Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2017 12:58:06 AM EDT
So I just got my PSA barreled receiver together (I know, I know, it's been a bad day for them).  
So I have 2 yugo surplus mags and one 1 polish steel from AIM. I can barely get the yugos to sit, but I think they are locked in, very tight. The polish is a no go. FIRST AK47 so complete newb. Once the yugo's are in, I have to basically hit the mag paddle to get it to budge. I've read a little from a google search, but I can't gather much specifics. I know I can file.....but where? Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a common issue with AK's. The mag release is a "stamping" and often has "flash" on the edges of the release from the stamping process. These edges are sharp and tend to grab the mag where they contact. I always just take a jewelers file and lightly "break" the edges where they contact the tail on the mags. That should make things a lot smoother.

Youre not taking much off, just taking away/breaking that sharp edge.

I personally think filing the mags is a bad idea, especially if you have more than one gun. By modifying the mags, you may very well be dedicating them to that gun.

You shouldnt have to take off much metal at all with the file, just break the edges and remove the rough/sharp parts. Beyond that, Id say its either the mags or something is up with the mag release.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response! When I get home tonight I will give this a shot and see where I am at....I may be back with more questions haha
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bwc_oh33:
Thanks for the response! When I get home tonight I will give this a shot and see where I am at....I may be back with more questions haha
View Quote

How did everything work out?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately had some family issues to take care of. No work today so I'll be playing around with it-
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By iasc300ia:

How did everything work out?
View Quote

Well had to settle for a dog nail file haha- a little work and the surplus yugos are going in with just a little pressure. Still gotta put some ass behind it to get the polish one to sit. Going to get a proper file today and do a little more work. Appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to hear it
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By iasc300ia:
Glad to hear it
View Quote

I am back. I just want to clarify, it  looks like you rounded your edges on the very top of the mag catch...is this correct? I haven't played around with it again, but I am thinking I want to take a little more off because the Yugo's still need to be pushed in with some force. I still don't have my carrier back yet from PSA so it's not like I am in a huge rush unfortunately..
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top