Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/30/2021 12:12:32 AM EDT
Just got a reciever.  Who does a quality build???
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
samopal-usa.com seems to be who tortort recommends for their new receivers.  Haven't used him yet but it appears they do nice work.   I'm planning on sending my kit there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fordtuff:
samopal-usa.com seems to be who tortort recommends for their new receivers.  Haven't used him yet but it appears they do nice work.   I'm planning on sending my kit there.
View Quote

Thank you for this suggestion, their work does look nice. I wanted to have them cut a barrel from a kit down to 12” and headspace it to a receiver. They said they would not due to the unreliability of the shorter barrels. They said CSA had this issue on their early pistols and created a proprietary gas block w tighter tolerances to make it work. Unfortunately those gas blocks are not for sale.

Dunno what I’m gonna do now since I was set on a 12” SBR. Just an FYI for anyone looking to do this.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang, I was going to do the same thing...
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Wildbill990:

Thank you for this suggestion, their work does look nice. I wanted to have them cut a barrel from a kit down to 12” and headspace it to a receiver. They said they would not due to the unreliability of the shorter barrels. They said CSA had this issue on their early pistols and created a proprietary gas block w tighter tolerances to make it work. Unfortunately those gas blocks are not for sale.

Dunno what I’m gonna do now since I was set on a 12” SBR. Just an FYI for anyone looking to do this.
View Quote

I sent an email to czechpoint to ask about the CSA gas blocks.  I'll let you know if I get a response.  The more I think about it though, the more I dont believe it...
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By muzzleloader:

I sent an email to czechpoint to ask about the CSA gas blocks.  I'll let you know if I get a response.  The more I think about it though, the more I dont believe it...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wildbill990:

I also emailed them and CSA over in the Czech Republic a couple weeks ago. Czechpoint hasn’t gotten back to me but Mr. Starosta in sales at CSA did with a day or two from when I emailed them. They’re response is below. I am going to go through with the build still and might have to do a lot of trial and error if need be.

Hi Wildbill990,

Nice to meet you.

It is exactly Czechpoint how will sell you our custom products or you can turn on your local gunsmith to purchase our parts.

Normally even the original gas block should be done well, it will maybe need to make a bigger gas hole in the barrel but be very careful to do that.

Not to damage your barrel. If you don‘t have experiences I highly recommended to you contact your local gunsmith.

Or you can watch some informative videos on Youtube there i sone extraordinary good named Anvil and he´s got a full episode around this problem.

I think about the SKS rifle or Tokarev SVT-40.

Kind Regards

I work at a gun shop but haven’t been able to get the custom gas block from Czechpoint. It be cool if they got back, maybe I should call though, I’m in no rush.

I’m gonna check out this Anvil person on YouTube and see what I find. I already planned the inevitability on drilling the gas port a little. It will have a dedicated wolverine so I don’t think it will need much.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I am aware that some European models have an unusual gas block that is a gasblock/fsb combo.  I wonder if that is the "proprietary gas block" that is being talked about here? Otherwise, the gas block is pressed on. Its not like its flopping in the wind.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with samopal.   Should be done late feb early March.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I am aware that some European models have an unusual gas block that is a gasblock/fsb combo.
View Quote

They imported a number of those as model FSN-01 to Canada about a decade ago. I have one of those stripped FSB/GB combos here in the states.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello, new member here, first post.

3 days ago I just sent my TortTort receiver and rifle kit to Samopal.  Dan was excellent to deal with as I asked many questions for about a month before pulling the trigger.  He quickly responded and answered every question I had.  I have zero concerns about my decision.  The fact that he is a fellow former Marine didn't hurt matters, either, as I always try to support a brother.

I chose to have him also polish my furniture; the fact that he uses no sealant or clear coat makes his work even better.   https://samopal-usa.com/polished-phenolic

The finish time is 3-4 months, of course I'll post pics when I get it back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I am aware that some European models have an unusual gas block that is a gasblock/fsb combo.  I wonder if that is the "proprietary gas block" that is being talked about here? Otherwise, the gas block is pressed on. Its not like its flopping in the wind.
View Quote

Can anyone post a pic of that, I would love to see that variant?
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top