Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2022 2:22:21 AM EDT
I know we can't get AK ammo from China anymore and AK ammo from Russia is coming to an end.

How much of the above named ammo is stock piled in China? How much in Russia?

Obviously, no one knows the number but there are words to describe stock piles. Ex: I heard China has "mountains" of 7.62x25 (Tokarev) ammo stock piled.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think anyone has that answer, but I am sure its in the 100s of millions.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No idea , but guess it would be in the millions of rounds sitting in China. I know in the late 80's and early 90's the Chinese ammo I shot was dated in the 60's. After the short burst of older mil ammo then the commercial packed stuff started rolling in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Why can't they smuggle AK ammo through the southern border instead of GetBentAndAll?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mojo7:
Why can't they smuggle AK ammo through the southern border instead of GetBentAndAll?
View Quote

I guess weight and low profit margins.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Russia is likely burning through 5.45 right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
China doesn't make 5.45, so zero?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 1Devildog:
China doesn't make 5.45, so zero?
View Quote

They use 7.62x39 as their primary?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

They use 7.62x39 as their primary?
View Quote
They use 5.8x42.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
They use 5.8x42.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies, all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:
Russia is likely burning through 5.45 right now.
View Quote

Most of the 7n6 that we got came from Ukraine. They’ve been trying to buy back as much as they can from former clients, so the supply of 7n6 remains fixed and dwindling as people shoot it up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gelandewagen] [#12]
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

Most of the 7n6 that we got came from Ukraine. They’ve been trying to buy back as much as they can from former clients, so the supply of 7n6 remains fixed and dwindling as people shoot it up.
View Quote

I wonder if they'll start re-barreling their Ak-74s to 5.56.

I bet a savvy contractor could run a rebuild shop. Change our barrels, modify bolt and install Polish Adapter for STANAG magazines.

At that point US/NATO could literally ship them loaded disposable magazines as God intended.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:
I wonder if they'll start re-barreling their Ak-74s to 5.56.

I bet a savvy contractor could run a rebuild shop. Change our barrels, modify bolt and install Polish Adapter for STANAG magazines.

http://i.imgur.com/sZg2Lmr.jpg

At that point US/NATO could literally ship them loaded disposable magazines as God intended.
View Quote

I think if they want to go with 5.56, the US and other allies would be quick to start shipping them crates of AR pattern rifles, magazines, and ammo. I believe Ukrainian special operations teams are already using ARs / M4s, so it’s not a strange platform for their military. It would be more efficient to just replace their AKs, and it’s not a steep learning curve to transition to ARs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I would imagine China has billions of rounds of 7,62x39.  They are gearing up for war, haven't fought a major conflict in decades so the stockpile is just getting bigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:47:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Chinese Communists have been building entire CITIES: Empty buildings, schools, bridges, paved roads,etc just to keep the peasants employed (busy).. You can damn sure bet they have small arms munition factories running three shifts.
My guess is there are hundreds of BILLION small arms rounds stockpiled.

When the screaming hordes are sent: They may not have anything to EAT, but they'll have plenty to SHOOT
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
Chinese Communists have been building entire CITIES: Empty buildings, schools, bridges, paved roads,etc just to keep the peasants employed (busy).. You can damn sure bet they have small arms munition factories running three shifts.

When the screaming hordes are sent: They may not have anything to EAT, but they'll have plenty to SHOOT
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Positronic:

View Quote

I saw pictures of those empty cities in the past. I don't know whether they are still empty or mostly empty these days.

About the screaming hoards, I was ask a question but it is for another thread, hence the one I started below.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/China-s-actions-within-the-next-10-years-/5-2623933/
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ming_The_Merciless] [#18]
Originally Posted By kenzo:
I would imagine China has billions of rounds of 7,62x39.  They are gearing up for war, haven't fought a major conflict in decades so the stockpile is just getting bigger.
View Quote

China had a lot of 7.62x39 that they sold off when they opened up in the 80's & 90's.  Lots of that good old Corrosive Chinese 7.62x39 not only to the US market, but also overseas too.

Remember all that 7.62x39 in the contract for the Afghan Army that the Guys from Florida won the big contract ($300 million!) to provide?  They bought 100 million rounds of Chinese 7.62x39 from the Albanians who had warehouses of it from the cold war.   Or course The US contract stated it couldn't be Chinese (because of reasons) so those fellers just reboxed it and delivered it to the US Contract for the Afghan Forces until the truth got out and the scheme blew up.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Dogs_(2016_film)

China never produced 5.45 x 39 and they have rapidly moved their old 7.62x39 guns to rear reserve & auxiliary units while everyone else is on 5.8x42  

One of the lessons from previous wars the Chinese experienced themselves, is it logistically sucks to have multiple "standard" rifle rounds in simultaneous use to have to produce, inventory, supply the correct rounds to specific units at the front lines in the heat of battle.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:

China had a lot of 7.62x39 that they sold off when they opened up in the 80's & 90's.  Lots of that good old Corrosive Chinese 7.62x39 not only to the US market, but also overseas too...

View Quote

I think even though we can't import Chinese ammo, we may be able to import Chinese made ammo from a country other than China after a certain period of time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#20]

I think even though we can't import Chinese ammo, we may be able to import Chinese made ammo from a country other than China after a certain period of time.
View Quote

I don't think this is true.

Tons of Chinese 7.62x39mm ended up in Iraq, Afghanistan,  Somalia, other parts of Africa and the mid-east, Vietnam, the Balkans conflict, etc.

Most of the "surplus" has been chewed through in the various wars and conflicts over the years.  Not likely that too many places outside of China are sitting on warehouses full of old Chinese ammunition. Canadians can still get Chinese steel core 7.62x39mm and from what I've seen, it's pretty recent production. I think the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s stuff is gone...
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Tons of Chinese 7.62x39mm ended up in Iraq, Afghanistan,  Somalia, other parts of Africa and the mid-east, Vietnam, the Balkans conflict, etc.

Most of the "surplus" has been chewed through in the various wars and conflicts over the years.  Not likely that too many places outside of China are sitting on warehouses full of old Chinese ammunition. Canadians can still get Chinese steel core 7.62x39mm and from what I've seen, it's pretty recent production. I think the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s stuff is gone...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I guess we can't buy some from Canada.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I have seen Chinese 7.62x54R imported as Albanian because it sat in Albania for 5 or more years.

That is the magic number I have always heard is 5 years.

I know a lot of Chinese SKS's have been coming in and it is suspected they are Bosnian war guns returned to the warehouses at the end of the conflict. I assume Albania is supplying these also.

I honestly think we could import the Chinese ammo in Albania if it wasn't steel cored.

We are hindered by 2 separate bans. A Chinese firearm and ammo ban and a steel core ammo ban.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 1:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Devildog] [#23]
Outside of the former Warsaw Pact countries, China and North Korea, 99% of countries who manufacture 7.62x39mm make lead cored ball ammunition. When was the last time we saw any true "surplus" ammunition in this caliber come in? The Iranian stuff via Israel and Albania, South African, Portuguese, remanufactured East German, etc. It's been years...

There should be plenty of importable non-Chinese, non-steel core 7.62x39mm surplus based on world-wide production, but there doesn't seem to be any.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Outside of the former Warsaw Pact countries, China and North Korea, 99% of countries who manufacture 7.62x39mm make lead cored ball ammunition. When was the last time we saw any true "surplus" ammunition in this caliber come in? The Iranian stuff via Israel and Albania, South African, Portuguese, remanufactured East German, etc. It's been years...

There should be plenty of importable non-Chinese, non-steel core 7.62x39mm surplus based on world-wide production, but there doesn't seem to be any.
View Quote

I guess they are saving the surplus ammo just in case.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BigHunt:

I have seen Chinese 7.62x54R imported as Albanian because it sat in Albania for 5 or more years.

I know a lot of Chinese SKS's have been coming in and it is suspected they are Bosnian war guns returned to the warehouses at the end of the conflict. I assume Albania is supplying these also.

I honestly think we could import the Chinese ammo in Albania if it wasn't steel cored.

We are hindered by 2 separate bans. A Chinese firearm and ammo ban and a steel core ammo ban.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigHunt:

I wonder how much 7.62x39 China and other countries are sitting on is lead, and how much is steel core.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#26]

I guess they are saving the surplus ammo just in case.
View Quote

More like all the surplus ammo we ever got was typically out of corruption and theft.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:04:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaAKM] [#27]
There was a U tube video of the head Wagner merc showing an old warehouse underground in Ukraine that they captured that was 1600' long & several stories high that was packed with guns, ammo, explosives, rockets & anything else you can imagine that Russia had stored there for the Red army back before the breakup of the Soviet Union. This was a salt mine that was several hundred feet below the surface, safe from any attack from above.

There were huge stacks of Thompson machineguns that the US gave Russia in WW2 all brand new in cosmoline, both the original milled ones & the later models that were stamped. There were all the types of Russian made guns, ammo for all, but nnobody wanted it as it was old WW2 stuff. They couldn't give it away during wartime & the Ukrainians left it when the Russians captured the armory. The place was rigged to blow, with stacks of explosives, but it failed to blow & was captured.

All this is sitting waiting to be distributed, but our government will not let it be imported intact & no ammo @ all. Bob Bowman buys things like this, imports it & cuts it up for sale, but this is off limits. This is just one underground warehouse in Ukraine. What is sitting in Russia & China is beyond our wildest dreams & is off limits.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 5:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: peacematu] [#28]
delete
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#29]

View Quote

I don't think so. I know Canada still gets Chinese ammo but we can not bring it across the border.  The Picture I looked at on a Canadian website looked like the steel core we used to get $430 for 1100 rounds was the price
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FloridaAKM:
There was a U tube video of the head Wagner merc showing an old warehouse underground in Ukraine that they captured that was 1600' long & several stories high that was packed with guns, ammo, explosives, rockets & anything else you can imagine that Russia had stored there for the Red army back before the breakup of the Soviet Union. This was a salt mine that was several hundred feet below the surface, safe from any attack from above.

There were huge stacks of Thompson machineguns that the US gave Russia in WW2 all brand new in cosmoline, both the original milled ones & the later models that were stamped. There were all the types of Russian made guns, ammo for all, but nnobody wanted it as it was old WW2 stuff. They couldn't give it away during wartime & the Ukrainians left it when the Russians captured the armory. The place was rigged to blow, with stacks of explosives, but it failed to blow & was captured.

All this is sitting waiting to be distributed, but our government will not let it be imported intact & no ammo @ all. Bob Bowman buys things like this, imports it & cuts it up for sale, but this is off limits. This is just one underground warehouse in Ukraine. What is sitting in Russia & China is beyond our wildest dreams & is off limits.
View Quote

I wish I could get my hands on this stuff. Mosins, 7.62x54R ammo, 7.62x39 ammo, Tokarev and Makarov pistols and ammo for them. Not to be sold but for my personal use.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Do you have a link to the video?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Efl15:

View All Quotes

Wagner Finds Only Antique Weapons In Ukraine's Underground Weapons Cache

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApFT-pLcAXQ
View All Quotes

@AROKIE

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#34]

@AROKIE

Thanks.
View All Quotes

@AROKIE

Thanks.

your welcome.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top