Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2008 10:25:36 PM EDT
This guy uses a press to remove rivets from the rear trounnion.
I never thought of that.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=No+more+drilling+rear+trounnions&search=Search

I wonder where I could get a jig like that?
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PoliticalScience] [#1]

Originally Posted By Paintballer:
This guy uses a press to remove rivets from the rear trounnion.
I never thought of that.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=No+more+drilling+rear+trounnions&search=Search

I wonder where I could get a jig like that?

Link Made Hot

Wow.  Even though it's very simple, I don't have the tools/equipment/space to build those parts myself.  If someone were to sell this, I'd buy it if it weren't too expensive.  Drilling out the rear trunnions is the most frustrating thing about building as far as I'm concerned.  

By the way, did that guy sound like Hank Hill, or what?

Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
awsome. and i already ahve everything i need except for the modified pins for the barrel pin press adapter.

somone make me some step downed 5/32 pins like he ahd in the video that fit my ak-builder barrel pin press adapter.

id pay 20$ easy for two modified pins like he had in the video. throw in a block of steel with a hole in it and id pay 30$
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
tag to forward to a friend of mine who likes to tinker with those commie guns.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The few kits I have demilled I have done the same way. I will say, the first time you try this make sure you spend enough time setting up your tooling and press alignment, a shattered dowel pin can ruin your day in a big way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I will make up a few sets with the press block . Email me if you are interested..Pat
http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By PhreakMode:
The few kits I have demilled I have done the same way. I will say, the first time you try this make sure you spend enough time setting up your tooling and press alignment, a shattered dowel pin can ruin your day in a big way.

I was thinking the same watching that video. When I press out barrel pins I stay way to the side of the press. Don't want a barrel pin piercing my body.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 11:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ndsigbn] [#10]

pins are to be used in your barrel pin jig

2 pins with sleeve $16.50 shipped. (pins only)

If you have not eliminated all slop from your press this method of Rivet removal will fail and could be dangerous to your health.

Trunnion Fixture in picture is not included. (drill fixture project for drilling rivets on center ).

http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/        Please use email for info
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I just picked up a 12-ton press tonight.  So what is the "slop" you mention above?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 2:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ndsigbn] [#13]
I have the pins made up . those interested in them email me for shipping info.
the pins 2ea are 1/4to 5/32, one long one short.
$16.50 a set shipped.( PINs only) will fit the pin holder that are on the market from tailgunner and dealers

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:
He means if your trunion isn't TOTALLY LOCKED TIGHT it won't work...  If it can move at all, you'll not be applying the force directly downward onto a stable platform, and you could either damage the trunion, the press pins, or hurt yourself.

Gotcha, so I should clamp it all down.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 12:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ndsigbn] [#15]
Originally Posted By bolster:
I just picked up a 12-ton press tonight.  So what is the "slop" you mention above?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some pics of my attempt to take the slop out of the HB press.

replace bolts with Grade 8 ones then welded the corners after getting the press square. Added wheel outriggers . I bolted the cross member as I never need to change the hight . Works well..Pat
http://home.comcast.net/~restoreit1/

" border=0 id=img>
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
That looks like a good setup.  I was wondering how to get it to come down without play.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#17]
email sent...
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Will this work in ak-builders press kit?  Also how much for a holder jig to hold the trunion?  I will be need a set.

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#19]
PM sent. My understanding is it work with the ak builders press.

I need the trunning holder to make it work.................do you sell that by any chance?
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
They must have been out of the office this last week, they are not responding to e-mail.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Has any one had any success with this process?
Who is waiting for pins?
What did you do to get your press stable enough to do this?
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Mods
Is there anyway you could tack this thread to the build it yourself page?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
thanks ds
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
btt
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:22:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#26]
Guys, Pat is a one man shop who is normally booked solid for at least a month at a time with custom work. You'll have to give him some to respond to emails.

ETA: Wow, just looked at the date of the OP.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#27]
This is an old one but I will add my comments.  I didn't find removing the pins from the rear trunion difficult at all.  Driill press, decent vice, good center drill to start you on the way down the near center of the old rivet followed by a good quality drill bit that is under the pin size.  Drill about 3/8 inch from both sides.  Follow this with a hammer and a punch inside the hole you just drilled and they come out quite easily.  Oh, I just started my first build, thus the relevancy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Boy is this an old post, I guess it just shows how long I've been around.
I started this thread because there was a guy that had an idea that you could push the rivets out of the rear trunnions without drilling. It didn't turn out that way because the 12 ton Harbor Freight press has too much slop to do an accurate press on that small pin. It was a good video showing a slick way to press them out, I just wish I had a press as stable as his.
Drilling out the rivets is no problem if you square up the trunnion before you start drilling.
I drill about a 3rd of the way through the long rivets from both sides, then punch them out.
The short rivets I make sure the rivet head is gone swell neck & all then punch them out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 11:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APBullet] [#29]
Originally Posted By copper_head:
This is an old one but I will add my comments.  I didn't find removing the pins from the rear trunion difficult at all.  Driill press, decent vice, good center drill to start you on the way down the near center of the old rivet followed by a good quality drill bit that is under the pin size.  Drill about 3/8 inch from both sides.  Follow this with a hammer and a punch inside the hole you just drilled and they come out quite easily.  Oh, I just started my first build, thus the relevancy.

I use this method.  If the rivets still have the head on them you can use the AKBuilder jig and get excellent results.  Even though it's for the trigger guard rivets I use it on all the rivets to get started in the center.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top