[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By WILSON:

pathfinder74:

Matt_B:

M199:
Try an Ace SOCOM.

That is probably the only one I will be adding to data set in the OP.

DUOSTOCK!! DUOSTOCK!!

What in the hell is a DUOSTOCK???

You know, the "Lima Bean" stock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
AS A LEO I HAVE FOUND 6 POS COLLAPSIBLE STOCKS ARE ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN APPROXIMATELY 1/3RD OF COLLAPSIBLE STOCKS ON OUR DEPARTMENT RIFLES HAVE BECOME DAMAGED OR BENT WHEN CONDUCTING DYNAMIC ENTRIES IN 4 YEARS AND APPROXIMATELY 100 ENTRIES AND HAVE THUS RESULTED IN US HAVING VERY EXPENSIVE SINGLE SHOTS.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you using them for battering rams or what? What brand where they using?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By LEO311:
AS A LEO I HAVE FOUND 6 POS COLLAPSIBLE STOCKS ARE ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN APPROXIMATELY 1/3RD OF COLLAPSIBLE STOCKS ON OUR DEPARTMENT RIFLES HAVE BECOME DAMAGED OR BENT WHEN CONDUCTING DYNAMIC ENTRIES IN 4 YEARS AND APPROXIMATELY 100 ENTRIES AND HAVE THUS RESULTED IN US HAVING VERY EXPENSIVE SINGLE SHOTS.

and you think that is what they were designed for?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a new 6 pos stock on my bushmaster and I also have just the stock of an older type 4 position( All it is is the the stock, not the tube,string,buffer or spacer). How do or can(if i can) change the 6 pos out and put on the older looking stock on my rifle? How do i change the 6 pos to a A2 stock? I know im a newbie but I cant help it.

-Matt
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By LEO311:

Are they wearing clown shoes or sumthin?  

Seriously though, Are they cheapo 6-pos stocks?  As long as the buffer tube is a sufficient thickness it should be OK...  Wonder about the brand because I haven't heard about the military saying they break.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Hrm. so unless you're using the plastic to break down a door they're good to go?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Magpul, I did a quick Google search and sure it can happen, it doesn't sound like it happens often with paratroopers.  I don't doubt that it can happen, just that it seems that it doesn't happen that often.

A fixed stock could bend at the same place, if it really is a common issue they could simply use a stronger material or grade of aluminum...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:18:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Gator:
Magpul, I did a quick Google search and sure it can happen, it doesn't sound like it happens often with paratroopers.  I don't doubt that it can happen, just that it seems that it doesn't happen that often.

A fixed stock could bend at the same place, if it really is a common issue they could simply use a stronger material or grade of aluminum...

Where exactly did you find statistical data on paratrooper's rifles being bent that makes you believe this isn't a frequent occurance? You're Googling skills must far exceed mine if you found a site with this kind of information.

I hope you're not basing that statement on whetehr or not this sort of thing makes the 5 o'clock news on ABC...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gator] [#13]
Sure I'm mainly playing Google commando, but if it happened frequently I'm sure there would be SOMEONE griping loudly about it...  Only a few accounts, one captain(?) said that it doesn't happen very often.

With all the media following troops in Iraq, and the issues we hear about now, if it was happening often I think we would have heard about it.  But I'll admit that makes me far from an expert  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Magpul:

Originally Posted By Gator:

Fixed stocks are very different in terms of bend point than a standard collapsible.

1. There is no exposed threading on the fixed stock (it is the same thickness the entire length of the tube) so any force strong enough to bend the tube is not focused on a single weak point.

2. On a fixed stock much of the bending force is neutralized by the body of the fixed stock which acts as a bracket or strength member when it screwed up to the receiver. The M4 tube is totally unsupported in this aspect.

Both issues of bent tubes that I was personally aware of came from unit armors after parachute jumps. I have heard of other stories third hand of the same issue arising doing other actions.

In short, yes it does happen rarely and can be fixed by a higher grade material but it does happen now with the M4s when it didn't happen with the fixed A2 stock.

MAGPUL.....I went to your website and the M93A stock isn't listed for sale ! !   I'd like to buy one for my Bushy but can't if they're not there.  Can you tell me what the scoop is ?

Dan G.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Troy:
Now if we could only get the QD sling swivel adapter...  

-Troy

Are you referring to a stock mounted or receiver mounted version? I've got 3 receiver mounted versions on my ARs and shotgun but I'm going to need another one in a few months

If you want to see pictures, let me know and I will post some.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#19]

I'm looking for a third such device, but one that is machined out to accept a QD sling swivel, such as the KAC QD swivel, which I use on my railed handguards, at the front near the FSB:

That's exactly what I have. Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. Here's a pic

I used that sling mount with my RRA collapsible stocks and learned to really like it. Once I heard that
Magpul would be making some, I had to "pester" Richard for a little while but I managed to get a few them (which are working out great BTW Richard). I'll get some pics up this weekend. I would love to generate more interest for this type of sling mount (because I love them) so it would become a regular production item. I'm going to have to have one of these mounts for my 9mm AR build.

On a side note, every time I see that AR I think I'm looking at mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Im going to purchase the ACE M4 Socom stock for my rifle.
I have the Bushy M4-A3 rifle.
Will I need to purchase any additional items, buffer, spring, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 4:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By juran21:
Im going to purchase the ACE M4 Socom stock for my rifle.
I have the Bushy M4-A3 rifle.
Will I need to purchase any additional items, buffer, spring, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Depending on where you are ordering it from they usually give you the option of w/ or w/o the buffer and spring. You won't need a receiver extension tube because that is part of the stock.

If you have a shorty/collapsing stock on your rifle already you won't need either of these. If you have a standard A2 stock you will need both.

Glad you decided on one of those... they are the cats freakin meow. I don't care what anyone says, you can't beat the "meat hammer".
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 9:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#23]

Matt,

The adapter you have isn't compatible with the MagPul stock, which does not use a conventional "CAR" buffer tube.  Rich has talked about making a similar adapter that's designed to work with the MagPul stock.

-Troy

Ok, I guess still not being clear enough. I have 3 sling adaptors made by Magpul (similar to the KAC one in the picture) on my ARs and my FN shotgun. Rich did make some and I managed to get 3 of them. Really, I did. I'll post a pic of one on Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Well, damn.  Just, damn.  I don't know how, but somehow I'm ALWAYS a day (or month, or 6 months) late finding out about MagPul news...  

-Troy

Well, like I said, I did have to pester him a bit about them. The sling mounts I got are essentially prototypes. I was really, really lucky to get them. It's been about 9 months since I got them but since I haven't taken any pics of them, it's kind of hard to explain what they are because a lot of folks just the standard loop plates.
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried the ACE SOCOM tele-stock on a guy's rifle today. It felt real solid but overall I'm still sticking with my old fashion Colt 4pos.

I'm glad I didn't buy it first like I did the VLTOR which isn't on it anymore.

just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Troy, here's a pic of the Magpul QD receiver sling mount on my FN shotgun. It replaces the piece that locks in between the left and right brackets. Takes about 3 mins. to install. and uses the same QD sling loop as the KAC.

Link Posted: 1/19/2005 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#28]

OK Here's a dumb one guys:

I see LOP figures (Length of Pull, Right?)

This is measured from where?

My aluminum stock, which I'm planning on replacing with a Crane or Ace, goes from about 6 3/4" to 10" from the upper.

The LOP #s I'm seeing don't add upHow
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 10:13:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#29]

Originally Posted By pocketzoo:
OK Here's a dumb one guys:

I see LOP figures (Length of Pull, Right?) This is measured from where?

My aluminum stock, which I'm planning on replacing with a Crane or Ace, goes from about 6 3/4" to 10" from the upper.

The LOP #s I'm seeing don't add up How is this measured?

Thanks in advance!

Length of pull is measured from the back edge of the butt pad to the middle of the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks Matt!

It all makes sense now.

Now about the meaning of life...
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I've updated my intial post with data on the M4 SOCOM stock. Yeah, I know. It took me friggin' long enough.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Socom on my RRA and love it!!!  Really solid.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Vltor:
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Gents, if you're going to post about your unabashed adoration for a certain stock, I would really appreciate it you state why you like your stock. Just stating that "I really like my Vltor. It's great." isn't very informative. Which stock you like or dislike isn't as important as why you like it or dislike.

I suspect that some of you are just breezing through the thread and not reading the intial post which states intent and purpose of this thread and how you can help be a part of it. If this thread is going to help people with their buying decision then this thread needs to contain more than just "I like my Magpul stock. It's so tactical".

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the Tapco T6 stock. Before you start Flaming the Sh*t out of me, wait.

The quality is suprising.  Extremely rigid and all 6 positions are positive. Materials are of a high quality and don't seem "cheap" like most Chineese crap does. Cheek weld seems perfect to me. It also has a lifetime warranty.  

Ok, flame away........
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I like my Ace Ltd M4 SOCOM because it is solid, comfortable (mainly because of the neoprene pad), because Ace Ltd. seems to be a pretty stand-up company that make some really nice parts, it looks freakin' cool, and the biggest reason: MEAT HAMMER!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
I like my Ace Ltd M4 SOCOM because it is solid, comfortable (mainly because of the neoprene pad), because Ace Ltd. seems to be a pretty stand-up company that make some really nice parts, it looks freakin' cool, and the biggest reason: MEAT HAMMER!! hr

Ditto.  Also because I like its aesthetics (simple design, yet functional).  Quiet as a mouse too, i.e. it doesn't rattle (it drove me nuts) like the stock M4 6 pos. stocks.  Lots of sling mount points built in, and the cheekweld is consistent.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#39]
CMT
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I decided to change the title of this thread in the hopes of getting more folks to add useful information instead of just stating simple opinions ("I like Brand X").
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
I decided to change the title of this thread in the hopes of getting more folks to add useful information instead of just stating simple opinions ("I like Brand X").

Did a new stock-making company pop up that I didn't know about? Does this Brand X have a website? Any pixs of their products?

I love this thread... I don't know if the name change was really necessary but time will tell. Either way it's a dandy of a resource for those in the market. Keep up the good work on those reviews guys.

Oh, and I look forward to reading a review of that new Magpul m95 stock that should be comign out in the near future. That sucker looks super sweet.

Magpul's Prototype "M95 spin off" stock

I could see myself doing a build just to justify getting one of these.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Magpul:
The bend point is on the threading, right after the castle nut. Even a sight bend here will render the gun inoperable.

What collapsible stock with redesigned tube best addresses this issue?
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#43]
the socom m4 is supposed to be 6x stronger tha the org stock at this area
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Call me old school but i like the original car stocks , I saw quite a few m4's with the old style in the sandbox.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 9:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:11:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#46]

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Originally Posted By LoneWolf3:
Call me old school but i like the original car stocks , I saw quite a few m4's with the old style in the sandbox.

Ok, why do you like them?

What you see in the sandbox is somewhat dictated by the company/battalion SOP. Some of their guidelines prohibit the modification of issue weapons beyond adding a scope. They seem to think this is somehow changing the mechanical workings of the rifle or something. It just depends on the unit. I'm sure if these guys had a choice and were allowed to customize their issue rifles to their liking the armory would like the AR15.com picture thread... no two rifles alike. So I wouldn't attribute seeing a lot of them as meaning they are the most effective/best to have.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#47]
No ,I didn't mean to imply that they were the most effective or the best simply that they are still in service,as for why i like them the smaller size of the car stock works best for me . I don't care for the higher priced custom stocks but thats just me.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By LoneWolf3:
No ,I didn't mean to imply that they were the most effective or the best simply that they are still in service,as for why i like them the smaller size of the car stock works best for me . I don't care for the higher priced custom stocks but thats just me.  

Ok, you say you like the CAR stock because it's smaller size works best for you. How so?

Also, you say you don't care for the higher priced custom stocks but you don't say why? Have you tried any and, if so, which ones?

Please understand that the reason I am asking these questions is to make this thread as informative as possible. If you like or dislike something, please state why you feel the way you do so others can use that information to help them make a decision.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Matt_B... really crackin' down on those ambiguous posts. I love it. My only suggestion is that if you're directing it at a particular person and they come back with the answers you're looking for, remove your previous post/request so as to downsize on the clutter. Just edit out the comment(s) and plug in a "."

Just a suggestion. I'll delet this part of the post per your request.

Since I try to add something stock related in my posts so as not to piss Matt_B off...

I've used the Magpul stock, the CAR stock, and the the M4 SOCOM.

Magpul:I was really surprised by how nice the Pagpul was. It's felt good in my shoulder, seemed a little more sturdy than I expected, and I do dig how at full extesion the LOP is longer than the average collapible stock. I'd certainly consider getting on on a 3rd or 4th AR.

CAR: These certainly serve their purpose and I've never had major comfort issues with them. I've used a few in the past that rattled a lot, which was certainly a turn-off. From what I understand some of the newer ones/different manufacturer's seem to have addressed this issue. They are generally cheaper (in price), but I'm sure with all the deals on the EE you could find a good one on one of the more "bling" alternative customs stocks and not feel it too much in your wallet. If you favor function over form I wouldn't say this is the top choice, but as long as you're not concerned with having a cool looking stock and the function demands are simply that it does collapse and doesn't rattle, this is a safe choice.

M4 SOCOM: My personal favorite, as can be read in other posts. I can't explain why but the "meat hammer" is just a completely different approach to a collapsing stock and I love it. In the vent that I actually find myself in a situation where I need to crack someone's skull with the butt of my weapon I'll be glad I have this one. The button for collasping the stock is decent... I might like it better if it were a little larger in diameter but not so big that it get's pushed in accidentally. I suspect it's design would be favorable in an environment where snagging on thigns might be a concern. It's pretty rounded out and doesn't have a lot of parts sticking out for no reason. I love the neoprene cheek weld, though I might be happier if they ever come out with one that's a little thicker. And of course... IMHO it looks badass.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Matt_B... really crackin' down on those ambiguous posts. I love it.

I'm just trying to keep things constructive and informative.

My only suggestion is that if you're directing it at a particular person and they come back with the answers you're looking for, remove your previous post/request so as to downsize on the clutter. Just edit out the comment(s) and plug in a "."
Roger that.

Since I try to add something stock related in my posts so as not to piss Matt_B off...
Puh-lease.... And thank you for sharing your experiences with those stocks.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top