Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2019 9:30:25 PM EDT
Ok, I know you are supposed to do all your studying BEFORE you buy something - but I just couldn't help it.  I mean I have a Sam7 and this thing came up for sale and it had the nifty SB Tactical folder, and it's milled, and it looks like a Krink that I've never owned, and well it's an Arsenal..and did I say It was milled?  Anyways at $850 I just couldn't help myself.

I've since learned of course that it's a SAM7K-04.  It had the rear swivel end plate replaced with a picatinny one and now sports the SB Tactical folder.  I know some people change out the grip, but I'm happy enough with it as well as the safety lever that is similar to the IWI Galil Ace I own.  I do not plan to SBR it as I'm fine with the folding brace.

It's not the newer threaded barrel variety but has the Krink type fake hider that ends flush with the barrel.  I know the gas block on it is a Bulgarian one like with the SAM7 so no standard Krink device if I were to remove what's on there now - not to mention I know the barrel is longer than it should be.

What are the options for:

1) shortening and threading the existing barrel to use a device, can I get a flash hider that looks like the Krink?  Any photos would be appreciated.
2) can the existing Gas Block be used with any devices if the barrel is shortened and threaded?  If not, what do most replace theirs with and where do you get it?
3) Oh and not barrel related really but what reasonable priced mount and red dot works well with this thing?  I read somewhere that the placement of the rear sight can interfere with mount/optic on the pistol.  Too bad it doesn't come off like the one on the Galil Ace.

I am probably going to get a Trash Panda for a 300 BO Q Dream Weasel I have so may end up using that on here too if I do.

Thanks,
Earl

Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine started out like yours.  I measured and the barrel by itself is too thin to thread with any sort of standard thread pitch.  Its a bit thicker under the gas block.  So, supposedly, you can machine off the front half of the gas block and then where the barrel is thicker, you can thread it for 5/8-24.

I did my the right (more expensive) way.  Ordered the correct threaded gas block from kvar and had turbothis @ mygunsnorthwest swap it out and chop the barrel back.  Total cost including shipping was $282.  Thats $122 for the gas block from kvar.  The rest was shipping the gun across the country with insurance and paying turbothis for the work.

Red dot mounts, the RS regulate ones in front of the peep sight fit, but are not easy to take on and off.  RS made a really goofy one that puts your dot behind the peep sight that does go on and off easily.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Will look into those options.  I need to get out and shoot it first and see how I like it stock, then go from there.  Earl
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Bulgarian threaded FSB, 24mm. Swap FSBs, cut bbl back to be flush with the face of the FSB, and done. The threads that used to be on the FSB were milled off (for no real reason, the Bulgarians just decided to do it, they learned their lesson from slow sales) and as a result there isn't enough meat to add threads to the factory one. Gotta swap it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a Bulgarian threaded FSB, 24mm. Swap FSBs, cut bbl back to be flush with the face of the FSB, and done. The threads that used to be on the FSB were milled off (for no real reason, the Bulgarians just decided to do it, they learned their lesson from slow sales) and as a result there isn't enough meat to add threads to the factory one. Gotta swap it.
View Quote
That is exactly what I did, just swap it out and chop it.

They probably had a run of a bunch of FSBs and/or cone flash hiders with bad threads and decided to use them for the SAM7K. This is probably closer to reality than removing threads out of flash hiders and off FSBs for no good reason. However, I could see someone getting confused about gun regulations here and producing something for no good reason
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
However, I could see someone getting confused about gun regulations here and producing something for no good reason
View Quote
There was a youtube video with an interview of some guy from arsenal years ago.  The video claimed the reason for the goofy front end was because thats the only way the atf would allow them to import them.  Not sure how much truth there is to it, but that was their story at one time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There was a youtube video with an interview of some guy from arsenal years ago.  The video claimed the reason for the goofy front end was because thats the only way the atf would allow them to import them.  Not sure how much truth there is to it, but that was their story at one time.
View Quote
Ah, well in that case I can only wonder if there was some sort of misunderstanding or misinterpretation. What sucks about that is there were a few thousand FSBs and muzzle devices rendered nearly useless for no good reason. Maybe they talked to an ATF guy who had been hiding in a back room since a few days before the AWB sunset happened
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
That definitely makes the most sense, and can change based on whomever you talk to at ATF most likely :(  Thanks to some fellow named Wilbur my Sam7k is neutered a little more than needed :)
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top