Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/30/2019 1:42:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro]
Purchased a Cerakote handguard from Aero. Already seeing some finish wear from installation, and in a few spots from a brass punch barely touching it. With anodizing it would pretty much shrugs off any minor contact with brass/wipes off.

An AR/AK is a tool so I don't really care, but honestly at the end of the day cerakote is just paint.

Are there any cleaners or solvents I should avoid?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like crappy cerakote job. I have done several and no issues with any of them. No scratches or anything. As far as cleaning solvents if it was done right then there should not be any issues.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, and it looks like I posted in the wrong forum.

But the same still applies for an AK.

Oh get this the aluminum under it is bare.

I heard ideally it's done over Parkerizing/Anodizing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:30:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6GUNZ] [#3]
I've heard that it doesn't like to stick to smooth surfaces. Supposedly it's really best if it's applied over Parkerizing (not sure why autocorrect just capitalized that...) or that kind of rough chalk board like anodizing.

Also not a replacement for anodizing on aluminum in my opinion. Are you sure it's not clear coat anodized underneath? It's pretty easy to tell if you get a little needle file, it should skate right over it. Anodizing doesn't actually have a color. After they anodize, they dunk the part in a vat full of dye. Some complex chemical process I don't understand sets it permanently. But the dye has nothing to do with the surface hardness. You can skip it completely. It's just an aesthetic thing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 6GUNZ:
I've heard that it doesn't like to stick to smooth surfaces. Supposedly it's really best if it's applied over Parkerizing (not sure why autocorrect just capitalized that...) or that kind of rough chalk board like anodizing.

Also not a replacement for anodizing on aluminum in my opinion. Are you sure it's not clear coat anodized underneath? It's pretty easy to tell if you get a little needle file, it should skate right over it. Anodizing doesn't actually have a color. After they anodize, they dunk the part in a vat full of dye. Some complex chemical process I don't understand sets it permanently. But the dye has nothing to do with the surface hardness. You can skip it completely. It's just an aesthetic thing.
View Quote
Yeah it's just bare aluminum under it. Read a few threads about it on here. Kind of a bummer. Just glad I didnt also order an upper and a lower just to find that out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

Yeah it's just bare aluminum under it. Read a few threads about it on here. Kind of a bummer. Just glad I didnt also order an upper and a lower just to find that out.
View Quote
Hopefully their receivers, especially the lowers, aren't just cerakote over bare aluminum. That wouldn't be cool at all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 6GUNZ:

View Quote
Yep the material needs to be scuffed up before you Cerakote. I don't have a sand blaster so I scuff it up with high grit sand paper and have never had any issues.

Here is the last lower I did.
Attachment Attached File

.22 AR I did for my daughter.
Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top