Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
9/24/2026 11:18:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg][Edited]
It’s old. Has the typical discoloration.  I’m building a retro . Xm177E2 . Thanks..Attached File
9/24/2026 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah, leave it alone.
GOA, Florida Carry
9/24/2026 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I just scrubbed it with dawn and hot water.  Did very little…. But I’ll run it just because of what it is.  My clp it ..
9/24/2026 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ar154all:
Ah, leave it alone.
View Quote


 I will do just that.   Thanks.
9/24/2026 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If it really concerns you dip it in RIT dye.  I doubt it can make it look worse.
9/24/2026 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks good.  Leave it.
9/24/2026 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Originally Posted By eddiebunkaz:
It looks good.  Leave it.
View Quote


This, especially since you're doing a Retro.

Mottled grip is perfect. Whatever you do, don't paint or dye it.
"An age of glory passed like a lightning flash. The mandate of heaven passed from you but you didn't see. Times change and power passes. It is the pity of the world."

Song dynasty poet
9/24/2026 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Run it. It's what I've been doing. I bought a handful of them a few years ago for pennies. Been replacing anything with an A2 grip.
9/24/2026 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Guy at a show had a box of these for $10 each.  They all looked exactly like that including the one I got.  Should of gotten more but I'm running it on something soon and don't think it will look new again but that's fine.
9/24/2026 5:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all][Edited] [#9]
OKAY, I am not sure if some of you don't know ...  This is an early grip. They have this modeling in them that distinguishes them from later M16 A1 type grips.  Kinda like the streaks in a piece of marble.  This is the way it was made, and it is desired and sold on the EE to Retro-Heads for a tidy sum.  These are supposed to look this way.

Don't try to clean it, you'll only smooth out the details, you'll never get rid of the brown spots.  If it must be cleaned, just wipe it off with a damp rag and call it a day.
GOA, Florida Carry
9/24/2026 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Originally Posted By ar154all:
OKAY, I am not sure if some of you don't know ...  This is an early grip. They have this modeling in them that distinguishes them from later M16 A1 type grips.  Kinda like the streaks in a piece of marble.  This is the way it was made, and it is desired and sold on the EE to Retro-Heads for a tidy sum.  These are supposed to look this way.

Don't try to clean it, you'll only smooth out the details, you'll never get rid of the brown spots.  If it must be cleaned, just wipe it off with a damp rag and call it a day.
View Quote


Thank you.  This what I did.
9/24/2026 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few of these on some builds and a few that haven't  put on anything yet. I like them.
An armed society is a polite society.
9/24/2026 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Originally Posted By fulautotank:
I have a few of these on some builds and a few that haven't  put on anything yet. I like them.
View Quote

They do give a build a bit of personality.
GOA, Florida Carry
9/24/2026 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Some 3m spray can adhesion promoter, a gray scotch bright, and a can of rustolium flat black will do the trick.
9/24/2026 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a mottled A1 stock because it looked like that. I rubbed it down with some food-grade cutting board oil to tone down some of the brown spots, but it will show up again after it dries out (which I was hoping for).
Attached File
9/25/2026 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
Guy at a show had a box of these for $10 each.  They all looked exactly like that including the one I got.  Should of gotten more but I'm running it on something soon and don't think it will look new again but that's fine.
View Quote

I paid $20 for mine thought I got a decent deal.
Today 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Spooled:
Some 3m spray can adhesion promoter, a gray scotch bright, and a can of rustolium flat black will do the trick.
View Quote


That's a bit of effort to essentially ruin an early GI PG.
"An age of glory passed like a lightning flash. The mandate of heaven passed from you but you didn't see. Times change and power passes. It is the pity of the world."

Song dynasty poet
Today 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Mag polish cleans them very well without ruining them.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor