Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
6/27/2020 6:39:00 PM EDT
Hello All! New to the website. I recently purchased my first AR15 (Diamondback DB15) and brought it out to the range today. Not new at shooting just finally got the money together to buy an AR. Anyway, I got it loaded and took my first shot and noticed it jammed. After some investigating I realized the firearm was not extracting and ejecting the spent casing. The casing was getting stuck in the chamber and I was a able to pry one out with a screw driver and try again but it happened again and I gave up and went home and get it out with a cleaning rod through the barrel. Now I am wondering what to do. My first thought was to go back to the store I bought the firearm as it has a lifetime warranty but I figured I would try to DIY and see if I could learn something as I go. The ammo I was using was frontier 556 62GR spire point. The spent casing looked to be sheared where the ejector tried to grab it? Best way I could explain it.  Again this is my first AR15 so if any of my terminology is off my bad.

Thank you!
6/27/2020 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]


Here is an image of one of the spent casings
6/27/2020 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
https://imgur.com/UnyVWbT

Here is an image of one of the spent casings
View Quote


Pic fixed OP.

6/27/2020 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Pic is a little blurry but looks like the extractor is ripping a chunk out of the case rim.

Could be an improperly machined extractor.  How hard were the cases stuck in the chamber?
6/27/2020 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When I got home and got my cleaning rod through the barrel all it needed was a gentle tap and it fell out.
6/27/2020 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Chamber clean? Extractor spring may be too soft, or gun way overgassed.
6/27/2020 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
Chamber clean? Extractor spring may be too soft, or gun way overgassed.
View Quote


I mean it was a brand new gun. I lubed it up and took it to range. I can defiantly give it a good clean. I seen a BCM extractor spring upgrade for really cheap I thought about grabbing.

Im not sure about the gas though again this is my first AR15 and not sure if thats something I can adjust or from the manufacturer.
6/27/2020 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Does your extractor have the rubber o ring around the spring?   If it took just a gentle tap to remove the spent case it could be an indication of a weak spring.  

Before using any tools to pry out a case, try mortaring the stock, smack it on the ground while holding the charging handle and yank it backwards.

6/27/2020 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
Does your extractor have the rubber o ring around the spring?   If it took just a gentle tap to remove the spent case it could be an indication of a weak spring.  

Before using any tools to pry out a case, try mortaring the stock, smack it on the ground while holding the charging handle and yank it backwards.

View Quote


I could take some pictures of my BCG and post them if that helps? Do I need to separate the bolt from the carrier or are you able to see that rubber O ring and spring?
6/27/2020 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:


I could take some pictures of my BCG and post them if that helps? Do I need to separate the bolt from the carrier or are you able to see that rubber O ring and spring?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does your extractor have the rubber o ring around the spring?   If it took just a gentle tap to remove the spent case it could be an indication of a weak spring.  

Before using any tools to pry out a case, try mortaring the stock, smack it on the ground while holding the charging handle and yank it backwards.



I could take some pictures of my BCG and post them if that helps? Do I need to separate the bolt from the carrier or are you able to see that rubber O ring and spring?


Separate bolt from carrier then pop out the extractor pin and remove the extractor.
6/27/2020 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:


Could be an improperly machined extractor.  
View Quote

No the extractor was clearly doing it's job.


In a case like this it's either
1) Overgassed (gas hole was drilled too large) so it' starting it's pull too early - hence the ripped rim.
or
2) Chamber is rough which held onto the walls of the brass until pressure went down enough, too late in the extraction cycle.

Either way no bueno.
6/27/2020 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:
Im not sure about the gas though again this is my first AR15 and not sure if thats something I can adjust or from the manufacturer.
View Quote

Gas system is not adjustable in stock configuration.  Some MFGs make the port too large to 'make it reliable' when in fact too much gas is just as bad an issue as too little.

For about $60 there is an adjustable gas tube.

If your AR is a carbine there is also the PRI Fat Boy gas tube.  (enhanced gas volume to slow down the cyclic rate)  It could fix an over gassed issue, but I wouldn't jump to it for a new rifle.

Though as it's a new rifle I'd expect it to work out of the box.  I'd have them replace the barrel with a decent one.
6/27/2020 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Chambered for .223 instead of 5.56x45?
6/27/2020 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Clean the chamber.

Test.

Call Manufacturer.
6/27/2020 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:

Gas system is not adjustable in stock configuration.  Some MFGs make the port too large to 'make it reliable' when in fact too much gas is just as bad an issue as too little.

For about $60 there is an adjustable gas tube.

If your AR is a carbine there is also the PRI Fat Boy gas tube.  (enhanced gas volume to slow down the cyclic rate)  It could fix an over gassed issue, but I wouldn't jump to it for a new rifle.

Though as it's a new rifle I'd expect it to work out of the box.  I'd have them replace the barrel with a decent one.
View Quote


I agree with this.  Overgassed.
6/27/2020 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted:


I could take some pictures of my BCG and post them if that helps? Do I need to separate the bolt from the carrier or are you able to see that rubber O ring and spring?
View Quote


I you have the 'O' ring or in this case 'D' ring, it lives around the the extractor spring and plunger in the extractor, it increases the tension of the extractor on the rim of the cartridge.  
If you have questions on installation, you can find videos on youtube which will make it simple.
.
6/27/2020 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This is why friends don't let friends buy DB
6/27/2020 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say rough chamber. I bought a DB15 a couple years ago for cheap. When mounting a scope I noticed that the upper was machined crooked. I contacted DB. they had me take pics. They sent me a shipping label. A week or so later I got it back. I'll be damned if it wasn't machined crooked but towards the opposite side so the scope ran out of adjustment on it also. I emailed them. She had me take pics. Then told me that the gunsmith said it was ok. I wasn't happy. She told me that I can send it back again.. I told her dont worry about it, that they had their chance and obviously had an incompetent gun Smith and I would just sell it and never buy a DB product. Never again!!!! I'm fairly certain that they were blem receivers is why the gun was so cheap.
6/27/2020 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Quoted:

No the extractor was clearly doing it's job.


In a case like this it's either
1) Overgassed (gas hole was drilled too large) so it' starting it's pull too early - hence the ripped rim.
or
2) Chamber is rough which held onto the walls of the brass until pressure went down enough, too late in the extraction cycle.

Either way no bueno.
View Quote

I would agree with this. Could also be that the chamber is gummed up with a preservative? You should always scrub the chamber perfectly clean before shooting a new gun. The chamber side walls should appear smooth after being cleaned. If the chamber walls are smooth and don't have any noticeable imperfections or machining chatter you most likely have a chamber that is too tight at the side wall dimensions or the rifle is trying to extract while the case is under too much pressure, as already mentioned.
If cases are still sticking after a good cleaning you're probably better off returning the gun. You could Hone the chamber, adjust the gas, adjust buffer and spring weight etc. but why should you need to do all that?
6/27/2020 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#19]
^^^
This
Clean chamber
Make sure things are lubed well, if it still doesn't work don't mess with it, take it back.
6/28/2020 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:

No the extractor was clearly doing it's job.


In a case like this it's either
1) Overgassed (gas hole was drilled too large) so it' starting it's pull too early - hence the ripped rim.
or
2) Chamber is rough which held onto the walls of the brass until pressure went down enough, too late in the extraction cycle.

Either way no bueno.
View Quote



3) Chamber has out of spec dimensions for 5.56.

Hallmarks of cheap guns foisted upon the ignorant. They're all the same right? Just paying for the name huh? SMH
6/28/2020 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:

3) Chamber has out of spec dimensions for 5.56.

Hallmarks of cheap guns foisted upon the ignorant. They're all the same right? Just paying for the name huh? SMH
View Quote
Which dimensions you thinkin'?
6/28/2020 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
Clean the chamber.

Test.

Call Manufacturer.
View Quote


This is what I'll do.  Get a chamber brush, scrub chamber and oil BCG.  Go shooting with a different type of ammo.  If continues, call manufacture for shipping label.


CD
6/28/2020 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you shooting fresh factory ammo?
6/29/2020 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry if I missed it... what barrel length, what gas system length and who manufactured the barrel ?

I'd bet the gas port is crazy over sized.
6/30/2020 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I think everyone is getting a little ahead of themselves..... the first think you should do to troubleshoot is find a safe direction to point the rifle, load up a full magazine of rounds, rack the bolt and load the chamber. Now, rack the bolt and expel the rounds one-by-one. Report back.

I seriously doubt this is a dirty chamber issue. It sounds like an overpressure from the rounds.... at least, that's would it would be if I were in load development for my bolt gun. Could def be a chamber issue, I just don't think it's just cause it's dirty. In the end, I would 100% take it back to the manufacture. They need to probably pull the barrel and mic it. What I would have done at the range, would have been to go buy a box of different ammo right on the spot to see how it did with a different load and casing.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor