Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
1/21/2018 10:34:22 PM EDT
I recently started shooting an ArmaLite AR10T Ultra (.300 RSAUM), my one and only AR10 rifle. My only complaint is the length of pull on the standard rifle-length butt stock is longer than my liking, especially when wearing bulky winter clothes. Also, I generally prefer a carbine-length collapsible stock for instant LOP adjustment.

I contacted ArmaLite about alternative buffer / spring combos for this rifle, but they will not respond (think they just want to forget about the "Ultra" they brought to market). I'm not sure if the Ultra uses a standard AR10 .308 buffer / spring or not -- buffer weighs @ 5.5 to 6 oz. on the kitchen scale and measures 5.25".

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any ideas about an alternative buffer / spring in a carbine length tube that can handle / function with .300 RSAUM, un-suppressed, without beating the hell out of me or the rifle.

Had one suggestion from No Kick of a Kynshot hydraulic buffer with a heavy Sprinco spring. Are the Kynshot hydraulic buffers good to go?

Thanks!
1/21/2018 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
A hydraulic buffer would be my first choice in this caliber (I've been building one myself but haven't shot it as I'm out of the country).

I have the Kynshot in a pistol and it's a good unit. Just wish they were a little less expensive (which isn't a complaint about how it works).

Great caliber. I fabricated a pigtail gas tube (from brake line) to delay the opening of the bolt after firing, which cuts down the velocity of the BCG during recoil.

G.
1/22/2018 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
KAK makes a .308 rifle length heavy buffer... 9.3oz.

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/308-lower-parts/kak-308-rifle-buffer-heavy

And you could swap to a slightly shorter A1 stock.

.
With all that said... if Tubbs still made the CWS, and I am fairly confident it would fit... that would work as well.
1/22/2018 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Slash (www.heavybuffers.com) has heavy buffers for AR10s, and he will probably know what fits and doesn't on your rig.  He's a site sponsor and a great guy.

I've been running a hydraulic buffer on a 5.45 truck gun for better than 10 years, it runs fine and I've never had a problem.  That said, I've never felt the need to buy another, I'm running mostly H2s now.
1/22/2018 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Does your rifle have an adjustable gas block ?

Honestly... that would be a better route to help mitigate the recoil impulse.... And allow more common weight buffers.

Just be sure to buy the correct OAL gas tube , since Armalite uses "odd" lengths. Having a spare on hand is a good idea... as well as the roll pin for it... lol, those tiny things disappear easily.

My .308 AR changed from a rather abusive recoiling ( and hard on the parts ) to a gentle pussy cat after the adjustable GB ... allowing the use of common buffers.

Easier to stay on target, softer shooting, brass cases in far better shape after firing... etc.

Just speaking out loud.

And BTW KAK makes an upper in 300 WSM as well... I'd like to think they use the 9.3oz buffer in it.
1/22/2018 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:
Does your rifle have an adjustable gas block ?

Honestly... that would be a better route to help mitigate the recoil impulse.... And allow more common weight buffers.

Just be sure to buy the correct OAL gas tube , since Armalite uses "odd" lengths. Having a spare on hand is a good idea... as well as the roll pin for it... lol, those tiny things disappear easily.

My .308 AR changed from a rather abusive recoiling ( and hard on the parts ) to a gentle pussy cat after the adjustable GB ... allowing the use of common buffers.

Easier to stay on target, softer shooting, brass cases in far better shape after firing... etc.

Just speaking out loud.

And BTW KAK makes an upper in 300 WSM as well... I'd like to think they use the 9.3oz buffer in it.
View Quote
was just going to point out KAK's 300WSM.  I'm buying one and as I understand it. its built to operate in a DPMS AR10 standard lower with stand LPK and stock.
1/22/2018 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, all, for the info! Lot's of useful information to consider...an adjustable gas block sounds like a good idea.

Also, might pick up a KAK .300 WSM bolt / carrier since I'm sure those parts will not be supported by ArmaLite. I don't suppose the fact that the .300 RSAUM rim is 0.001" narrower than .300 WSM would make any difference.
1/23/2018 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently started shooting an ArmaLite AR10T Ultra (.300 RSAUM), my one and only AR10 rifle. My only complaint is the length of pull on the standard rifle-length butt stock is longer than my liking, especially when wearing bulky winter clothes. Also, I generally prefer a carbine-length collapsible stock for instant LOP adjustment.

I contacted ArmaLite about alternative buffer / spring combos for this rifle, but they will not respond (think they just want to forget about the "Ultra" they brought to market). I'm not sure if the Ultra uses a standard AR10 .308 buffer / spring or not -- buffer weighs @ 5.5 to 6 oz. on the kitchen scale and measures 5.25".

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any ideas about an alternative buffer / spring in a carbine length tube that can handle / function with .300 RSAUM, un-suppressed, without beating the hell out of me or the rifle.

Had one suggestion from No Kick of a Kynshot hydraulic buffer with a heavy Sprinco spring. Are the Kynshot hydraulic buffers good to go?

Thanks!
View Quote
CTS Engineering AKTIVE Recoil Buffer Review


Attached File


CTS buffer site

You want this.... really. And the Tubb flat spring. Together, they make big-bore ARs a lot more bearable. I've replaced almost all my AR buffers (large and small frame) with these, and they work. Plus, very reasonable price. Takes a few weeks to get it due to demand, but owner refuses to cut corners.
1/23/2018 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
Thanks, all, for the info! Lot's of useful information to consider...an adjustable gas block sounds like a good idea.

Also, might pick up a KAK .300 WSM bolt / carrier since I'm sure those parts will not be supported by ArmaLite. I don't suppose the fact that the .300 RSAUM rim is 0.001" narrower than .300 WSM would make any difference.
View Quote
I would check with KAK before I bought anything, I would be willing to bet they won't interchange...
1/23/2018 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:

I would check with KAK before I bought anything, I would be willing to bet they won't interchange...
View Quote
This ... better safe then sorry.
1/23/2018 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I see headspacing could be an issue.

Of course, ArmaLite refuses to support their AR10 Ultra rifles with bolts, extractors, magazines, followers or anything else for the .300 RSAUM chambering, leaving their customers high and dry. I guess if anything fails in the future I'll have to get it custom fabricated $$$. PITA.

I'll never buy another "ArmaLite" product again.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor