I apologize for not replying earlier so I will try and provide a bit more insight.

- We don't use steel-cased ammo in our AR15 platforms. We had to use it awhile back after the Sandy Hook incident when ammo was hard to get and we did lose extractors on more-than-average basis.

- Cam path wear is definitely noticeable on the uppers.

- I believe the armorers clean the AR's every 5-7 days.. sooner if needed and if business is good. After every cleaning, the armorers run twenty-five rounds down range and they check to make sure the rounds group somewhat close and they check for good ejection

- We have never used any of the "after market" gas tubes like those that have been coated with Melonite, adjustable systems or "pig tails". I've always tried to use "factory" parts wherever possible to keep things simple. I like the idea of the Melonite gas tube though, I just didn't know something like that was available.

- Regarding gas piston systems, the pistons have snapped (or bent) and even some of the roller cam pins have snapped right off. The only one to last so far has been the HK system.

- We have product-tested some other BCG's that were finished in some sort of Cerokote, Molyresin or other finish.. I just know they weren't parkerized. The carriers themselves held up even without the finish but the bolts themselves didn't last as long as the LMT or DD units.

- The one weapon that I know that has a factory Cerokote that has lasted 100% with ZERO defects is our Barrett M107A1. We've had this weapon for quite some time and it gets it regular cleanings and even though we don't dip the receiver into the ultrasonic cleaner, it still looks pretty close to new.

- I checked with the armorers and we've had to use anti-walk pins in a total of three receivers. Two of the holes were "egged" but it turns out that old primers made their way under the trigger and the increased pressure put stress on the pins. The receiver gave before the pins did so KNS anti-walk pins were installed. We had to use them on an auto-sear pin hole for one of the receivers.

To answer your question Blood_Donor, I would say the most reliable "alternative" is the FN SCAR. That weapon has yet to break or wear out a bolt, brake a hammer, or any other major part. IIRC, we've only lost a charging handle and hammer spring. A stock was broken due to being dropped by staff and our SCAR-L has had three new barrels installed. The SCAR-L has been on the line since day one (it was used prior to that as well) and we opened on 01 OCT 13.

A brief answer to the optics questions... I used to be a Eotech fanboy prior to opening the range but they didn't last long at all. It was always something with the Eotechs.. if the batteries weren't constantly dying, then it just quit working and THEN it was out of warranty. The Aimpoints and ACOG's just work and if they do "break".. we send them back and they are backed by proper warranties.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#38]
A brief answer to the optics questions... I used to be a Eotech fanboy prior to opening the range but they didn't last long at all. It was always something with the Eotechs.. if the batteries weren't constantly dying, then it just quit working and THEN it was out of warranty. The Aimpoints and ACOG's just work and if they do "break".. we send them back and they are backed by proper warranties.
View Quote

Speaking of sig line material...

Yet again, thank you for all of the info you just provided.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#39]

<snip>

V/R
Ron

View All Quotes

<snip>

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#40]

The 20" weapons get used daily but only about a fifth of the time as the shorter barreled units. I'll have to check the maintenance logs but I don't believe we've lost any bolts, carriers or any other major components in one of them.

ETA: the armorers have a yard stick glued to the table with measurements for each weapon system's minimum recoil spring length. They checked on a regular basis and swapped as needed.

As for the vintage rifles, the commercial Springfield Armory op rods have broke several times in the M14's, Garand op rods have worn out and cracked but they were all 40's vintage with who knows how many rounds through them. Lastly, the M2 carbines have lost several Op rods, bolts have cracked as well extractors breaking on a regular basis.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:
I have a question for you, Ron.  How is the barrel and parts wear on full size 20" ARs vs. the carbines?  Do the full size 20" ARs wear out bolts, extractors, buffer springs, barrels, etc at a slower rate than the carbine guns?  If so, how much of a wear difference is there between the two in your experience?  What brand of full size 20" ARs do you rent?

How often to you replace buffer springs on the carbines / full size 20" AR rifles?  Ever consider switching to the chrome silicon SPRINCO springs?  

I saw in your AK thread some pics of Garands, etc in the repair bin.  How well do M1 Garands, M14s, and M1 carbines hold up?

Thanks!

The 20" weapons get used daily but only about a fifth of the time as the shorter barreled units. I'll have to check the maintenance logs but I don't believe we've lost any bolts, carriers or any other major components in one of them.

ETA: the armorers have a yard stick glued to the table with measurements for each weapon system's minimum recoil spring length. They checked on a regular basis and swapped as needed.

As for the vintage rifles, the commercial Springfield Armory op rods have broke several times in the M14's, Garand op rods have worn out and cracked but they were all 40's vintage with who knows how many rounds through them. Lastly, the M2 carbines have lost several Op rods, bolts have cracked as well extractors breaking on a regular basis.

V/R
Ron

Hi Ron.  Any updates on the parts breakage of the 20" ARs?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#41]

To answer your question Blood_Donor, I would say the most reliable "alternative" is the FN SCAR. That weapon has yet to break or wear out a bolt, brake a hammer, or any other major part. IIRC, we've only lost a charging handle and hammer spring. A stock was broken due to being dropped by staff and our SCAR-L has had three new barrels installed. The SCAR-L has been on the line since day one (it was used prior to that as well) and we opened on 01 OCT 13.

View Quote

Oh shit, did Ron just prove over half of Arfcom wrong?

You guys run 308 Battle rifles? AR-10s? FN FALs? G3s?

How do they stack up under high round counts?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#42]
How do you get spare parts for your older guns like mp-40 and other old guns? Also, since you have new shooters there do you use recoil pads and compensators to help with recoil?

Thanks again for all this information!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Fantastic thread...  Any chance of a similar thread on handguns?  Also, looking forward to the optics thread.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cccollin545:
How do you get spare parts for your older guns like mp-40 and other old guns? Also, since you have new shooters there do you use recoil pads and compensators to help with recoil?

View Quote

Getting spare parts for these guns is something that I have to do every single day of the week.. .literally checking 10-15x daily on Gunbroker or other websites with NFA items. I have one gentleman here in Las Vegas that does the gun show circuit in Southern NV, Southern California and Southern Utah and he constantly text me pics of items that he knows I am looking for. I am sure he adds a few points (or more) on everything he finds but knows our collection and constantly surprises me with the things he will find.  

The hardest systems to find parts for are the MP-44, Japanese MG's, M-134 and the M-79 to just name a few. I spend on average $10,000 monthly for spare/replacement parts but some months I might get "lucky" and find a demilled MP-44 kit for $6,500+ or demilled Japanese MG (Type 92, Type 96, Type 99) kit for $3,500+ and have to jump on them fast.

As for the other question, we don't add recoil pads or compensators to any of the weapons, in fact, I try to remove any muzzle brake/comp if possible. They increase the noise in the range substantially and I try to keep the range as tolerable for the RSO's as possible. The one recent exception is the HCAR's compensator. That weapon is a .30-06 and it feels like I am shoot a Colt HBAR.

V/R
Ron M Cheney
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Valintino:

<snip>

View Quote

We do run full-auto FAL's, G3's, M14's, SCAR-H's and even a full-auto SIG 716 (though this one is rarely used). Other than the commercial op rods in the M14's, the main battle rifles are all pretty much unremarkable. They get used every day of the week and just keep running pretty much without issues.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Thanks.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

I'd also be interested in knowing which .308 battle rifle designs are the most rugged and hold up the best.  I have a hunch that the G3 types are the most durable with least problems / parts breakage.  You mentioned that the M14s break commercial parts, how about when you use forged GI parts?  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like you are becoming the Underwriter's Laboratory for firearms.  
As far as parts, put a to do list sticky up somewhere....I am sure everyone reading this .. hits gun shows where they live.
Hell, if I find something you need I'll send it for store credit LOL

Still have two rifles on my bucket list, I want to shoot a BAR....like my Pop used in Korea... and a 600 Nitro Express (saving that for S. Africa visit)..

Pretty much got to shoot everything else while I was in the Navy (M2, M60, M249, Mk19, MP5, M16, M4, Mk18, M40, and my favorite the M14).

We do run full-auto FAL's, G3's, M14's, SCAR-H's and even a full-auto SIG 716 (though this one is rarely used). Other than the commercial op rods in the M14's, the main battle rifles are all pretty much unremarkable. They get used every day of the week and just keep running pretty much without issues.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

<snip>

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Getting spare parts for these guns is something that I have to do every single day of the week.. .literally checking 10-15x daily on Gunbroker or other websites with NFA items. I have one gentleman here in Las Vegas that does the gun show circuit in Southern NV, Southern California and Southern Utah and he constantly text me pics of items that he knows I am looking for. I am sure he adds a few points (or more) on everything he finds but knows our collection and constantly surprises me with the things he will find.  

The hardest systems to find parts for are the MP-44, Japanese MG's, M-134 and the M-79 to just name a few. I spend on average $10,000 monthly for spare/replacement parts but some months I might get "lucky" and find a demilled MP-44 kit for $6,500+ or demilled Japanese MG (Type 92, Type 96, Type 99) kit for $3,500+ and have to jump on them fast.

As for the other question, we don't add recoil pads or compensators to any of the weapons, in fact, I try to remove any muzzle brake/comp if possible. They increase the noise in the range substantially and I try to keep the range as tolerable for the RSO's as possible. The one recent exception is the HCAR's compensator. That weapon is a .30-06 and it feels like I am shoot a Colt HBAR.

V/R
Ron M Cheney
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cccollin545:

V/R
Ron M Cheney

Thank you so much this is a great thread. This information has been great I'll be sure to stop by your range when I'm in town!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]
cool
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I apologize for not replying earlier so I will try and provide a bit more insight.

- We don't use steel-cased ammo in our AR15 platforms. We had to use it awhile back after the Sandy Hook incident when ammo was hard to get and we did lose extractors on more-than-average basis.

- Cam path wear is definitely noticeable on the uppers.

- I believe the armorers clean the AR's every 5-7 days.. sooner if needed and if business is good. After every cleaning, the armorers run twenty-five rounds down range and they check to make sure the rounds group somewhat close and they check for good ejection

- We have never used any of the "after market" gas tubes like those that have been coated with Melonite, adjustable systems or "pig tails". I've always tried to use "factory" parts wherever possible to keep things simple. I like the idea of the Melonite gas tube though, I just didn't know something like that was available.

- Regarding gas piston systems, the pistons have snapped (or bent) and even some of the roller cam pins have snapped right off. The only one to last so far has been the HK system.

- We have product-tested some other BCG's that were finished in some sort of Cerokote, Molyresin or other finish.. I just know they weren't parkerized. The carriers themselves held up even without the finish but the bolts themselves didn't last as long as the LMT or DD units.

- The one weapon that I know that has a factory Cerokote that has lasted 100% with ZERO defects is our Barrett M107A1. We've had this weapon for quite some time and it gets it regular cleanings and even though we don't dip the receiver into the ultrasonic cleaner, it still looks pretty close to new.

- I checked with the armorers and we've had to use anti-walk pins in a total of three receivers. Two of the holes were "egged" but it turns out that old primers made their way under the trigger and the increased pressure put stress on the pins. The receiver gave before the pins did so KNS anti-walk pins were installed. We had to use them on an auto-sear pin hole for one of the receivers.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

I would love to see how the Spikes Melonite gas tubes stand up to serious full auto abuse on Mk18 uppers.

Thanks again for all your info and I'll be sure to stop in when I'm back in Vegas.  I'm assuming you are pretty busy during CES?
Page / 42
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top