Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 9:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: riotsuit]
The rear of my PAP M92 bolt carrier (dovetail?) is deformed. The rifle seems to operate fine. About 1,700 rounds through it so far. FCG is an ALG AKT. Trigger seems to work fine, but for a long time it did not. The rifle would malfunction by either doubling or else the hammer would follow the bolt home (failure to lock up). Did troubleshooting with ALG for a while, sent the trigger back, they said it was out of spec and sent a replacement. They also mentioned the disconnector might be hitting the trigger guard rivet. In the end, the trigger ran fine after it was replaced with an "in spec" one and I used a G2 disconnector (which is shorter than the OEM and doesn't hit the trigger guard rivet). I ran a Tapco G2 for several hundred rounds in the middle of all that as well. I've read the G2 will cause this problem due to them being made out of very hard steel.

Rifle:

Deformation:

Questions:

1. What is most likely the cause?

2. Is it safe to operate? Should I replace the bolt carrier?

3. Does the PAP M92 use a standard AK bolt and carrier (with a shorter piston) or is it unique? Any suggestions on which to buy?

4. I run the gun pretty hard (rifle matches, training classes, regular range trips). What round count should I look at replacing the barrel, bolt, or anything else?

5. What should I look for regarding deformation elsewhere, for example, the bolt?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By riotsuit:
Questions:

1. What is most likely the cause?

2. Is it safe to operate? Should I replace the bolt carrier?

3. Does the PAP M92 use a standard AK bolt and carrier (with a shorter piston) or is it unique? Any suggestions on which to buy?

4. I run the gun pretty hard (rifle matches, training classes, regular range trips). What round count should I look at replacing the barrel, bolt, or anything else?

5. What should I look for regarding deformation elsewhere, for example, the bolt?
View Quote

1. The harder hammer striking the carrier tail. Very common, even with military AK's.

2. Yes, it's fine. Dress down the flared edges and just continue to monitor it. So long as it stops the hammer from hitting the firing pin before the bolt is locked up then it's doing its job.

3. It's essentially standard. If you were to replace it, replace it with an AKM bolt carrier as they use large stem bolts like the M92. The M85 uses a small stem if I remember correctly.

4. No hard and fast number to give you. Take a look at this thread to get an idea of parts replacement at certain round counts for full auto rental AK's: AK Abuse

5. If there is any deformation it would more than likely be on the lugs themselves since they see the most action. Check out the AKOU on Youtube to see areas that they inspect.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
AEnemaBay - Thanks for your reply. I'll look into your suggestions. Do you see any value in keeping replacement parts on hand, such as a bolt or carrier, the way AR guys do? If so, can you recommend a replacement bolt & carrier with a good reputation?
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top