User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2023 2:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen]
Other AK forums have cool threads on the Hungarian FEYG SVD, lets have our own thread too

Range reports, furniture options, optic questions, etc, let's get them together here

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#1]
Reserved for accuracy testing

Tiger place holder
I've shot close to this with the FEYG but didn't make it official with Ballistic X

Actually I do have one group from August 2021 on the FEYG. PPU Match 182gr 100 yards

And another with 200 extra match

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:27:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#2]
Reserved for Nictra's mom
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 3:24:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#3]
In checking my notes, apparently I did a fair amount of testing back in 2021

Previous range session from November 2021:
TLDR; Horizontal stringing on the FEYG using an ACOG, but nothing seemed off with the rifle or the optic. I'll be retesting and using a different optic to see if this is still an issue

*** Definitely seems to be an issue with that specific ACOG. I tested on 19FEB2023 with the FEYG PSO-1M2 and had no issues at all ***

"We put a few hundred rounds through the Tiger and the FEYG today. My buddy is a long range precision shooter who throws down really good groups and we split time on both guns and shot a number of 5 round groups. We both observed the same results:

In a 5 shot series there would be 3 really tight, almost touching rounds, and then 2 fliers. The flier could also be shot 2 or 3, it wasn't always the 4th or 5th. This happened with 7N1 and 200 extra match and was pretty consistent. We would be working on a sub moa group and then it would open to 1 inch, then almost 2 inches, pretty consistently

We didn't call any fliers, whatever hit the steel is what hit the steel. We shot 5 rounds taking our time between each, and were shooting for accuracy. We both felt great and had been shooting smoothly all day on a variety of other rifles

We were not letting it get cold between each shot, but we did 5 round groups 3 or 4 times in succession, then took a 5-10 minute break to paint targets and get reset

These random fliers were consistent using the led sled or sandbags, having two shooters with both 7N1 and 200gr Extra Match, and with a DA Sandman K as well as unsuppressed. Optic is a TA31 ACOG which does have some parallax, but not much. Distance was 100 yards on the nose

The only thing I can think of is the barrel was still getting too hot and slinging rounds, but not vertically stringing. I don't know how else to explain it, or what might be the cause

Here are the typical impacts from the 5 round groups:

So I can't say I'm disappointed because I'm not, I've gotten a number of really groups out of the FEYG, but I do wonder why there were consistent fliers like that today. Hornady Black in my 6.5g does the same for example, but American Gunner is super consistent in the same gun. It's odd that both 7N1 and Extra Match behaved in a similar manner. Makes me think it's the FEYG itself, or maybe the optic. Hard to say"

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess I'll throw a couple of pics here thus far. Going to try and get out to the range early tomorrow before the wind hits again.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:04:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Took mine back out this morning while the wind was relatively calm and I could put up a bigger target. No wonder I couldn't tell where it was hitting with that little B8 target yesterday.

Target was at 109 yards using the same Sellier & Bellot 180 grain Soft Points.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:59:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#8]
We did some impromptu testing today. Most of the unsuppressed groups were 2 to 2.5 inches and not really worthy of mentioning...mostly they were warm up groups and getting the PSO-1's zeroed properly

I snacked on a couple melatonin gummy bears to tame the morning coffee buzz, and once they kicked in I could feel the groups tightning up
Nictra and I will probably make a day of it next week and systematically work through all the ammo types I have on hand

My FEYG and the Sandman S

Nictra's FEYG with included 24mm FH

I shot a number of these suppressed groups with 7N1 and with Wolf Extra Match. No group got over 1 MOA once I was warmed up. For me the secret was an hour of warm ups with various ammo types and then relaxing into the precision groups. I felt completely different after the melatonin started working and could feel it all the way down to my trigger finger. Everything was smooth and on point. 10/10, do recommend for shooting tight groups

3 round 7N1 groups with the Sandman S - .629 MOA

.605 MOA

I definitely think suppressing the FEYG will give best results

Rob Ski of AKOU experience is generally the same, and my previous years of shooting AKs and the Tiger suppressed have shown me that the suppressor can dramatically cut the group size

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Got Official in the thread title, check.

OP knows how to organize an epic thread. (posts set aside for updates), check.

Me setting the archive toggle, check.

I don't have one of these fine rifles, but I'm along for the ride. check.

edit to confirm I set the archive toggle and came back to thread to double check.
View Quote
DryFlash making this community a better place, check
Thanks for all you do. I know it's a thankless job but this forum runs so much better because of how you handle things
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:
Took mine back out this morning while the wind was relatively calm and I could put up a bigger target. No wonder I couldn't tell where it was hitting with that little B8 target yesterday.

Target was at 109 yards using the same Sellier & Bellot 180 grain Soft Points.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52698394989_a5835135aa_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52698554290_bef6fbed11_b.jpg
View Quote
Definitely better I agree
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Now that's a lot better.

I'm definitely a lot more happier with it now. Next weekend I should be taking it out to a nice range out of town where I can stretch it out to 500-600 yards, maybe longer.

My rifle should look exactly like Nictra's by next week as well, lol. Should have my polymer HG's shipping out Monday.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nictra] [#12]

I'm definitely a lot more happier with it now. Next weekend I should be taking it out to a nice range out of town where I can stretch it out to 500-600 yards, maybe longer.

My rifle should look exactly like Nictra's by next week as well, lol. Should have my polymer HG's shipping out Monday.
View Quote

Thanks to Zen for the HGs. I'm keeping the wood buttstock for now, going for the Valmet look, plus it's actually quite comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]

I snacked on a couple melatonin gummy bears to tame the morning coffee buzz, and once they kicked in I could feel the groups tightning up

View Quote

What brand melatonin gummy? I have similar reaction to coffee.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent and interesting thread as always. Love the 7H1 groups.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#16]
was a tough weekend for this guy. Try as I might, best I could really do was 1.5" group regardless of what ammo we used, and that was only like 2 times. Just couldn't get in the zone. I am enjoying the rifle, and as Zen has pointed out in the past, the groups really do tighten up with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Same here, I just couldn't get in the groove either. It just felt like things were off for me too

We did have some hilarious results with my FEYG shooting 2 feet to the left of the target which was insane considering we had just zeroed the PSO-1M2 the week before, until I realized I grabbed the wrong PSO (First world problems if you collect optics)

I did throw down some 1 MOA groups with the NDM86 and 7N1 though, which is weird because I've shot this NDM quite a bit with 7N1 and it really never gets better than 1.5 MOA

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing entirely scientific and the plates were pretty large , but I did manage to hit the 1000 and 1500 yard plates out at this ranch. This time I was using Sellier & Bellot 180 grain FMJ ammo.

I also changed out the stock to a commercial Tiger stock I found on Numrich Gun Parts for $80. While not the correct stock it still looks better than the sporterized stock in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BlgSal:

View Quote

Not to derail the thread, but taking melatonin during the day is going to throw your endocrine system into a mess. If you need something to counteract the caffeine try L-Theanine in 200mg doses or higher. Benadryl will also work but don’t use it too frequently
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LnWlf:

Not to derail the thread, but taking melatonin during the day is going to throw your endocrine system into a mess. If you need something to counteract the caffeine try L-Theanine in 200mg doses or higher. Benadryl will also work but don’t use it too frequently
View All Quotes

Roger that. I have difficulty sleeping as it is. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By ATLANTIC-FIREARMS:
Hopefully we will see more of these flowing into the US for shooters to enjoy.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/feg-hd-18-rifle-13.jpg
FEG HD18

I already regret not buying one of these. You guys are just thumbing my nose in it at this point.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#25]
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Anyone working to secure all the FSBs that weren't included with these? Because that would be dope.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By nictra:
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Anyone working to secure all the FSBs that weren't included with these? Because that would be dope.
View All Quotes
@ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

I keep wondering about that. You would think that they would've had some FSB's and even furniture that could be sent separately.

I did manage to nab a more correct FSB off of AK Files last night, although I didn't realize it didn't have a bayonet lug until after I posted 'I'll take it' I am halfway contemplating having a small chunk of lightly heat treated steel TIG welded to it and maybe machine the bayonet lug geometry into it or something.

Looks like that was a fun day.

It sure was, and I was impressed that this rifle went out that far out of the box; with a 4x optic.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#27]

I keep wondering about that. You would think that they would've had some FSB's and even furniture that could be sent separately.

I did manage to nab a more correct FSB off of AK Files last night, although I didn't realize it didn't have a bayonet lug until after I posted 'I'll take it' I am halfway contemplating having a small chunk of lightly heat treated steel TIG welded to it and maybe machine the bayonet lug geometry into it or something.

It sure was, and I was impressed that this rifle went out that far out of the box; with a 4x optic.
View Quote

I've seen this done before. I can take some pics of mine for reference if you need it, just email or IM me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Who is importing these.  Hopefully they'll be available from somewhere other than Atlantic.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Meatball72:
Who is importing these.  Hopefully they'll be available from somewhere other than Atlantic.
View Quote
Atlantic getting involved is a good thing. They are far more established and have a great reputation which is a good thing to have for these high end purchases
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Not to derail the thread, but taking melatonin during the day is going to throw your endocrine system into a mess. If you need something to counteract the caffeine try L-Theanine in 200mg doses or higher. Benadryl will also work but don't use it too frequently
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlgSal:

Not to derail the thread, but taking melatonin during the day is going to throw your endocrine system into a mess. If you need something to counteract the caffeine try L-Theanine in 200mg doses or higher. Benadryl will also work but don't use it too frequently
I'm ok with donating my body to science in the name of getting the most out of these FEYGs. It's an honor to serve such a worthy cause
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I got mine from AIM Surplus. I didn't even know they would have them available, but one night I was cruising their long guns section and they had them in stock.

I bought the last one, though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, was going to drive out the FSB pins last night. Unfortunately mine are in pretty good; broke 2 Starrett punches trying to drive them out. Might try penetrating oil or even heat today just to see if I can get them moving at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#34]
weird, ours come out easy. In fact, I broke the one for the front site drum that you remove to add the FH when trying to put it back in. It just floats now, not a big deal since I'll probably never use the irons
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#35]
weird, ours come out easy. In fact, I broke the one for the front site drum that you remove to add the FH when trying to put it back in. It just floats now, not a big deal since I'll probably never use the irons
View Quote

That pin on my front sight ring was kinda hard to punch out but when it started moving it loosened up a little.

I noticed some sort of grease-looking material in the FSB pins of mine, so it makes me wonder if they put in some sort of adhesive or threadlocker in the pins of mine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Atlantic getting involved is a good thing. They are far more established and have a great reputation which is a good thing to have for these high end purchases
View Quote

I understand that but for personal reasons I will not buy anything from Atlantic whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]

I understand that but for personal reasons I will not buy anything from Atlantic whatsoever.
View All Quotes

I respect that and not calling you out, but overall I think its a good thing for the community

Lets try to keep this thread mostly on topic about the FEYG performance
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:57:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#41]
Welp, guess I'm breaking out the rosebud to try and heat these pins out. Hopefully a press or anything else destructive doesn't get involved.

At least I've (hopefully) scored a full wood furniture set off of AK Files, might take a minute to get here though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Welp, guess I'm breaking out the rosebud to try and heat these pins out. Hopefully a press or anything else destructive doesn't get involved.

At least I've (hopefully) scored a full wood furniture set off of AK Files, might take a minute to get here though.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat on the polymer furniture, fingers crossed for us both
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm in the same boat on the polymer furniture, fingers crossed for us both
View Quote

I think we'll be fine based on that guy's feedback, but there's still the whole customs thing to worry about too.

On another note, I did manage to get the FSB pins out with a torch, but the FSB itself is stuck on there pretty good. Just gonna call it a day, unless someone can enlighten me on some tips and/or tricks to get this thing off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#44]
how good are you with a dremel?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#45]
how good are you with a dremel?
View Quote

I know what you're alluding to; I've had to do that to an AR FSB several years ago for a friend. I kinda hate to do that to this one. I'm thinking of fabricating a pusher or puller assembly to maybe pull it off the barrel.

If that doesn't work, then I'll go WECOGS on it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#46]
If you do, try and rig to use a slam hammer. Only thing I can think of.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#47]
If you do, try and rig to use a slam hammer. Only thing I can think of.
View Quote

My initial idea right now is a brass insert on a threaded steel rod going thru the flash suppressor (the brass insert being seated on the muzzle) with a set of brass soft jaws under the collar of the FSB. After heating up the FSB again I'll try and screw the threaded part against the barrel making the soft jaws against the collar pull up on the FSB. Maybe then it'll pull the FSB off the barrel.

Sort of like a press, but if you don't have a press...
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#48]
So I know next to nothing about SVDs except the basics but Zen did you have a Tigr as well to test with the Hungarian and NDM86?

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willisinnawoods] [#50]
After getting the pins out and still having trouble getting the factory FSB off, I did what any reasonable American would do and try to shoot it off. It didn't work, but it was fun and the SVD is actually pretty controllable for being chambered in 7.62x54r

Finally ended up carefully splitting the bottom of the factory muzzle device with a Dremel and then using a chisel to split it off, then put a NOS Tigr flash suppressor on it. I also have a complete wood furniture set that should be here next week.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top