Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2022 11:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771]
I'm very excited about the 102, so I thought I'd make a catch all thread for any new info and pics once they release.  Hoping they'll be available by the end of June.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Wish they had went with the CHF versions first, and offered a lower cost nitride version later.  

By the time the CHF versions hit the market the KR-101 will likely be available, which is a more "correct" 101.

I love what PSA is doing, but at that point I would probably opt for the KR-101 depending on price.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheMercenary:
Wish they had went with the CHF versions first, and offered a lower cost nitride version later.  

By the time the CHF versions hit the market the KR-101 will likely be available, which is a more "correct" 101.

I love what PSA is doing, but at that point I would probably opt for the KR-101 depending on price.
View Quote

I get it.  Unfortunately, @Jman_JJE stated the PSA and FN CHF barrel versions are a year out due to the lead time on those barrels w/ FN.

They also add roughly $100 (PSA) and $200 (FN) to the overall cost of the weapon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

I get it.  Unfortunately, @Jman_JJE stated the PSA and FN CHF barrel versions are a year out due to the lead time on those barrels w/ FN.

They also add roughly $100 (PSA) and $200 (FN) to the overall cost of the weapon.
View Quote

I'll wait...
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MyakkaVice:
I'll wait...
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey  @Jman_JJE, are the AK-101 magazines you gents at PSA making are going tot have the notches at the rear of the magazine from stripper clip spoons? 5.56mm fits in the AK74 stripper clips.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MyakkaVice] [#6]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Josiah posted this earlier today in another 102 thread:

Originally Posted By PalmettoStateArmory:

I just asked. They are tentatively scheduled to be out late this week.

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
They're live boys. Go get 'em.

I got one of these beauts:
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#9]
Ok fellas. Managed to get mine picked up.  Here are my initial impressions and pics:

It's a box.

Spartan interior.

What's in the bag.

Exterior.

Rail details:

Muzzle details:

Sights look straight:

As expected, none of the screws have any thread locker on them, so I put some blue on them:

Rivets look perfect.  Equally as good as my SLR106:

Let's crack it open:

Bolt details:

AC Unity mag clicked right w/ no issues. Polish Radom and ((10)) mags fit fine but they did take slightly more oomph to get the latch to click, but that's something that happened in my SLR as well until I had worked the mags in a few dozen times a piece.

Overall comments:
Initial impression is very positive.  The ALG AKT trigger is phenomenal. I'm not a huge fan of the QD sockets placement on the rail but that's just personal preference and, since it's MLOK, I can put one where I want it. The hinged top cover does have a small amount of lateral play.  Not a lot but it's there. You can easily shim it with some aluminum foil or something if it bothers you. I haven't Rocksett the hinged cover's screw yet.  Probably do that this weekend.  The actual side folding mechanism is stiff as all hell.  I had to "encourage" it with a gunsmithing hammer to get it to open. The hinge needs some lube as it doesn't pivot as freely as I would like.  Closing it and getting the latch to seat also required the gunsmith hammer.  My SLR took the same sort of thing when I first got it, but this one was still stiffer.  Not a negative or a positive in my mind, just a comment. Lastly, I'll be replacing the grip.  Magpul's is fine, but I prefer the Tango Down grip, so that'll be put on when I get one as well as an extended bolt handle (PSA, why don't you offer this yet?!).

I can't wait to get it to the range to get it zeroed (irons and the EXPS).  Hopefully I can try a few different, common loads and see how it does in the accuracy department.  Keep this thread updated when I can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Proconsul] [#10]
That's a great summary - thanks for taking the time.

I got some good news myself today....

Look what the cat dragged in

Ah-kah sto dva? Da, tovarishchi.

Fresh off the assembly line
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine shoots very softly, yet still launches brass like 25ft unsuppressed.

Pulled the cone hider off and replaced with a Griffin M24-1/2x28tpi adapter and Surefire 3 prong. Zeroed fine with a red dot, but am going to try out a Sig Tango 1-6 to see how I like an LPVO on the AK platform.

Not a terrible fan of the JL billet rail, but it works. Will be adding a light eventually to round this rifle/pistol out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
Mine shoots very softly, yet still launches brass like 25ft unsuppressed.

Pulled the cone hider off and replaced with a Griffin M24-1/2x28tpi adapter and Surefire 3 prong. Zeroed fine with a red dot, but am going to try out a Sig Tango 1-6 to see how I like an LPVO on the AK platform.

Not a terrible fan of the JL billet rail, but it works. Will be adding a light eventually to round this rifle/pistol out.

https://i.ibb.co/6NXLmSM/AC023634-FD41-4794-92-D3-6067-AD281-BAA.jpg
View Quote
Very nice! Did you manage to shoot any groups while you were out?  Did your rail come loose at all?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WIZZO_ARAKM14] [#13]
I didn't, I just got a dot close enough for close in function testing. Mag bipod, windy, target not fully stapled had 1" groups at 25yds with the dot. Completely unscientific, but I'm hoping it'll hold 3MOA with some actual effort. Haven't shot the LVPO yet.

The rail has been tight. Both my 102 and 104 are the same config, and I haven't had any loose hardware yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got my 102.  

Everything seems solid.  The sights needed just a minor adj. to zero at 25 yards (didn't shoot past that).  I had a few light primer strikes with Steel case Tula & BVA, but only one with Wolf Gold.  

I took it back out today after replacing the hammer spring, and the light strike issue went away.  I chalk it up to the after market ALG trigger. I'm not sure if ALG uses a reduced hammer spring, but the new one fix the issue.

The recoil was pretty minimal, especially compared to the Mini Beryl in 5.56 I was also shooting.  I did have a few feeding issue with the AC Unity mag, but ran a WBP mag through it without issue.  I look forward to PSA coming out with there own 5.56 mags for these.  

The screw on my top cover loosened, so I added some red loc-tite when I got home.  No other loose screw issues.  That rail definitely gets hot during rapid fire, so I was glad I was wearing a glove.  I'll probably add a FPG.  

Overall, another fine PSA AK.

Link Posted: 9/30/2022 1:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#15]
Alright, who's ready for another range report?  It's 72*F and low humidity and I'm vacation for 12 days, so you damn well better bet I'm ready for one.  

The set up.  Brought a Radom, a Circle 10, and two AC Unity mags today.  I'm shooting off a couple of bags.  At first I was shooting bent over as the two sit down benches were occupied.  This will have an effect on the groups:

Mags left to right: Circle 10 w/ AE XM855 62 gr, AC Unity w/ Wolf Steel Case 55 gr, AC Unity w/ Impact 55 gr. remans, and Radom w/ Wolf Gold 55 gr.

Gratuitous beauty shots. I think this thing just looks bad ass.  As info, this weighs 9.4# according to my bathroom scale w/o a mag:

Ok, first group. All groups at 50 yards. Again, this is not seated.  This from a bent over 90* position resting on those two bags in the pics above. Not exactly a stable platform for sure. The last shot I shanked just a hair and threw it low.  That's on me, but I don't post perfect groups. It is what it is.  Ammo is American Eagle 62gr. XM855 green tip:

As part of a later group, that shit got spicy for a hot second.  I've never had this happen to me before. Looks like it ripped the case about 1/3 way up and then jammed the next round into it.  I was somehow able to pull the separated case from the chamber w/ the round stuck in it with my finger.  After ripping everything apart and checking for a squib/obstructed bore and the bolt face, etc for any damage, I kept shooting without issue.

Only other issues I had other than that were a couple of rounds of remans from Impact that were super soft shooting (made for competition w/ ARs) and didn't push the bolt carrier rearward hard enough to strip the next round.  I slapped up on the mag in both cases and it stripped the round and kept going.  I stopped shooting that stuff after that and never had another issue with feeding or extraction.

Ok, Wolf steel case 55 gr.:

Wolf Gold 55 gr. in the center, AE 62 gr. bottom right:

Wolf Gold 55 gr.:

Ok, now, an experiment.  I shot five rounds of Wolf steel case 55 gr, open and closed the top cover five times, then shot five more, for a total of 30 rounds.  Here's the sequence of groups:

And now for why I think this is happening:
PSA railed AK top cover lateral movement.

That movement definitely seems to be playing apart w/ the shift.  I'm fairly confident in saying this is a 3-4 moa rifle.  It's holding 1.5-2" or so at 50 yards with multiple ammo types (that aren't match grade) from unsteady positions. I'm fine with that. If you're not, so be it.

And now, for shits and giggles, four mag dumps with no failures:
PSA AK102 mag dumps post warranty work for a weak extractor spring.

As you can see, the gas tube is loose again.  That sucks.  If had to do it over again, with all the trouble of the accessories on this thing, I'd recommend just getting the vanilla AK102 and forego the PSA high-speed furniture and figure out other ways to mount your shit. Side rail scope mounts like the RS Regulate are phenomenal. This thing is also very front end heavy, as you can see from the video.  I normally try to keep everything in my work space, but thing just wants to drop as soon as you let go w/ your support hand.  It needs a heavier stock at the rear at the least, which I'll have once I send off the eForm to SBR this thing.  I think it works now.  It's up to...750 rounds now? I just can't justify the inhouse accessories with all the troubleshooting
required thus far.  Get the conventional set up and add what you want later.

ETA:  Update on the gas tube.  Metal and heat do some crazy shit.  I know this from my day-to-day work.  I should've assumed it would apply here, because it does.  It's completely tight again. No wobble or anything front to back or side to side.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

As part of a later group, that shit got spicy for a hot second.  I've never had this happen to me before. Looks like it ripped the case about 1/3 way up and then jammed the next round into it.  I was somehow able to pull the separated case from the chamber w/ the round stuck in it with my finger.  After ripping everything apart and checking for a squib/obstructed bore and the bolt face, etc for any damage, I kept shooting without issue.
View Quote

This happened to me, and was remedied the same way, a few years ago in a Johnny-era Noveske with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Any additional updates?
View Quote
Been super busy w/ shitty weather so haven't had a chance to get it back out. I did receive my eForm1 back so it has a 100-series folding stock on it now. Very seriously considering putting a Midwest handrail and top cover on it. Just have to sell some stuff to fund it or save up w/ overtime at work picks up.
Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top