Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2020 10:46:49 PM EDT
https://imgur.com/a/cWN6G1M

Hello, I recently have been taking care of my old purchase. The mags I got were all tight so I filed a little on the locking piece but that only happened a little I said screw it and got an M&M lever which helped a lot.... Like it was really tight before where it would be an issue. I would say they fit better but not perfect. I did get some new but surplus Bulgarian metal mags Orignally. I figured that maybe they didn't make the click because poor quality control and them not being used surplus mean they were never tested. I could find new mags that would fit perfect so I picked up some Xtech mag. So I instantly noticed the marking on the front of the plastic mags and some paint is actually missing on my metal mags on the same spot. I can knock the XTECH mags out they don't lock the metal ones lock but the lever doesn't reset in the back position and make a clicking sound. Sorry if this sounds foolish but I'm new the this and on the Reddit they just said drimmel the mags which I don't think that's my only option.

Also new to imgur so lmk if I need to fix the link.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
File your mags, not your firearm.
My WASR is a tight fit on some mags, I usually take a bit off the spine just above the rear locking lug if it hits the crossbar before it locks in.
Easiest way to check is remove the bolt & piston, then try to lock a mag in place and see where the interference is.
Normally you should get an audible click when the mag release snaps into place.
Filing AK mags is normal. Or just buy some PMAGs cause they are one of the few mags that seem to fit everything unmodified.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wanderson:
File your mags, not your firearm.
My WASR is a tight fit on some mags, I usually take a bit off the spine just above the rear locking lug if it hits the crossbar before it locks in.
Easiest way to check is remove the bolt & piston, then try to lock a mag in place and see where the interference is.
Normally you should get an audible click when the mag release snaps into place.
Filing AK mags is normal. Or just buy some PMAGs cause they are one of the few mags that seem to fit everything unmodified.
View Quote

I disagree. The easiest fix is to the magazine latch. Why modify a dozen+ magazines to fit when you can modify the magazine latch and be done with it? The downside of my method is the offending magazines may not work in other rifles and other magazines may not work in his rifle. If you are well stocked in one brand of magazines modifying the magazine latch is the cheapest and easiest option.

My WASR 10/63 magazine port was to narrow when I purchased it and it wouldn't lock certain brands of magazines in place even after I opened up the width.. I carefully opened it up and it a little on both sides until I gained the clearance I wanted. Now has the best fit of any AK I have ever tested. I would much prefer a factory defect that is too tight compared to a defect that is too loose.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top