Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
9/24/2026 12:15:40 PM EDT
I need to order one. H2 or H3  ?
9/24/2026 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Flip a coin, either should be fine.

If you plan to add an FRT, go for the H3.
9/24/2026 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I see no reason, other than cost, not to use an H3 or proper equivalent (Tromix) in every gun I own.
I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers.
9/24/2026 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda need to see how the gasport size acts first. Not all same barrel lengths are drilled the same size.
9/24/2026 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
H3 buffer
9/24/2026 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
H2 all the things.

I do.
9/24/2026 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
Kinda need to see how the gasport size acts first. Not all same barrel lengths are drilled the same size.
View Quote

Attached File


If it’s gonna be suppressed though you almost can’t go wrong with H3.
9/24/2026 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The XM177E1 with 10 inch and a XM177E2 with 11.5 inch barrels used a standard 3.0 oz buffer.

Just sayin'.
9/24/2026 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:
The XM177E1 with 10 inch and a XM177E2 with 11.5 inch barrels used a standard 3.0 oz buffer.

Just sayin'.
View Quote


And the military switched to H2s in the Mk18 for a reason. Just cause something worked doesn’t mean it’s optimal.
9/24/2026 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It may also depend on whether it is a carbine or mid gas; I believe both are made.
H3 in my Geissele (carbine, unsuppressed) and they don't over gas their rifles nearly as much as many others...  Though it is stoutly gassed by G standards.
9/24/2026 6:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg][Edited] [#10]
Ok digging through my stash I found this Buffer stamped H3. I don’t even remember having it.  I can’t tell you if it’s a major player or mid tier or even low tier.  I do have an H2 that came in my Colt SoCom.  So I got it to test with . Just in case I need to order one.  I haven’t ordered parts in years.  It hurt my feelings when I saw what h2 & h3 buffers sell for.  Anyone identify this.  Probably not I’m guessing.   Its 3 1/4 tall.   Attached File
Attached File
9/24/2026 6:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tet493][Edited] [#11]
Woops
9/25/2026 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
Ok digging through my stash I found this Buffer stamped H3. I don’t even remember having it.  I can’t tell you if it’s a major player or mid tier or even low tier.  I do have an H2 that came in my Colt SoCom.  So I got it to test with . Just in case I need to order one.  I haven’t ordered parts in years.  It hurt my feelings when I saw what h2 & h3 buffers sell for.  Anyone identify this.  Probably not I’m guessing.   Its 3 1/4 tall.   https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_2418_jpeg-3832266.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_2419_jpeg-3832267.JPG
View Quote


Looks like my Aero buffers, but could be from anybody.

Sometimes factory H2's have a blue buffer, and H3's are red.  

I've cobbled my H2's together from buying H3's and switching out weights.  In the before-times though, before they were worth their weight in gold.
9/25/2026 5:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii][Edited] [#13]
Quote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:


And the military switched to H2s in the Mk18 for a reason. Just cause something worked doesn’t mean it’s optimal.
View Quote

The point is - they will all work, so there is no "need" to get an H, H1 or H3.

Since, we have no other specifics about how the gun is functioning, there is no hard reason to get a heavier buffer.  If there is more information about why the OP might "want" a heavy buffer, they a more tailored answer could be given.
9/28/2026 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I need to order one. H2 or H3  ?
View Quote

Suppressed or unsuppressed? Carbine or middy? Adj gas block or not?

I used a H3 with a red sprinco suppressed carbine I used a blue with a h2 unsuppressed carbine

12.5 middy rifle speed unsuppressed h1 with carbine or blue sprinco.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor