Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/30/2020 9:14:34 PM EDT
AC Unity is making metal impregnated polymer mags for lots of guns and I just saw these at RTG for $15 each. Maybe this is old news, but it's new to me. Thought you all would be interested... https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/VZ58-30RD-MAGAZINE-NEW-AC-UNITY-14p8037.htm

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome! Might give them a try.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I really wish they (someone) would make 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on some 20 rounders. But AC Unity doesn’t make a 20 in any of their mags yet.
These should be decent mags if they’re as good as their AK mags.
I grabbed a half dozen of the gen 1 AK mags and they work fine.
I have one of the Fab Defense mags too. A nice poly mag, no fails, but hard to find for under $25
Surplus is still best but getting harder to find for under $25 too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The inserts are a zinc alloy and looks like they are die cast.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Ordering  a set of these and the aug mags. Will give a report.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kilroymcb:
Ordering  a set of these and the aug mags. Will give a report.
View Quote

Can you give an update on the AUG mags in the bullpup subforum?

@kilroymcb
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Was thinking of buying some of these but i looked at a vid MAC did on the AK AC-Unity mags and he was not impressed and said they were range mags only.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HYDRASHOKMONTANA:
Was thinking of buying some of these but i looked at a vid MAC did on the AK AC-Unity mags and he was not impressed and said they were range mags only.
View Quote

This AC Unity seems to work. But, the advice is - Save your self some wasted ammo by taking it apart and lightly sanding all contact surfaces on the follower and feed lips

AC UNITY AK47 Quad Stack Magazine Testing Round 2 at Atlantic Firearms
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By texashomeserver:
The inserts are a zinc alloy and looks like they are die cast.
View Quote

This is why I’m hesitant to buy a dozen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got in the batch I ordered. They look good. Feels as rigid as my Aug mags. But, of course, with the metal supports.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By coolpapabell15:
I really wish they (someone) would make 20 rounders.
View Quote

VZ58 magazine CSA 20 rd
$45.00
https://www.vz58usa.com/product/vz58-magazine-csa-20-rd/

VZ58 magazine 15 rd
$40.00
https://www.vz58usa.com/product/vz58-magazine-15-rd/

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
intersting, with aluminum surplus going up $25+ it's nice to see another player in the game. The Fab defense mags are nearly $30 and the CSA ones aren't much better.

I hear that the AC-UNITY mags have some various reports. Their AK mags are kinda "meh" (I had some, they were cheap feeling and had fitment issues), but the files and reddit both claim that their 5.45x39 and thei 5.56 ak mags are both solid. Wonder how these will turn out. I have my 2nd VZ.58 on the way and was looking for more NOS mags and was shocked to see how much that they had risen to recently.

anyone have an actual report on these yet? for $14.95 these might be a good deal
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wormraper:
intersting, with aluminum surplus going up $25+ it's nice to see another player in the game. The Fab defense mags are nearly $30 and the CSA ones aren't much better.

I hear that the AC-UNITY mags have some various reports. Their AK mags are kinda "meh" (I had some, they were cheap feeling and had fitment issues), but the files and reddit both claim that their 5.45x39 and thei 5.56 ak mags are both solid. Wonder how these will turn out. I have my 2nd VZ.58 on the way and was looking for more NOS mags and was shocked to see how much that they had risen to recently.

anyone have an actual report on these yet? for $14.95 these might be a good deal
View Quote

I've had mine for a few weeks now. No hard beatings, but normal range trips. No issues whatsoever. They lock up normally. BHO works. Load normally. I've also dropped them on concrete in every orientation from shoulder level with no visible damage. With ammo prices being what they are, its going to be a while before you have an extensive review.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By biffmann:

VZ58 magazine CSA 20 rd
$45.00

VZ58 magazine 15 rd
$40.00
https://www.vz58usa.com/product/vz58-magazine-15-rd/

View Quote

So has anyone tried the new production factory transparent mags?
I don’t see much on these. And it’s the only 20 round option so I’m tempted to try one, but man that’s pricey compared to a surplus.
Wish I knew someone reliable who was cutting down surplus mags.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:21:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By wanderson:

So has anyone tried the new production factory transparent mags?
I don't see much on these. And it's the only 20 round option so I'm tempted to try one, but man that's pricey compared to a surplus.
Wish I knew someone reliable who was cutting down surplus mags.
View Quote

yeah, I've tried the new production poly CSA mags. Solid enough mags, cheap base plate that is known to burst if you drop them. About on par with the FAB defense mags
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wanderson:
+1 on some 20 rounders. But AC Unity doesn’t make a 20 in any of their mags yet.
These should be decent mags if they’re as good as their AK mags.
I grabbed a half dozen of the gen 1 AK mags and they work fine.
I have one of the Fab Defense mags too. A nice poly mag, no fails, but hard to find for under $25
Surplus is still best but getting harder to find for under $25 too.
View Quote

Ditto on 20 rounders.  Not cheap but I just bought 4.  We'll see how they do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
There was a guy around the forums, maybe AKfiles, that used to cut down factory mags for ban states. I wonder if he is still around.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 3:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#18]
Originally Posted By kmad2001:

Ditto on 20 rounders.  Not cheap but I just bought 4.  We'll see how they do.
View Quote

Arrived last week.  
- Robust, well built All walls obviously thicker than metal.
- It was much harder to hand load them up than my cut-down aluminum 20's (wish Lula made a loader - does anyone?)
- Fit up into the well was tight and snug. That would probably loosen up.
- Hand cycling required the 100% full recoil of the bolt spring to peel off a round and feed. (don't know if that would relax in time)  
- The floor plate is a large block of plastic.  I get that they had to do this but definitely adds some bulk to them

At almost $200 for four of them shipped.  I think I'd rather buy 30's and have my machinist buddy cut them down.  Probably gonna sell these . . . . WAIT . . . . who the hell sells ANY mags (esp now).
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Might want to check those springs in the 20s and see if they’re just cramming 30 round springs in 20 round bodies.

That’s how my CZ 20 round Scorpion Evo mags came, so I cut a few loops off the springs. Ran much better and the polymer feed lips never cracked.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I suppose I could try that although in the past I have taken 30rd Yugo BHO follower/springs and put them in 20rd Hungarian tanker mag bodies which originally came with follower/springs that seemed identical to any 30rd AK mags.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't know if they are any good, but RTG has AC Unity mags for $15

VZ.58 mags
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
Don't know if they are any good, but RTG has AC Unity mags for $15

VZ.58 mags
View Quote
Those are the same mags in the OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ATLANTIC-FIREARMS:
So these mags have been out for a few months how are they holding up with the VZ58 Rifle

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/czech-point-vz58-rifle-pherolic-53-jpg.jpg
View Quote
I've been using them for months now. They've been just as reliable and sturdy as the original aluminum mags. No malfunctions. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HYDRASHOKMONTANA:
View Quote

So they didn't pay MAC off for a good review?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I have found the RTG mag to work flawlessly.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top