Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2021 1:43:04 AM EDT
Are the Hungarian AKM over-gassed? Why do they have the gas venting holes on both block and tube?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#1]
typically dont have both... either it was over gassed and sombody tried to fix it or swapped out the part... dont thing i have seen them with both other then some home budget builds...
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The vent holes don't regulate gas pressure. I'd guess that someone just used a type 3 gas tube on an AKM.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deep_Purp1e] [#3]
It's large scale. In fact, all factory Hungarian AK's sold in the US including Kassner pre-ban and K.B.I. post-ban had the vent holes on the gas block and the gas tube. It's almost like a Hungarian AK trademark. Had me puzzled. I'm still looking for a reasonable explanation.

I know AK's are very forgiving. Is there a problem with such setup?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deep_Purp1e:
Is there a problem with such setup?
View Quote

No. You could remove the gas tube entirely and it would still cycle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Its true all the old original Kasner and immediate post-94 imports had this.  I swap for a russian gas tube when I am swapping out the furniture anyway.  Great rifles and until recently, a great deal could be had on the pre-94 Kasner imports these because it seemed that most people just didn't appreciate what it really was.   Full factory / milspec AKM manufactured in a communist country before the fall of the Berlin Wall - complete with F/A bolt carrier serial numbered to the gun.  I have a fixed and an underfolder.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Deep_Purp1e] [#7]
I have the underfolder. It's a very nice representative piece of the Russian AKM. And, it's a factory built gun. I don't care for the funky factory stock set either. Swapped them out as soon as I received the traditional looking parts. (I still keep the original factory set for the future.) I've had two post-ban (the blonde thumbholes) and two pre-ban. I'll hang-on to the last one I have. If I let it go, I won't be able to find a fifth Hungarian. I may find one, but a huge price tag for sure that is out of my reach.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top