Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Another great post Molan, thanks.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone know where to buy one of these Colt pencil barrels; aside from buying the complete rifle or complete upper? I know its going to be a long time before supply catches back up with demand.

Originally Posted By MRW:

bump to avoid the archive!  

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm an Hbar type of girl 20"
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This post has been helpful with my last few builds. Not finding Colt lightweight barrels, i ended up getting a Daniel Defense LIGHTWEIGHT MID GAS and have a BCM Lightweight Mid gas on the way. My first pencil barrel was the 14.5 Colt and it is one of my favorites!
Thank you for your time to do this testing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]
How is it that a 3-year old archived post can be ressurected? Just wondering.

Anyway, using normal methods of statistical analysis, that rifle shoots 1.124 MOA.

Primer for group size analysis:

http://www.the-long-family.com/group_size_analysis.htm

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Sporter Lightweight that shoots well. That thing gets hot quick though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grove:
I bought my wife this Carbon AR from Bushmaster and I'm curious about the possibility of switching out the barrel for the Colt LW.

First off will this barrel even fit the BM?  I didn't know if the carbon guns are any different.  

Is there any weight savings?  I can't find any info on the weight of the BM "lightweight" barrel.  My wife is small so every little bit helps  The weight of this gun is why I purchased it for her.

I'm sure it is better than the factory barrel, hopefully it is lighter, so I don't really see a downside to the idea.

ETA- BM Barrel Info

16" Bushmaster SuperLight Barrel Assembly
The lightest 16" barrel we've ever offered - tapers from .670" to .565" under handguards, .625" under sightbase, and to .570" at the muzzle - similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile. Assembly includes Bayonet Lug, Threaded Muzzle, A2 Birdcage Flash Suppressor, Handguards, Gas Tube, and Delta Ring Kit.

NOTE: due to diameter at muzzle, no "slip-on/pinned" type muzzle brakes will fit this barrel. Use only 1/2"x 28 T.p.I. threaded accessories.

Grove
View Quote

Other barrels will fit, just be careful as the composite upper tends to break right behind the barrel nut threads
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]
broken pic links repaired
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Much appreciated! Will be saving this thread.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocApocalypse] [#14]
The only improvement over the 6520 being the perfect AR is the 6720:  Same thing but with the flat top M4 receiver.  (I still shoot with irons most of the time, but it's nice to know I have the option of installing optics as God intended. )

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As it comes from the factory:

Attachment Attached File

Unfortunately, I don't think Colt has any plans to make more of these.  Even replacement barrels have been out of stock everywhere for a couple of years.  Complete uppers too, unless I missed a source.

I put mine in storage and now I shoot a "FrankenColt" 6920 that I put a Doublestar pencil barrel upper on to have a shooter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#15]
Colt barrels can shoot pretty damn well for what they are. It would be great if they offered their barrels in modern profile.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 4:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:
Colt barrels can shoot pretty damn well for what they are. It would be great if they offered their barrels in modern profile.
View Quote

Colt always seems to be a day late and a dollar short on innovations that the market wants.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top