Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2022 2:07:05 PM EDT
I thought I'd post pics of my sks's, so here goes.

The girls I've had for awhile...
And the newest addition which I got earlier today.

M59 C-series.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat!  A little jealous.

No bayonet for this one?

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, the sks sporter never had a bayonet.  It was the last iteration of AK mag capable sks imported.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a model "D" .  It's finicky feeding.  

Ever thought about getting your "M" (or Cowboy Companion ?) out of the aweful thumbhole.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Not really,  I'll eventually get an actual D model.
I'm kind of a purist in that way.
My sporter feeds flawlessly and really likes my drum mags.
The only downside to the stock is how wide the forearm is...
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kmad2001:
I have a model "D" .  It's finicky feeding.  

Ever thought about getting your "M" (or Cowboy Companion ?) out of the aweful thumbhole.
View Quote

Like this?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By oxford411:

Like this?

https://i.imgur.com/T0vZQhv.jpg

View Quote

@oxford411 care to ealk us through what it took to do that?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Here’s an archived thread with a couple more pics.

SKS M restock

It’s in a Yugo stock.  It does take some fiddling to make it work.  The metal mag liner and opening the stock up is the worse of it.  I also had to do a little fitting of the stock for the trigger group to latch in properly and build up some weld on the cross bolt in the stock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Inimicalone:
Thanks!
View Quote

FWIW, I had found some info/drawing for the magwell liner on the net.  I’m not sure where and I think I lost the info on an old laptop.  I’m sure it’s still out there.

I did make up a jig do do the bending in a press and some others to trim it to size in the mill.  This could be done with some hand tools and a file if you have the patience.

Same with the stock, I did get it mounted in the mill and got some material removed but most of it was hand fitting with a file.  Again, a lot of patience.  File, check, file, check, and repeat some more. The stock does start to get a little thin in this area.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks,  for the heads up.
I think I have an old crapco stock laying around somewhere,  I'll probably use it as a test bed before I attempt it on an original stock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
@lnimicalone

Thinking about it, you should be able to use the metal magwell liner from the thumb hole stock if you decide to try something else.  You will have to fill the “duckbill” area in stock you are planning to use.

When I got the M it was in a plastic folder and the original mag liner was long gone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
@oxford411 no can do brother, no duckbill area on the sks sporter...
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry,  my reading comprehension sucks this morning...
I get what you're saying now.
(Heads for more coffee)
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting closer to my crate being full.

I'd be really close if my m59/66a1 and sporter would fit...
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:43:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#15]
I'm getting closer to my crate being full.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228016/20221204_110227-2623373.jpg
I'd be really close if my m59/66a1 and sporter would fit...
View Quote

I purchased a full crate of 10 Yugo 59/66A1's in 2006 from Southern Ohio Guns, it was pretty cheap around $2500.00 with shipping. I only kept 2 of them because the prices kept going up and I realized I could pull a profit plus get a couple Free out of the deal, still have the Crate in the garage buried under yard stuff. When they ship them in a crate, you get 10 pouches, oilers, and slings with the rifles which is cool because buying second hand the accessories are usually long gone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I know, I remember digging through a fresh crate of yugo 59/66's and picking my accessories.
I wish I had bought the whole thing.
Full disclosure,  my crate is for chinese sks-m rifles.
So I'll never fill it with the correct rifles.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:43:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#17]
I know, I remember digging through a fresh crate of yugo 59/66's and picking my accessories.
I wish I had bought the whole thing.
Full disclosure,  my crate is for chinese sks-m rifles.
So I'll never fill it with the correct rifles.
View Quote

Very cool nonetheless, I couldn't get myself to get rid of mine even though I won't ever have enough Yugos to fill it ever again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#18]
Attachment Attached File

Just got this one today. A rust-damaged Norinco/Poly that seems to pass all function and safety tests.

I might get it professionally cleaned as I could only do so much. All the parts are matching.

Edit: I also had the sling laying around and ordered a new cleaning rod and cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, the sks sporter never had a bayonet.  It was the last iteration of AK mag capable sks imported.
View Quote

And this model is the tities... takes ak mags, runs perfectly like the sks...
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#20]
It's extra fun when you throw a drum in it!
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20221223_152826_jpg-2646250.JPG

Just got this one today. A rust-damaged Norinco/Poly that seems to pass all function and safety tests.

I might get it professionally cleaned as I could only do so much. All the parts are matching.

Edit: I also had the sling laying around and ordered a new cleaning rod and cleaning kit.
View Quote

Don't worry about professional cleaning keep it lubed and shoot the crap out of it!
2 of my favorite sks's are the beat to crap Chinese guns that got here by way of Albania.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Don't worry about professional cleaning keep it lubed and shoot the crap out of it!
2 of my favorite sks's are the beat to crap Chinese guns that got here by way of Albania.
View Quote

Will do!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

That's a sksm.  It did in fact have a paratrooper length folding bayo , the AWB would not allow the rifle to be imported in its original configuration,  the lug was indeed ground off , can't remember the thinking behind the thumb hole stock
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a reformed collector. At peak, the collection was around 15. Had one of each I could get my hands on, including a fully papered bringback.

Here is a pic of most of them:

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Migmaqman:

That's a sksm.  It did in fact have a paratrooper length folding bayo , the AWB would not allow the rifle to be imported in its original configuration,  the lug was indeed ground off , can't remember the thinking behind the thumb hole stock
View Quote

Not sure you're correct about that.
The labanau import guns were allegedly purpose built.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top