Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2020 9:45:51 AM EDT
What would you consider today’s value of a Romanian
SAR-1?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:43:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The SAR1 strikes me as the Y2K WASR.  Romanian quality (not the best) in post ban config (no bayo lug or threaded muzzle/brake).  They were chock full of potential issues, just like a new WASR.  Trigger slap and canted sights were the big ones.  +1 for mag dimples -1 for AWB compliance.  Lately it seems like the propaganda machine is pushing the narrative that the SAR was better built, or a true military rifle, or something, but they weren't highly regarded new, they were just available $275 rifles.  Aside from the dimples and 'can't get em anymore', I'm not seeing any reason a SAR is worth more than a WASR, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:09:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HappyTrailz:
The SAR1 strikes me as the Y2K WASR.  Romanian quality (not the best) in post ban config (no bayo lug or threaded muzzle/brake).  They were chock full of potential issues, just like a new WASR.  Trigger slap and canted sights were the big ones.  +1 for mag dimples -1 for AWB compliance.  Lately it seems like the propaganda machine is pushing the narrative that the SAR was better built, or a true military rifle, or something, but they weren't highly regarded new, they were just available $275 rifles.  Aside from the dimples and 'can't get em anymore', I'm not seeing any reason a SAR is worth more than a WASR, but that's just my opinion.
View Quote
Nothing like rehashing 20 year old issues that were easily fixed or ignored by the end user.

Have you priced new WASR's lately - $700!
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle

Most guns go up in value with time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Shooting them side by side with other ak’s will tell you all you need to know...all my sar’s were excellent rifles and properly gassed!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By drobs:

Nothing like rehashing 20 year old issues that were easily fixed or ignored by the end user.

Have you priced new WASR's lately - $700!
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle

Most guns go up in value with time.
View Quote
And? It's still true they have/had issues.

Market value on the WASR is closer to $650 if you shop around. Atlantic isn't exactly known for their great prices.

The AK market is up, and SAR-1s have gone up in resale value, but they're still a rough, neutered example of an AK.  Even by AK standards, they weren't and aren't that great.  Sorry if my opinion offends you, but like I said it's only my opinion, and you're welcome to have a different opinion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:24:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Iwantfullauto] [#7]
SAR series rifles are great. Romanian dimpled receiver, chrome lined hammer forged barrel. Just thread the barrel and press on a gas block and fsb and you now have a pretty nice AKM.

JamesAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Iwantfullauto:
SAR series rifles are great. Romanian dimpled receiver, chrome lined hammer forged barrel. Just thread the barrel and press on a gas block and fsb and you now have a pretty nice AKM.

Jameshttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53356/20160925_231915_jpg-1315107.JPG
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
2000 rolls of tp
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:11:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EARRNHARDT3] [#10]
I had my SAR-1 threaded and bayonet lug gas block installed. And a red stock set.
Mine is 1999 I did polish the trigger. I have been kicking around stripping the blue off the bolt and polish it up. And leave it bare steel.

I am pretty sure I have more in it then its worth. But hey it has "dimples"

Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top