Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
9/27/2026 6:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smitty_007][Edited]
Hi All,

I’m in the market for a new LPVO for my 14.5.  I’m looking for a decent 1-6x in the $200-$400 range.  I’m not shooting competition, I just want it to hold up at the range and out hunting small game.

I’ve been looking at the following:
- PA SLx Nova ACSS
- Arken LH-6
- Burris RT-6
- Sig Tango MSR

In 2026, is there one budget LPVO that stands out?
9/27/2026 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
Hi All,

I’m in the market for a new LPVO for my 14.5.  I’m looking for a decent 1-6x in the $200-$400 range.  I’m not shooting competition, I just want it to hold up at the range and out hunting small game.

I’ve been looking at the following:
- PA SLx Nova ACSS
- Arken LH-6
- Burris RT-6
- Sig Tango MSR

In 2026, is there one budget LPVO that stands out?
View Quote


What is your prior experience with LPVOs?
9/27/2026 7:07:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smitty_007][Edited] [#2]
Originally Posted By tet493:
What is your prior experience with LPVOs?
View Quote


Original Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8
9/27/2026 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda depends on the shooting you want to do. The Nova is great as a red dot style 1x but it’s pretty limited as you extend the range. Meanwhile the RT6 and Sig MSR aren’t as quick up close but have a BDC reticle for shooting to 400 or so.
9/27/2026 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Eurooptic has the Trijicon Huron 1-4x for $400. They're pretty basic scopes (no illumination, simple reticle) but good glass for the money.
9/27/2026 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Kinda depends on the shooting you want to do. The Nova is great as a red dot style 1x but it’s pretty limited as you extend the range. Meanwhile the RT6 and Sig MSR aren’t as quick up close but have a BDC reticle for shooting to 400 or so.
View Quote


I’m thinking I really only care out to 200-300 yards at most for this.
9/27/2026 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
Eurooptic has the Trijicon Huron 1-4x for $400. They're pretty basic scopes (no illumination, simple reticle) but good glass for the money.
View Quote


I’ll check it out!
9/27/2026 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up an RT 6 off a prize table. I like it, especially for the price.


-the glass is clear
-the reticle is simple
-the illumination is good in slightly reduced light and doesn’t wash out the lens in low light.
-it has covered turrets, if that matters
-there is a little bit of fisheye at 1x. But, it’s not terrible.

I also have a Leupold Mk6 that’s “better.” But, practically speaking, I think the RT6 would get the same things done, just as well.
Distinguished
Yesterday 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#8]
PA 1-6 Nova
PA 1-6 Special Purchase (is this different? idk)
Vortex Strike Eagle FFP 1-8
Vortex Venom SFP 1-6
Vector Optics Continental 1-6
Vector Optics Continental 1-8

I dont personally like the sig or arken but ymmv, they are also good options under 500.
Yesterday 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By the-answer-is-42:
PA 1-6 Special Purchase (is this different? idk)
View Quote

Special Purchase is GLX (Philippine) glass and generally some kind of blem so it’s not quite as bright on the illumination. I have one and it’s great for the price.
Yesterday 8:54:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-][Edited] [#10]
Quote History
Originally Posted By the-answer-is-42:
PA 1-6 Special Purchase (is this different? idk)
View Quote

Much better glass but has issues at 6X with the eye box tightening that causes chromatic aberration if you’re not dead center. Higher quality controls. Not quite as bright but still 110% sufficient for daylight red dot visibility in my experience.

Mine is on a 5.56 so I don’t shoot it far enough that leaving it at 5X is make or break. If I could offer one product recommendation it would be make it a 1-5 instead but then people would be much less likely to buy it even though it would make it the best sub $500 LPVO.

It’s also not made in China.
Yesterday 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Griffin also sells a 1-8 and 1-10 if I recall.  Both have been reviewed quite well from the reviews I've seen.

110SASS rated it best out of this group
1.  Griffin Armament 1-10 Mil-R SFP

2.  Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 FFP

3.  Primary Arms SLx 1-10 SFP

4.  SIG Tango MSR 1-8 SFP

5.  SwampFox 1-10 Arrowhead SFP

6.  Arken 1-8 EP8 FFP
Yesterday 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two of the Vortex Strike Eagle II 1-6x24 which was replaced by the Venom 1-6x24 which is a little heavier than the SE II.   The Vortex Strike Eagle II is still available on limited distributor basis.   Palmetto State Armory sell the Strike Eagle II 1-6x24 for $179.99.   They currently have a deal with the Scope and one piece 30 mm mount  combo package for a very good price ($219.99).   This scope and mount still retain Vortex’s great warranty.    The price is so good I’m tempted to buy a third Strike Eagle II.


https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-gen-2-riflescope-with-ar-bdc3-reticle-vortex-sport-cantilever-30mm-ring-mount-2-offset-v2.html
Yesterday 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
Eurooptic has the Trijicon Huron 1-4x for $400. They're pretty basic scopes (no illumination, simple reticle) but good glass for the money.
View Quote

Yesterday 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve owned 8? Budget LPVOs

In 2026 the only one I still own and enjoy is my Viper PSTii 1-6.

I wouldn’t buy one full price but I’d pick up another used or on sale.
Yesterday 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup was going to say a used Viper PST gen 2 is pretty hard to beat. Gets you really close to a Razor, just not as bright of glass. Other than that, the reddot is just as bright.
Yesterday 6:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDB55][Edited] [#16]
If the primary arms special purchase 1-6x24 lpvo is in stock or available that's the best lpvo in your price range. It's a lighter weight PST gen 2 made in the Philippines as well and the most recent ones have red dot bright illumination.

Edit: Looks like they are out of stock currently, but they are available here on this website!

Equipment Exchange - AR15.COMView Topic - AR15.COM https://share.google/eV5kThft4xz5FsNjE

Ask him to look through the 3 and send the one with the brightest illumination, you won't regret these !
Yesterday 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Find a lightly used Steiner P4xi 1-4X.  Daylight bright reticle and great glass.

Another option is a Vortex PST II 1-6X.
Yesterday 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
A $200-400 LPVO is going to be a turd. I’d suggest keeping your money or increase your budget if that’s feasible.

The SAI 1-6 is a fantastic optic for the $750 price tag.

They also have one with a 6.8 bdc reticle for $550 if you don’t mind calculating your holds for 5.56.
Yesterday 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Originally Posted By EnablerNo1:
A $200-400 LPVO is going to be a turd. I’d suggest keeping your money or increase your budget if that’s feasible.

The SAI 1-6 is a fantastic optic for the $750 price tag.

They also have one with a 6.8 bdc reticle for $550 if you don’t mind calculating your holds for 5.56.
View Quote


Just sold my sai and Geissele mount for $620 shipped. It took a bit for any buyers.
Yesterday 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Continental x8 1-8x24i ED
Yesterday 8:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDB55][Edited] [#21]
Originally Posted By nvhunter:
Continental x8 1-8x24i ED
View Quote


This is actually really good too !

Yesterday 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Originally Posted By EnablerNo1:
A $200-400 LPVO is going to be a turd. I’d suggest keeping your money or increase your budget if that’s feasible.
View Quote

This. Part of the reason I’ve taken this long to get into LPVOs was I kept buying turds (and the tech has come a LONG way fast in the past few years.)

Shitty scopes suck to look through.
Yesterday 11:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tet493][Edited] [#23]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

This. Part of the reason I’ve taken this long to get into LPVOs was I kept buying turds (and the tech has come a LONG way fast in the past few years.)

Shitty scopes suck to look through.
View Quote


Low price LPVOs are super bait.

You can’t get something for nothing and ALL of them have some big flaw that allows them to be lower cost. Heck even expensive LPVOs all have some large functional flaw that we just accept due to the overall capability boost.

Durability is also a huge question I don’t see being regularly addressed. Some people do drop testing and others abstractly mention “durability” with no elaboration on their “testing.”
Today 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Originally Posted By JHans7663:
I’ve owned 8? Budget LPVOs

In 2026 the only one I still own and enjoy is my Viper PSTii 1-6.

I wouldn’t buy one full price but I’d pick up another used or on sale.
View Quote



I bought my second Vortex PST 1-6 on the used market for $250.
Glass, illumination and build quality are very good. The 23oz weight
can be mitigated by using an Aero mount. The warranty is second to none.

Today 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
Hi All,

I’m in the market for a new LPVO for my 14.5.  I’m looking for a decent 1-6x in the $200-$400 range.  I’m not shooting competition, I just want it to hold up at the range and out hunting small game.

I’ve been looking at the following:
- PA SLx Nova ACSS
- Arken LH-6
- Burris RT-6
- Sig Tango MSR

In 2026, is there one budget LPVO that stands out?
View Quote


Of those, I would go with the PA SLx Nova.

But I would say, it is 100% worth it to spend more and get the PA 1-8X PLxC NOVA.  It really is that good.  NOVA reticle which is awesome.  The scope is incredible.  Significantly lighter.  But what I find most impressive is how the scope body when you are looking through the scope, takes up very little of your vision.  It is weird but true and is worth it.
Today 8:05:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EnablerNo1][Edited] [#26]
Quote History
Originally Posted By thunderopossom:


Just sold my sai and Geissele mount for $620 shipped. It took a bit for any buyers.
View Quote


Yeah selling used optics is tough unless they are priced well and are desirable. Even once sought after high end optics like a Kahles k16i.
Today 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

This. Part of the reason I’ve taken this long to get into LPVOs was I kept buying turds (and the tech has come a LONG way fast in the past few years.)

Shitty scopes suck to look through.
View Quote


Yep, bad glass is worse than no glass at all.
Today 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a Primary Arms SLx 1-6x24 ACSS Gen III back in Nov of 2024 for $179.00.  I think it was a black friday deal.  I am impressed by the glass for the price.   I would like to get a newer Gen IV Nova to try.
Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison....
Today 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Originally Posted By EnablerNo1:
A $200-400 LPVO is going to be a turd. I'd suggest keeping your money or increase your budget if that's feasible.

The SAI 1-6 is a fantastic optic for the $750 price tag.

They also have one with a 6.8 bdc reticle for $550 if you don't mind calculating your holds for 5.56.
View Quote
I do not think the Burris rt6 is a turd. It is a very decent optic on its own. For the price it is definitely a value.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor