Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2022 3:01:34 AM EDT
With AR-15s, some people will keep a loaded magazine with 10% less ammo than it's max. Do some do that with AK-47 mags as well or do they pretty much keep them loaded to capacity?

Also, what kind of springs are typically used in AK magazines? Stainless? Chrome silicon? Something else?
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Devildog] [#1]
Part of the reason people download AR mags by 2 rounds is so they seat easier during a tactical reload. AK mags don't have that problem.

I've owned and shot AKs for over 35 years and never felt the need to download a mag, nor have I ever had any problems loading them to capacity. AK mags (military issue, not aftermarket) are probably the most robust and reliable mags out there.

I doubt the springs are anything other than regular spring steel. If you are worried about spring "set" from leaving a mag fully loaded, downloading by a few rounds is not going to keep it from happening, which is a rarity in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Devildog:
Part of the reason people download AR mags by 2 rounds is so they seat easier during a tactical reload. AK mags don't have that problem.

I've owned and shot AKs for over 35 years and never felt the need to download a mag, nor have I ever had any problems loading them to capacity. AK mags (military issue, not aftermarket) are probably the most robust and reliable mags out there.

I doubt the springs are anything other than regular spring steel. If you are worried about spring "set" from leaving a mag fully loaded, downloading by a few rounds is not going to keep it from happening, which is a rarity in the first place.
View Quote

This.  AR mags are always downloaded by two to seat during a tactical reload (on a closed bolt).  I do the same with MP-5 mags.  AKs have a mechanical advantage with the "camming" required to insert.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Tactical reload?

Uhh, it's just a reload or load with the bolt closed. Not every AR is the same, some need -2, some -0, some -10.

AK mags have a mechanical advantage to insert with the bolt closed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
All my mags are loaded to full capacity
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Good answers. Thanks, fellas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Tactical reload?

Uhh, it's just a reload or load with the bolt closed. Not every AR is the same, some need -2, some -0, some -10.

AK mags have a mechanical advantage to insert with the bolt closed.
View Quote

A "tactical reload" means removing a partially loaded magazine and inserting a full magazine into a rifle or pistol with the bolt or slide closed on a loaded chamber.

Some magazines don't have enough compression left in the spring/stack of cartridges when fully loaded to allow the magazine to easily seat and lock into place.

U.S. G.I. M-16 mags are known for this issue. PMAGs were designed to allow for this. But, you will run across this issue with various firearm and magazine combos.

As pointed out, AKs and AK mags don't have this issue.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I only do this with MP5 magazines. I don't use GI M16 magazines and AK magazines are essentially designed to be loaded and forgotten about. It was designed for conscript soldiers to operate.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]

A "tactical reload" means removing a partially loaded magazine and inserting a full magazine into a rifle or pistol with the bolt or slide closed on a loaded chamber.

Some magazines don't have enough compression left in the spring/stack of cartridges when fully loaded to allow the magazine to easily seat and lock into place.

U.S. G.I. M-16 mags are known for this issue. PMAGs were designed to allow for this. But, you will run across this issue with various firearm and magazine combos.

As pointed out, AKs and AK mags don't have this issue.

View Quote

It's just a lot of reload with the bolt closed. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not a magazine issue, it's a gun issue. Spent quite a bit of time with lots of ARs and mags on the range. We've found some rifles just don't like topped off mags and it doesn't matter the mag as long as it is quality. During classes were have proved this by having everyone load their mags to the same number and see how they seat in other rifles. Buddy of mine has one that won't seat a mag with more in it than -7. Doesn't matter it is lancers, pmags, OK, whatever but the same mags in my rifle are fine with -1. My other rifle likes -3.

I've found it to just be more related to the rifle then the mag. All mags are pretty dialed these days.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

You cant really say you're inserting a full magazine if you're downloading your magazines.  This is removing a partially loaded magazine and replacing it with another partially loaded magazine.

For me, All my mags are loaded to full capacity.  Sometimes I event stuff in an extra round.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]

It's just a lot of reload with the bolt closed. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not a magazine issue, it's a gun issue. Spent quite a bit of time with lots of ARs and mags on the range. We've found some rifles just don't like topped off mags and it doesn't matter the mag as long as it is quality. During classes were have proved this by having everyone load their mags to the same number and see how they seat in other rifles. Buddy of mine has one that won't seat a mag with more in it than -7. Doesn't matter it is lancers, pmags, OK, whatever but the same mags in my rifle are fine with -1. My other rifle likes -3.

I've found it to just be more related to the rifle then the mag. All mags are pretty dialed these days.
View Quote

Won't seat with more than -7? Sounds like a crappy AR.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

Won't seat with more than -7? Sounds like a crappy AR.
View Quote

I've seen LWRC, KAK, POF, PSA, Colt, you name it have similar needs. I think the one that was -7 was a mutt. Anderson lower I think (could be anything), stripped upper, etc. Try it with your rifles. Take every AR you own that shares a lag and load the mag to full. Insert the mag, if you have to force it or smack it, remove a round. Once you have where every rifle you own with easily lock a mag in with the bolt closed WITHOUT needing to smack the mag to lock it in or otherwise needs to be forced in that is where you can load your mags because it will work.in any rifle you grab.

Welcome to what we call tolerances. When they don't stack the right way it looks like that.

Havnt experienced issues like that with the AK. My VZ58 likes -1 because everything is still wearing together.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 2:06:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#13]

I've seen LWRC, KAK, POF, PSA, Colt, you name it have similar needs. I think the one that was -7 was a mutt. Anderson lower I think (could be anything), stripped upper, etc. Try it with your rifles. Take every AR you own that shares a lag and load the mag to full. Insert the mag, if you have to force it or smack it, remove a round. Once you have where every rifle you own with easily lock a mag in with the bolt closed WITHOUT needing to smack the mag to lock it in or otherwise needs to be forced in that is where you can load your mags because it will work.in any rifle you grab.

Welcome to what we call tolerances. When they don't stack the right way it looks like that.

Havnt experienced issues like that with the AK. My VZ58 likes -1 because everything is still wearing together.
View Quote

I've owned 30+ ARs over the years and have never once experienced what you are describing. They will all seat with 29-30 rounds without issue. If it won't seat give it a tap on the bottom of the magazine. I guess it's possible but I have never in my life heard of someone needing to download a magazine by 10 rounds. That is not even remotely normal.

OP, I've seen guys like LAV say they do the same thing with Glock mags. I haven't heard of it with AK mags but as long as they lock in I would, and do, load them to 30.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top